Feds seeking to lock up more people indefinitely

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by zzzz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    The law was passed to keep people committed who were a real threat as sexual predators. Now the Justice Department is trying to expand the definition.

Now these people do have problems but there is a trend here that is disturbing. As with any law some people try to throw a wider net and that is always the danger. When I see laws like this I always wonder whether it is a precursor for further laws or interpretations which will eventually try to eliminate the discourse of intellectual discussions or opinions. They could even say you are a sexual predator for whistling at a women walking down the streets or even looking at one lustily and off you go to being committed and labeled for life. granted that is a stretch but laws have been stretched before and will in the future.

Indystar - Justice Dept. says predator law covers non-violent offenders

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    HUGE issue here. SVP's (Sexually Violent Preditors) can indeed be kept in custody indefinitely (i.e., for the rest of their lives) unless and until they are deemed to be "fit to be returned to society," based largely upon shrink reports. Our office has an SVP unit devoted entirely to representing such defendants in their "fitness" hearings/trials.

They are entitled to a jury trial on the ultimate issue, but how often do you think a jury is going to rule someone previously adjudged to be an SVP, fit or eligible to be returned to society?

These are not good times for those compelled by whatever demons possess them, to commit sex crimes.