FCC commissioner wants to scrap Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I outright dare anyone to justify this one.

FCC's Copps calls on agency to address decline of 'real journalism' - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

And, in case anyone actually thinks this is a good idea, just remember that the Democrats will not always be in charge, and a Republican might just appoing Glen Beck as the head of the FCC and let him deside what is fair, balanced, and passes that Public Values Test.

2. Flagwavrusa

Flagwavrusa "Stop complainin!"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The Obama administration has been trying to figure out a way to get rid of right wing media ever since he was elected. I think this was a trial balloon and Copps is serious about putting the FCC in charge of who can and cannot be allowed on the air. Left Wing hacks like Obermann, Mathews, and Maddow would be sanctioned, but anyone on the right will be deemed un-newsworthy. What's after that? Controlling individual thought? The unorthodox being forced to attend reeducation training?

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I knew from the title that this thread was bull shit.

the only truth in it is that real journalism is pretty much dead in America.

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    They just extended the patriot act provisions for 3 more months of constitution breaking and now they want to impliment this abomination?

Seriously the constitution is there for a reason....one of those reasons being the government should never have this type of control or power over the media. We are still the USA not the old USSR here people, this would make our media's content controlled by the government.

NO NO NO

Kinda reminded me of an email I got comparing conservatives to liberals that said the following:

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
    If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
    If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
    If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
    A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
    If a liberal doesn't like a talk show host he demands the show be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141

I hate to agree, QW is usually pretty quality but unless you have a direct quote saying "I want to scrap (or similar) the constitution" it's putting words in someone’s mouth.

I do agree that it's sad times when people in power want to attack media (fox news in this case) but of course never mention CNN/MSNBC, NPR and so on. This country is falling apart and I'm starting to believe it might lead to civil war.

We have 2 sides in essence, one that would be happy with a King as long as that King thinks like them and then people that support the constitution and a freer society. It's really that divided, and it's sad. This is not a liberal/conservative argument either as both sides are hypocrites when it comes to the constitution. Liberals seem to be worse only because I believe they as a whole are far less educated in politics as proven by many studies. However with the birth of the Neocons, Republicans near match Liberals with support for a warfare/welfare state.

The Bush Neocons are almost the same people that would call themselves Progressive liberals. A true liberal and a true conservative are relatively the same thing as they would have to follow the rules of the constitution. This fake Pro light rail/HC/war/spend Liberal and fake conservative BS has managed to blur the lines. Today your average BS liberal VS your average BS conservative only differ on pathetic issues like Gay marriage and abortion.

6. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    If a naked breast can be banned by the FCC and fines allocated for using the F word, why shouldn't lies, half-truths, libel and other forms of defamation be regulated by the FCC?

7. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    For the most part, on the issues you used I agree... However on the bolded I believe the constitution is here to protect our equal rights as citizens and this does not mean a man and a woman can get married but a woman and a woman can't. It's that simple and there is literally not debate unless a person is a bigot /hater of the constitution. There is not "if we let a man/man get married what’s next, a man getting married to a hoarse?" The constitution does not recognize a hoarse, nor can a hoarse consent or say no to marriage thus no debate.

Just pointing that out.

I'm conservative, very strong conservative yet I'm not religious so I don't struggle with false interpolations of the constitution to benefit my own religious beliefs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,389
    "Wolf", "wolf" the boy cried......

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,829
    Great...

now, would you agree that little ol' me would be the very best arbiter of " lies, half-truths, libel and other forms of defamation."

Just sign right here, on the dotted line..........

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Outstanding projection jobs in this thread.