FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

My 1969 Chevy gets the same mileage as your new Ford. Eco fail.

And how many horses does your 1969 Chevy have? And by all means, what kind of car is it? Let's look it up. What is the 0-60 of your Chevy? Make? Model? Or is it a phantom car?

Ignorant morons love to say "My Geo Metro gets the same mileage as the new Fiesta." LOL Ok, and your Metro has a mind boggling 50 horsepower. The new Fiesta has 123 and 145ft lbs of torque. That is something the Metro surely didn't have. The new Focus ST has over 250 horsepower.

So while raw gas mileage hasn't gone up a whole lot, performance with that same mileage has gone through the roof.

Last edited:
Since I am hitting the Tesla charging stations, I wouldn't pay a dime for fuel.

No, but you'd be paying for electricity.

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

Oh that's right. Cool.

We're up to what? 50 now? Woo hoo! Takin' over the country! LOL

How do you expect Tesla to be able to afford this? That's right, gov't handouts. "Loans" at RIDICULOUSLY low rates for the amount of risk taken by the gov't, and then democrats bragging that they repaid their loans. Each of these charging stations would cost 200K to get started, and with just 500K cars on the road, charging costs to Telsa would be more than 10K a day. That would mean almost 30 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR just to charge these cars. What company can stay in business with that kind of expense?

But Joeblowcompany, not in cahoots with the gov't, gets their loan at 5x the rate Tesla does. And nobody cares.

Last edited:
How is a car that only 1%ers can afford good for the US?

First of all, Tesla started with a high end car, but are working on cheaper models.

And the 200+ patents that Elon Musk allowed to be used by other companies helps the market grow.

But the main national advantage to the success of Tesla is the eventual decreased dependence on foreign oil. That is a significant plus.

The US can produce more oil than it consumes. The only reason we are not exporting oil is because it is illegal under an ancient 1975 law.

The analogy with, for example, the evolution of price for tech items like wide screen displays and computing capacity getting less expensive with time, has merit. But those items are not part of the transportation market or the energy market. I can't ride my plasma TV to the market to get food, or use my iPhone to heat my house in the winter. Those are entertainment items.

I was not talking about any market evolution. I was talking about the model that Tesla will be releasing in 2017.

The Model III should be priced around $35k.

Promises and wishes. The market today is rich iconoclasts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I might buy one just to show it off to my friends......

So far they have done what they said they would do. And the technology is there.

Without the government subsidy?

In all fairness, I read an interesting review which is, sort of, a counter point to my previous posts;

"A strange phenomenon: When the first hybrids came out, they were popular among my enviro-lefty friends, who gave up their old FJ Land Cruisers and embraced the Prius as an act of consumer self-mortification. The much more radical full-electric cars, such as the Tesla, are showing up not in the garages of my eco-nut friends, but in the garages of my car-nut friends — indeed, practically all of the Tesla owners I know are full-blown right-wingers.

One of the rarely appreciated aspects of the capitalist model of innovation is that the wealthy subsidize the development of products for everybody else: The mobile phone is a case study in that process, as is the electric car, as indeed were ordinary cars. The firm that developed the first automotive air-conditioning and power windows was a high-end marque that despite its landmark innovations is no longer with us: Packard."

Bureaucracies Dinosaurs Run Amok in Technological Civilization National Review Online

Oh that's right. Cool.

We're up to what? 50 now? Woo hoo! Takin' over the country! LOL

How do you expect Tesla to be able to afford this? That's right, gov't handouts. "Loans" at RIDICULOUSLY low rates for the amount of risk taken by the gov't, and then democrats bragging that they repaid their loans. Each of these charging stations would cost 200K to get started, and with just 500K cars on the road, charging costs to Telsa would be more than 10K a day. That would mean almost 30 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR just to charge these cars. What company can stay in business with that kind of expense?

But Joeblowcompany, not in cahoots with the gov't, gets their loan at 5x the rate Tesla does. And nobody cares.

50? Am I your only source of information? Because some of the things you post are ridiculously uninformed.

There are around 400 super charging stations more so scattered around the US, with 2,000 or so super chargers.

And your math is insane. The super charging stations are not there for every day charging. Free is nice, but no one is going to go to one of these places and just park for a couple of hours to avoid spending $10 chargng them at home.

If the gov't is subsidizing the super charging stations, feel free to post that info.

First of all, Tesla started with a high end car, but are working on cheaper models.

And the 200+ patents that Elon Musk allowed to be used by other companies helps the market grow.

But the main national advantage to the success of Tesla is the eventual decreased dependence on foreign oil. That is a significant plus.

The US can produce more oil than it consumes. The only reason we are not exporting oil is because it is illegal under an ancient 1975 law.

The analogy with, for example, the evolution of price for tech items like wide screen displays and computing capacity getting less expensive with time, has merit. But those items are not part of the transportation market or the energy market. I can't ride my plasma TV to the market to get food, or use my iPhone to heat my house in the winter. Those are entertainment items.

I was not talking about any market evolution. I was talking about the model that Tesla will be releasing in 2017.

The Model III should be priced around $35k.

Promises and wishes. The market today is rich iconoclasts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I might buy one just to show it off to my friends......

So far they have done what they said they would do. And the technology is there.

Without the government subsidy?

In all fairness, I read an interesting review which is, sort of, a counter point to my previous posts;

"A strange phenomenon: When the first hybrids came out, they were popular among my enviro-lefty friends, who gave up their old FJ Land Cruisers and embraced the Prius as an act of consumer self-mortification. The much more radical full-electric cars, such as the Tesla, are showing up not in the garages of my eco-nut friends, but in the garages of my car-nut friends — indeed, practically all of the Tesla owners I know are full-blown right-wingers.

One of the rarely appreciated aspects of the capitalist model of innovation is that the wealthy subsidize the development of products for everybody else: The mobile phone is a case study in that process, as is the electric car, as indeed were ordinary cars. The firm that developed the first automotive air-conditioning and power windows was a high-end marque that despite its landmark innovations is no longer with us: Packard."

Bureaucracies Dinosaurs Run Amok in Technological Civilization National Review Online

I have said something similar to this several times.

Tesla went the right direction with their first cars. There has been much whining and gnashing of teeth about the price of teh Teslas. ("car for 1%ers" ect) But the wealthier people can afford the risk of new technologies better than lwer economic classes.

My 1969 Chevy gets the same mileage as your new Ford. Eco fail.

And how many horses does your 1969 Chevy have? And by all means, what kind of car is it? Let's look it up. What is the 0-60 of your Chevy? Make? Model? Or is it a phantom car?

Ignorant morons love to say "My Geo Metro gets the same mileage as the new Fiesta." LOL Ok, and your Metro has a mind boggling 50 horsepower. The new Fiesta has 123 and 145ft lbs of torque. That is something the Metro surely didn't have. The new Focus ST has over 250 horsepower.

So while raw gas mileage hasn't gone up a whole lot, performance with that same mileage has gone through the roof.
It is a Malibu with a 307 bored 30 over and has around 300HP. And I don't give a shit how fast it goes from zero to sixty. Why are you in such a hurry? The point is modern cars still getting the same mileage is they did 30 years ago is a joke. And the fact you Millennials buy into the marketing BS just shows how stupid and gullible you are.

Bullshit. No car from the 60s with 300hp gets 30mpg.

You're full of shit and you're a liar.

Proof you're a liar:

1969 Chevrolet Chevelle - User Reviews - CarGurus

The Chevelle and Malibu are the same car, yet one of the con's of this car is gas mileage. Yet you tout numbers.

You're such a fucking liar. God I hate liars.

Despite being one of the best things your grandma could buy in 1969, getting about 18 Mpg in town and about 21 Mpg on the highway,

Yea, looks real close to 32mpg highway.

Idiot.

']LMAO....what more needs to be said? The only #'s that matter.
2014-sales-chart-apr-v1.png
[/URL]']
[/URL]']
[/URL]']Laughable!!:spinner::spinner::spinner::rock:[/URL]

Tesla's 1st quarter sales are up 55% over last year. The numbers are growing.

The idea that any new type of vehicle must somehow reach numbers that the gas cars have or they are a failure is ridiculous.

All anybody really needs to know on the subject >> Electric Vehicle sales are sucking US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

In 2015, the hula hoop is far more popular in America than the electric car.

Ive seen news about Harley Davidson making electric bikes.A small handful of people think it is going to be the next big thing. No it isn't. 100% certainty. These people have no clue about that culture and are going off of emotions of how they'd like to see things. Laughable.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Yeah, I am seeing what the posters on USMB think of EVs. I find it funny how many lunatic ways they will compare them in order to try and find any failure. Hotroddded Gremlins, Geo Metros, delivery vans ect ect

Several car magazines have named the Tesla "Car of the Year". Consumer Reports called it "one of the best cars they ever tested". But USMB's "experts" disagree. I am sure Elon Musk is worried.

Yeah, I am seeing what the posters on USMB think of EVs. I find it funny how many lunatic ways they will compare them in order to try and find any failure. Hotroddded Gremlins, Geo Metros, delivery vans ect ect

Several car magazines have named the Tesla "Car of the Year". Consumer Reports called it "one of the best cars they ever tested". But USMB's "experts" disagree. I am sure Elon Musk is worried.

Well........I happen to know for a fact that the President of CR Magazine is a huge green guy. Anything green related always gets the highest scores...........check it out in future issues. For almost 100K, it better be a damn good car!!!

But really Winter.........if somebody has 100K, they're not buying a Tesla S unless they have this yearning to make a statement. Ask 100 males if they'd had 100K, are they buying an R35 GTR or a Tesla? Three or four might pick the Tesla.

Just sayin'.............

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

YOU may not have to pay for it...but someone does. That's the point. Nothing in life is free. Tax breaks for the rich, which is what you are advocating here, is a problem. The poor people get to pay more taxes so the wealthy people who buy Tesla's get to have their "free" electricity.

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/Dodge-Charger-Hellcat.jpg.html][/URL]

2015 Dodge Hellcat............707 HP

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/Tesla.jpg.html][/URL]

Tesla S...............420HP.:oops-28:

Hmmmmm............wonder which car a huge majority of men would buy. LOL......and you can get the Hellcat and have enough $$ left over to go on a 2 week vacation in Hawaii. The odd social oddball would pick the Tesla just to make a ghey statement. Not most though,...........ever:up:

YOU may not have to pay for it...but someone does. That's the point. Nothing in life is free. Tax breaks for the rich, which is what you are advocating here, is a problem. The poor people get to pay more taxes so the wealthy people who buy Tesla's get to have their "free" electricity.

Either Telsa pays for It in order to get you to buy the car or the station just to get you to buy other stuff. What's the Damn problem?

Forum List

Back