Federal judge strikes down part of Utah’s ban on polygamy

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Federal judge strikes down part of Utah’s ban on polygamy
KSTU ^ | 8/27/2014 | BEN WINSLOW AND MARK GREEN
http://www.freerepublic.com/~markomalley/

A federal judge declared a portion of Utah’s polygamy ban unconstitutional late Wednesday, essentially decriminalizing polygamy in the state.

U.S. District Court Judge Clark Waddoups ruled the phrase in the law “‘or cohabits with another person’ is a violation of the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and is without a rational basis under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

The ruling comes in a lawsuit filed by reality TV polygamist Kody Brown and his wives, who left Utah fearing prosecution. They sued the state, arguing that the ban violated their right to freely practice their religion.

The ruling follows a similar order in December of last year that the judge took back while he decided the issue of damages. In the order, Judge Waddoups did preserve the phrases “marry” and “purports to marry” to “save the statute from being invalidated in its entirety.”

The judge also awarded financial compensation to the Brown family.

Read the ruling here:

(Excerpt) Read more at fox13now.com ...

I find it odd that the discussion of polygamy almost always ends up talking about multiple wives. I can also go the other way and allow for multiple husbands. Which, logically, would work better.

I find it odd that the discussion of polygamy almost always ends up talking about multiple wives. I can also go the other way and allow for multiple husbands. Which, logically, would work better.

Women don't have swords that may cross. :oops-28:

Polygamy doesn't necessarily mean orgies. But, especially as they get older, one woman is more likely to be able to keep two men happy than one man is likely to keep two women happy.

Logic and human affairs rarely overlap though.

Look at where polygamy flourishes, the women choose to be the 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th wife of a high status man rather than the poor wife of some goat herder out in desert. You'd think all those goat-herders would band together and share one wife, but they don't.

Polygamy doesn't necessarily mean orgies. But, especially as they get older, one woman is more likely to be able to keep two men happy than one man is likely to keep two women happy.

When I get older I vote for two women keeping me happy.

Logic and human affairs rarely overlap though.

Look at where polygamy flourishes, the women choose to be the 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th wife of a high status man rather than the poor wife of some goat herder out in desert. You'd think all those goat-herders would band together and share one wife, but they don't.

You would be surprised how popular polyamory is among urban folks in the US. At the risk of starting a riot with the right-wingers, there is no reason to maintain a monogamous relationship if the parties involved prefer a more open arrangement.

I think an honest, poly relationship is better than many people realize.

Is it scalable and is it durable? No and no.

Not sure what you mean by scalable. Make it bigger? Sure.

Durable? I think it is as durable, if not more durable, than mono relationships.

If you have one partner, and you are not getting something you want or need, in poly you have an option. In a monogamous relationship you have none that are good for the relationship.

The trick is, can people overcome their jealousy or just not be jealous? Some certainly can.

I knew a poly family once, not religious poly, just odd (to me) poly. They had levels of commitment, 3 had been together over 10 years and some would come and go. One was totally asexual but I think she was the head of the household. They were nice but odd. They did that thing LiberalMedia does with all the y's instead of e's. That tweaks my OCD, but that was my only real complaint about them, personally. It seemed to me they just formed a family, as none of them seemed to have blood relatives. No other comment, just hadn't thought of them in a while.

Durable? I think it is as durable, if not more durable, than mono relationships.

If you have one partner, and you are not getting something you want or need, in poly you have an option. In a monogamous relationship you have none that are good for the relationship.

The trick is, can people overcome their jealousy or just not be jealous? Some certainly can.

The operative word is "some" meaning it's not really scalable up to society transforming levels. The research I've seen on open relationships is that they are not durable for the long run.

I get the feeling that your descriptions are too rooted in idealism, like you've analyzed the situation and come to the conclusion that this should all work in practice. If so, you need to contend with humans as they are, we're not really some new Soviet Man who can be engineered to specifications.

Back to the issue of jealousy. It can certainly be avoided in some situations and the trick is to learn to not give a damn. To have low investment in the relationship - this is what I've actually seen from college friends who thought they were breaking new paths. Why get jealous when you can walk away without much pain or grief. If you hold back, then you're not really committing to a relationship.

I knew a poly family once, not religious poly, just odd (to me) poly. They had levels of commitment, 3 had been together over 10 years and some would come and go. One was totally asexual but I think she was the head of the household. They were nice but odd. They did that thing LiberalMedia does with all the y's instead of e's. That tweaks my OCD, but that was my only real complaint about them, personally. It seemed to me they just formed a family, as none of them seemed to have blood relatives. No other comment, just hadn't thought of them in a while.

I know several poly families. For some it involves a primary relationship, with others coming in and going as the relationship grow closer or apart. For some it is 3 or 4 people involved in a long term relationship.

In any case, it is not swinging or just an open relationship, because the others involved are more than just "fuck buddies".

One thing that holds true across the board is the honesty involved.

The operative word is "some" meaning it's not really scalable up to society transforming levels. The research I've seen on open relationships is that they are not durable for the long run.

I get the feeling that your descriptions are too rooted in idealism, like you've analyzed the situation and come to the conclusion that this should all work in practice. If so, you need to contend with humans as they are, we're not really some new Soviet Man who can be engineered to specifications.

Back to the issue of jealousy. It can certainly be avoided in some situations and the trick is to learn to not give a damn. To have low investment in the relationship - this is what I've actually seen from college friends who thought they were breaking new paths. Why get jealous when you can walk away without much pain or grief. If you hold back, then you're not really committing to a relationship.

I disagree on the answer to the jealousy part. It is not about not being invested in the relationship. Quite teh contrary, it is about being very invested in the relationship. It is about being so invested and so secure that another person being involved does not threaten you. One couple I know has a woman with a few men she "dates". But her primary (in this case, a husband) know she loves him and knows he is not losing anything to her other "boyfriends". It is not just sex, because they all truly care for and about one another. It is simply a variation on the common relationship dynamics.

Forum List

Back