Federal Debt Ceiling

Discussion in 'Economy' started by sbriggman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sbriggman

sbriggman Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm interested in what other people think about all the media hype around the federal debt ceiling. Do you think there would be severe economic consequences if the government fails to raise it by august 2nd?

Also, do you think the S&P or Moody's is warranted in downgrading the US?

I just wrote a blog post on the matter and am interested in what other people think.
    XXXXX-edited-Meister

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    If you're interested in what other people think, then stick around and find out rather than redirecting traffic to your blog.

Poor form, dude.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. sbriggman

sbriggman Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm posing a question to find out what other people think. They can decide whether or not they want to see my opinion which I wrote as an article on my blog.

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Uncle Ferd wantin' to know if Nancy Pelosi is up for a round o' hide-the-salami?...
    :tongue:
    Obama, Republicans make debt sausage
    Jul 22, 2011 - The debt debate has had its share of food metaphors -- President Obama says lawmakers have to "eat our peas," while John Boehner says talking to the White House is like "dealing with Jell-O" -- but a more familiar description is apt as a government default looms.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    I would like peoples opinion on X.
    I wrote a blog here www......com
    On this subject I wrote a blog, what is your opinion.
    I write blogs.

6. sbriggman

sbriggman Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wrote a blog post on the federal debt ceiling because it's a topic I'm interested in. I posted on this forum because I want to hear other people's points of view and connect with like-minded people who believe the media is making this out to be more of a financial crisis than it really is.

Unfortunately, as your response exemplifies, it's been difficult to find actual intelligent conversation about the debt ceiling with people who actually are interested in the economy. :)

7. BruceB73

BruceB73 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked up this discussion forum thinking there might be some interesting insight into the topic, not to see a big discussion of whether or not someone should have written a blog. By the way, it seems the link has been edited out anyway.

So, here's what I don't get. Why is it that Obama says cooperation but means you have to do it my way? Is he so deathly afraid that he won't get re-elected that he won't negotiate an intermediate debt ceiling? Seems to me that he doesn't really want to address the problem before the election for fear of loosing out to the Republican pressure. I agree with him that it's past time to get serious. But when I say cooperation, I mean both sides. I'm very much against a tax on "rich" but favor some tax reform. The only tax reform that Obama talks about though is targeted to those over $250K per year (by the way, clearly he's never visited the area between Washington and NYC or he'd know that $250K+ doesn't make you "rich"). I think Boehner has accepted some tax reform, why can't the President accept an intermediate increase in the ceiling? Seems to me we have a deal if that can happen.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098

Everytime I hear Obama say "it is time to get serious about debt reduction"...it is like an alcoholic calling for prohibition.