Featured Workers Call Bain Film Inaccurate

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Featured Workers Call Bain Film Inaccurate
WSJ ^ | JANUARY 14, 2012 | ELIZABETH WILLIAMSON

Featured Workers Call Bain Film Inaccurate - WSJ.com
Three former factory workers featured in a film about layoffs at companies bought by Mitt Romney's Bain Capital say they weren't laid off by Bain, as the film implied, but got promotions and raises after Bain bought the plant they worked in...

Mike Baxley and Tracy and Tommy Jones worked at UniMac, a washing-machine plant in Marianna, Fla., that Bain purchased in 1998. They are three of the seven workers named in the film and the only ones mentioned in the Marianna segment.

The film presents the workers as saying that after Bain bought the plant, the company cut costs at the expense of product quality and worker welfare, and that they lost their jobs.

In fact, the company was sold by Bain to Teachers' Private Capital, the private-equity arm of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, in 2005. It was the Canadian purchaser that oversaw the Florida plant's closure and the shift of its operations to Ripon, Wis., in 2006.

During Bain's ownership, the three employees each received multiple promotions, they said. After the plant closed, Mr. Jones said, he landed a consulting contract with UniMac's parent company, helping to coordinate the move of that plant and another in Florida. He, his wife, Tracy, and Mr. Baxley parlayed that work into Washers-R-Us, a commercial washing-machine sales-and-service business in Marianna...

(Excerpt) Read more at online.wsj.com ...

More interesting thread title: Teachers' Pension Buys Washing Machine Plant.
wtf

I didnt get that either. WTF is any union doing buying any companies?

This is why so many pensions are horribly underfunded. You think they'd put the money in safe, secure, conservative instruments. Illinois' TRS is underfunded by $50 billion. That's with a B. Couple that with mismanagement and shadey accounting and it's a recipe for disaster.

3 out of how many? Then someone else tried to show another Bain "Success" where they received tens of millions in government money for just one of their companies.

This is why Mitt won't release his tax returns. In fact, with family from Mexico and his parents living in Canada and him speaking French, I want to see that animal abuser's long for birth certificate.

Do a search on: bain recieved taxpayer money

and pick your source.

wtf

The same thing CHurches, and other groups are. Investment.

Which is kind of the problem. Investment requires immediate return, not long term return, hense why the business community is so chaotic today, always looking for the cheap fix.

3 out of how many? Then someone else tried to show another Bain "Success" where they received tens of millions in government money for just one of their companies.

This is why Mitt won't release his tax returns. In fact, with family from Mexico and his parents living in Canada and him speaking French, I want to see that animal abuser's long for birth certificate.

Do a search on: bain recieved taxpayer money

and pick your source.

3 out of like 6 People featured in that 20 min long Movie of Straight lies.

wtf

OTPPB invests in directly in private equity investments. Private equity investments have higher returns than most other investments. The difference is that Ontario Teachers invests directly. Most pensions - and most pensions invest in private equity - instead give money to companies like Bain to invest for them.

And the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board is a highly professional organization.

wtf

This is why so many pensions are horribly underfunded. You think they'd put the money in safe, secure, conservative instruments. Illinois' TRS is underfunded by $50 billion. That's with a B. Couple that with mismanagement and shadey accounting and it's a recipe for disaster.

No it is not why most pension funds are underfunded. Most pension funds are underfunded because pension contributions have not been high enough.

No it is not why most pension funds are underfunded. Most pension funds are underfunded because pension contributions have not been high enough.

You mean matching contributions?
yes agreed

WHY do people believe that unions have big money? How can they be so gullible?

Take a look at the percentage of workers who were in a union 30 years ago and compare it to the number now.

Fact is, unions are dying because Big Money is winning and the idiot rw's are so afraid of someone making a living wage, they're throwing away their children's futures.

If you want to work for a fraction of what you're worth, its okay with me. But, that doesn't mean you have to screw over everyone else.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back