Favorite "easy" dishes/meals

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by bill5, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What are your fav meals which are extremely easy to make? PS for the serious cooks, when I say easy, what you might find easy we microwaves-are-our-God people might not. :) I mean like a few ingrediants, very little to do in the way of spices, very few steps, little if any chopping required etc. I don't however mean just nuking "processed" foods or eating out. :)

eg:

I forget what it's called but shrimp sauteed in olive oil, garlic and (flat) parsley. I typically don't chop up a garlic clove but used "minced" that you can buy in a jar and works fine. You're supposed to also have scallions in it and it is better, but I don't always and again it's fine. Just throw it all in and takes minutes (I don't use exact measurements either). Quick and easy.

Pork chops - just grill after sprinkling Mccormicks' Montreal Chicken spice blend (which works well on a lot of things).

I also find that nuking vegetables works really well on frozen vegetables; much like steaming.

2. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So apparently you're either all gourmet chefs or just eat out all the time. OK.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bacon-Corn Chowder With Shrimp

I just tried this the other night, excellent:

* 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
    * 1 cup prechopped onion
    * 1/2 cup prechopped celery
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
    * 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    * 3/4 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
    * 1/3 cup half-and-half
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation

* 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan; saute 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown. Remove 2 slices bacon. Drain on paper towels. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through minced garlic) to pan, and saute for 2 minutes. Add corn, and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook for 4 minutes.
    * 2. Place 2 cups of corn mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in the blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed corn mixture to pan. Stir in shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in half-and-half, pepper, and salt. Crumble reserved bacon over soup.

Bacon-Corn Chowder with Shrimp Recipe < Quick, 20-Minute Soup Recipes - Cooking Light

4. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Bruschetta

I made some a couple weeks back and it was delicious! I started with some sliced Ciabatta bread with garlic. I sliced that the day before and let it sit out to air because the bread was soft. Vine ripe tomato ( unfortunately not from my garden by vine ripe just the same ) vidalia onion and fresh basil from the garden ... lot's of it! Then I added some sea salt and some cracked pepper. All mixed that morning. I grabbed a tray and layed the slices of bread out and brushed them with olive oil. Then I loaded each slice up with a heaping pile of the tomato mix. On top of that I sprinkled ... heavily .... italian shredded cheese. The pieces of bruschetta were then placed on a grate above hot coals and browned until the cheese on top melted down over them.

Mmmmmmmm ... I wish I had a piece in front of me right now.

5. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
  6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Cheesy goodness!

french rolls
    cheddar cheese
    mayo

optional

green onions
    tomato paste
    sliced tomatoes
    seasonings

heat oven to 350
    split the rolls.
    mix cheese with just enough mayo ( small amount of mayo) to moisten it.
    Bake until golden

options..
    spread tomato paste on roll
    add chopped onions and seasonings to cheese mix
    Top with sliced tomatoes

it sounds horrifying...but its good and hits the spot at times.

7. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cheese and mayo? Not sure I'm that bold. :) At least that fits the "easy" category though. More than 3, 4 ingrediants and you're exiting easy territory IMO.

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

I know..it sounded horrible with it was first made for me..... but it was pretty damn tasty. The trick is not to put to much mayo so that it is a sloppy mess. Just a bit to make it moist.

9. Stashman

Stashman No Soup For You!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Sauerkraut and Weenies:

Heat sauerkraut in frying pan
    Add chopped weenies and heat till done.

Lets eat!

10. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I'm a vegetarian but I cook meat for my sweetie.

The other night I sauteed some green peppers (out of our garden) and onions, mixed in with some homemade salsa. Then I added chopped up sausage (the big kind that people grill and such) to it. I added some garlic and pepper.

He loved it! He didn't even have to 'add' anything to it! I haven't cooked meat in years, so I just experiment with stuff while cooking, adding this, that and the other.

Any other fast and easy things like this would be good to learn.

And Syreen and Mask, your recipes sound DELISH for Mini EZ and I, we would love them both!