Facebook and Schoolbooks

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Does using facebook harm academic performance? It looks that way...

"There is much talk of a change in modern youth – often referred to as digital natives or Homo Zappiens – with respect to their ability to simultaneously process multiple channels of information. In other words, kids today can multitask. Unfortunately for proponents of this position, there is much empirical documentation concerning the negative effects of attempting to simultaneously process different streams of information showing that such behavior leads to both increased study time to achieve learning parity and an increase in mistakes while processing information than those who are sequentially or serially processing that same information. This article presents the preliminary results of a descriptive and exploratory survey study involving Facebook use, often carried out simultaneously with other study activities, and its relation to academic performance as measured by self-reported Grade Point Average (GPA) and hours spent studying per week. Results show that Facebook® users reported having lower GPAs and spend fewer hours per week studying than nonusers."

Facebook® and academic performance

So, should parents be closing their kids' facebook accounts for the sake of academic success?

"There is much talk of a change in modern youth – often referred to as digital natives or Homo Zappiens – with respect to their ability to simultaneously process multiple channels of information. In other words, kids today can multitask. Unfortunately for proponents of this position, there is much empirical documentation concerning the negative effects of attempting to simultaneously process different streams of information showing that such behavior leads to both increased study time to achieve learning parity and an increase in mistakes while processing information than those who are sequentially or serially processing that same information. This article presents the preliminary results of a descriptive and exploratory survey study involving Facebook use, often carried out simultaneously with other study activities, and its relation to academic performance as measured by self-reported Grade Point Average (GPA) and hours spent studying per week. Results show that Facebook® users reported having lower GPAs and spend fewer hours per week studying than nonusers."

So, should parents be closing their kids' facebook accounts for the sake of academic success?

I don't have a facebook I have a different social network I use.

Sometimes this board and my other social network does affect my studies.

But if I wasn't online I would just watch netflix offline for a distraction.

I guess I get burned out on school. :dunno:

Perhaps you get burned out on school because these other distractions exist.

No some of the school stuff is boring. Yesterday I was supposed to read 150 pages of this required text for a group discussion today.

Honestly I got to like page 70 and it was so repetitive I skipped to the end just to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't missing a damn thing !!!!:lol:

Today the discussion went fine, just glad I got in some tv time last night, that new Michael J Fox show is hilarious :eusa_shhh:

No some of the school stuff is boring. Yesterday I was supposed to read 150 pages of this required text for a group discussion today.

Honestly I got to like page 70 and it was so repetitive I skipped to the end just to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't missing a damn thing !!!!:lol:

Today the discussion went fine, just glad I got in some tv time last night, that new Michael J Fox show is hilarious :eusa_shhh:

Of course some of it is boring, but now you have oh-so-many ways to take the focus off that boring stuff and look at other things. You skipped to the end because your attention span is being attenuated. We are all so at risk.

Of course some of it is boring, but now you have oh-so-many ways to take the focus off that boring stuff and look at other things. You skipped to the end because your attention span is being attenuated. We are all so at risk.

I guess so....:doubt:

Forum List

Back