Feds Consider Puerto Ricans Disabled Because They Speak Spanish

English is not the language on the territorial currency issued by the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
If they want to remain outside of the box ... Then they ought to stay there.

No need to pay them American dollars if they cannot read the applicable currency notes.

BlackSand

Puerto Ricans are Americans and most are bilingual.

Idiot.

What the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China or the Puerto Ricans who cannot speak English ... Idiot!

I have traveled a lot all over the world and most people especially in Europe speak more then one language , only the uneducated morons whine about people speaking another language,. Me, I speak three other languages besides English. Yiddish,Hebrew and Russian

I have traveled a lot all over the world and most people especially in Europe speak more then one language , only the uneducated morons whine about people speaking another language,. Me, I speak three other languages besides English. Yiddish,Hebrew and Russian

Well travelled here as well ... Learned German by speaking English to my German friends and they responded in German ... We all learned better that way.
Spanish (and all the dialects associated in South America) is a little tricky at times ... But I have never had problems understanding folks in San Juan.

As far as English abroad ... If you make honest attempts to speak the native language ... 9 times out 10 they will respond in English, or quickly find someone who can.
There are a lot of countries where English is a required course.

In addition to American English, I speak two. I've never had to use Spanish in Puerto Rico. Not even on the small outlying islands.

Yiddish is a language now, guano?

The ignorance of some RWs is just stunning.

Yiddish was the vernacular language of most Jews in Eastern and Central Europe before World War II. Today, it is spoken by descendants of those Jews living in the United States, Israel, and other parts of the world. The basic grammar and vocabulary of Yiddish, which is written in the Hebrew alphabet, is Germanic.

BTW Edgetho Hawaii is a state.

:rolleyes:

Man, how cool is it living in the ObamaNation

SNIP:
95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish

BY: Elizabeth Harrington
April 6, 2015 2:25 pm

The Social Security Administration (SSA) approved disability benefits for hundreds of Puerto Ricans because they do not speak English, despite the fact that Puerto Rico is a predominantly Spanish-speaking territory.

According to a new audit by the Office of Inspector General (OIG), the agency is misapplying rules that are intended to provide financial assistance to individuals who are illiterate or cannot speak English in the United States. Under the rules, Puerto Ricans are allowed to receive disability benefits for their inability to speak English as well.

“We found the Agency did not make exceptions regarding the English-language grid rules for claimants who reside in Puerto Rico, even though Spanish is the predominant language spoken in the local economy,” the OIG said.

The audit said a person applying for disability in Puerto Rico who cannot speak English “may increase his/her likelihood of receiving disability benefits.”

The agency does not currently have a system in place to keep track of the number of beneficiaries who receive disability insurance for not being able to speak English.

However, the OIG was able to identify 218 cases between 2011 and 2013 where Puerto Ricans were awarded disability due to “an inability to communicate in English.” Furthermore, 4 percent of disability hearings in Puerto Rico involved looking at the individual’s ability to speak, read, write, and understand English.

Though 95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, according to the rules a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico would be considered “unskilled,” the OIG said.

The SSA told the OIG that the rules are applied one-size-fits-all.

“SSA managers at various disability decision levels stated Social Security is a national program, and the grids must be applied to the national economy, regardless of local conditions,” the audit said.

The SSA takes into account an individual’s education level when considering awarding disability benefits if they do not qualify for medical reasons. Part of the education requirement involves looking at a person’s ability to speak English, to determine whether it limits his ability to find a job.

Last year Sen. Jeff Sessions (R., Ala.) raised concerns that the Obama administration was broadly applying the education rule under the Social Security Act to allow individuals to receive disability payments solely because they cannot speak English.

ALL of it here:
Feds Consider Puerto Ricans Disabled Because They Speak Spanish Washington Free Beacon

The Cloward & Piven strategy at its finest, now we know why the SSDI fund is broke and the commiescrats say the mulatto messiah is all about saving America. LMAO

Yiddish was the vernacular language of most Jews in Eastern and Central Europe before World War II. Today, it is spoken by descendants of those Jews living in the United States, Israel, and other parts of the world. The basic grammar and vocabulary of Yiddish, which is written in the Hebrew alphabet, is Germanic.

More people speak Pig Latin than they do Yiddish.

Creole is a language, too.

Calling Yiddish a language is an embarrassment. It's not a language, it's a joke. One that even Israelis distance themselves from. It's like Ebonic. It's a gutter language.

Let me know when you see Yiddish on currency or coin

moron

I know all about Yiddish. Don't kid yourself. And I am very much pro-Jewish and pro-Israel.

I'm just telling you, calling Yiddish a language is a goddam embarrassment

How 'bout "Jawjuh?"

Man, how cool is it living in the ObamaNation

SNIP:
95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish

BY: Elizabeth Harrington
April 6, 2015 2:25 pm

The Social Security Administration (SSA) approved disability benefits for hundreds of Puerto Ricans because they do not speak English, despite the fact that Puerto Rico is a predominantly Spanish-speaking territory.

According to a new audit by the Office of Inspector General (OIG), the agency is misapplying rules that are intended to provide financial assistance to individuals who are illiterate or cannot speak English in the United States. Under the rules, Puerto Ricans are allowed to receive disability benefits for their inability to speak English as well.

“We found the Agency did not make exceptions regarding the English-language grid rules for claimants who reside in Puerto Rico, even though Spanish is the predominant language spoken in the local economy,” the OIG said.

The audit said a person applying for disability in Puerto Rico who cannot speak English “may increase his/her likelihood of receiving disability benefits.”

The agency does not currently have a system in place to keep track of the number of beneficiaries who receive disability insurance for not being able to speak English.

However, the OIG was able to identify 218 cases between 2011 and 2013 where Puerto Ricans were awarded disability due to “an inability to communicate in English.” Furthermore, 4 percent of disability hearings in Puerto Rico involved looking at the individual’s ability to speak, read, write, and understand English.

Though 95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, according to the rules a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico would be considered “unskilled,” the OIG said.

The SSA told the OIG that the rules are applied one-size-fits-all.

“SSA managers at various disability decision levels stated Social Security is a national program, and the grids must be applied to the national economy, regardless of local conditions,” the audit said.

The SSA takes into account an individual’s education level when considering awarding disability benefits if they do not qualify for medical reasons. Part of the education requirement involves looking at a person’s ability to speak English, to determine whether it limits his ability to find a job.

Last year Sen. Jeff Sessions (R., Ala.) raised concerns that the Obama administration was broadly applying the education rule under the Social Security Act to allow individuals to receive disability payments solely because they cannot speak English.

ALL of it here:
Feds Consider Puerto Ricans Disabled Because They Speak Spanish Washington Free Beacon
So Obama is paying Hispanics to be ignorant.
Ignorant to the English language, but why?

Calling Yiddish a language is an embarrassment. It's not a language, it's a joke. One that even Israelis distance themselves from. It's like Ebonic. It's a gutter language.

moron

I know all about Yiddish. Don't kid yourself. And I am very much pro-Jewish and pro-Israel.

Edgetho

I don't often read your posts because every time you make a fool of yourself, you quickly try to lie your way out of it.

You wrote:

IOW, you do not "know all about Yiddish". You did not even know that Yiddish is a language.

Your mistake has nothing at all to do with how many people speak it. After all, Latin is a language but you'd be hard put to find many who speak it.

Have the dignity and integrity to simply admit you made a mistake.

Or, lie about it.

moron

Since you are an ignorant goy let me explain it to you , I was brought up in a house where my grandparents spoke Yiddish ( as it was their first langue, they were brought up in the Shtetl in Russia and escaped to America because of the pogroms by the dity goyim). My parents also spoke Yiddish, and we kids picked it up .

Get an education you dumb goy

Yiddish language - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Yiddish is used in a large number of Orthodox Jewish communities worldwide and is the first language of the home, school, and in many social settings among most Hasids. Yiddish is also the academic language of the study of the Talmud according to the tradition of the Lithuanian yeshivas.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back