Filing a disability claim with the VA

usmcstinger

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2011
The US Department of Veterans Affairs: Chapter 59 of title 38, United States Code, governs the representation of claimants for veterans benefits and the accreditation of representatives.

I was an accredited representative for two VSOs and my State's Division of Veterans' Affairs. After 15 1/2 years, I retired as a Deputy Director of my State's Division of Veterans Affairs. I am sure that rules and regulations have changed.

However, there are certain lessons learned that are ageless.

1.Veterans, their dependents or survivors should not file a claim on their own. If you have, you still can obtain free claim benefits assistance from Accredited Representatives Of Veterans Service Organizations ( VSO,s: Just to name a few: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America ) and State Divisions of Veterans' Affairs. VA Claims are more complicated than one would think. Using the proper verbiage, providing the proper evidence, adding secondary disabilities, statements of the case, C&P Physicals, and more will effect the out come of a claim.
2. Why do I need an Accredited Service Representative?
Answer: Accredited Service Representatives have the experience and training to navigate the system for you at no cost to you.
3. Do not rely on information from well meaning friends or anyone who is not an Accredited Service Representative.
4. Run from any group or person, charging a fee to help you with your claim.

List of State Divisions of Veterans Affairs:
http://www.nasdva.us/Documents/STATE DIRECTORS OF VETERANS AFFAIRS 2012.pdf

Most VSOs have offices at VA Regional Offices.
Below is link to all VA Regional Offices.
Veterans Benefits Administration - Locations

I hope this can be of help to you.
Thank you for your Service.

USMC Vietnam 67-68 Grunt with C Co. 1st Bn. 4th Marines

Last edited:

Forum List

Back