F-35 drops PGM on a moving target using Block 3F software

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
F-35 drops PGM on a moving target using Block 3F software | IHS Jane's 360

1701308_-_main.jpg

The Joint Program Office (JPO) for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) has for the first time dropped a Raytheon GBU-12 Paveway II precision-guided munition (PGM) against a moving target using the aircraft's Block 3F software.

The inert drop, which was announced on 20 April, took place at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in California and involved a carrier-variant F-35C from the 461st 'Deadly Jesters' Flight Test Squadron (FTS) attacking a remotely controlled pick-up truck.

As noted by the US Air Force's (USAF's) 412th Test Wing, this event using the Block 3F (full combat capability) software is significant, as it incorporates new release 'logic' to reduce pilot workload and increase effectiveness against moving targets. This logic is called Lead Point Compute, and it evaluates the speed and direction of the target against the altitude and speed of the aircraft to determine the exact release point.

"[The pilot] doesn't have to think about how fast the target's going, or what direction," Collin O'Fallon, an engineer attached to the 461st FTS for the test, was quoted as saying. "By him using this [Block] 3F capability, it's doing all the weaponeering for him. That's really the big thing, it's a single-seat fighter. He's got to do it all, so we want to do as much for him as we can."

The 500 lb GBU-12 has now been dropped from every F-35 variant, though previous tests involved earlier aircraft software blocks. "This was really a test of the aircraft targeting system and associated [Block 3F] weaponeering logic, and the results of this test will be used to certify this capability with a GBU-12 on the F-35." O'Fallon said.

With the F-35 currently fitted with the Block 3i (initial full capability) software, Block 3F is due to be rolled out in May 2018.

p1701307.jpg

The target for the test was a remotely controlled pick-up truck. (Lockheed Martin)

After seeing that f-20 vid today, I'm still not convinced on this F-35 given the things I've heard.

• Banned
After seeing that f-20 vid today, I'm still not convinced on this F-35 given the things I've heard.

Care to elaborate on this one? The F-20 can be given credit in the creation of the F-18. But it just didn't quite meet the quality of the F-16.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The purpose of the F-35 is to continually fix it and keep it head and shoulders above all other Attack Fighters. Meanwhile, some of the "Fixes" finds it way into the legacy birds.

Care to elaborate on this one? The F-20 can be given credit in the creation of the F-18. But it just didn't quite meet the quality of the F-16.

The purpose of the F-35 is to continually fix it and keep it head and shoulders above all other Attack Fighters. Meanwhile, some of the "Fixes" finds it way into the legacy birds.

Fine by me, but I haven't heard good vibes about the f-35.

1701308_-_main.jpg

The Joint Program Office (JPO) for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) has for the first time dropped a Raytheon GBU-12 Paveway II precision-guided munition (PGM) against a moving target using the aircraft's Block 3F software.

The inert drop, which was announced on 20 April, took place at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in California and involved a carrier-variant F-35C from the 461st 'Deadly Jesters' Flight Test Squadron (FTS) attacking a remotely controlled pick-up truck.

As noted by the US Air Force's (USAF's) 412th Test Wing, this event using the Block 3F (full combat capability) software is significant, as it incorporates new release 'logic' to reduce pilot workload and increase effectiveness against moving targets. This logic is called Lead Point Compute, and it evaluates the speed and direction of the target against the altitude and speed of the aircraft to determine the exact release point.

"[The pilot] doesn't have to think about how fast the target's going, or what direction," Collin O'Fallon, an engineer attached to the 461st FTS for the test, was quoted as saying. "By him using this [Block] 3F capability, it's doing all the weaponeering for him. That's really the big thing, it's a single-seat fighter. He's got to do it all, so we want to do as much for him as we can."

The 500 lb GBU-12 has now been dropped from every F-35 variant, though previous tests involved earlier aircraft software blocks. "This was really a test of the aircraft targeting system and associated [Block 3F] weaponeering logic, and the results of this test will be used to certify this capability with a GBU-12 on the F-35." O'Fallon said.

With the F-35 currently fitted with the Block 3i (initial full capability) software, Block 3F is due to be rolled out in May 2018.

p1701307.jpg

The target for the test was a remotely controlled pick-up truck. (Lockheed Martin)

Is this the US practicing dropping things of friendly targets again?

Well, it's interesting to see technology progress, I guess this is a logic step forward in weapons technology.

You can look at this in a number of ways.

F-20's ability to penetrate a modern air defense system is broken.
F-20's ability to carry two 2,000 lb class munitions is broken.
F-20's ability to detect threats and targets on a 360 degree optical, RF, and IR spectrum is broken
F-20's electronic attack capabilities are broken
F-20's ability to have a combat radius greater than 300 miles is broken, even with drop tanks

etc. could go on and on. If you look at it just from whether something is broken compared to it's design specs we might as well be flying P-51s.

Lead Point Compute
Hey this makes no sense, our expert ManOnTheStreet has assured me that F-35 can't hit a moving target.

Granted he's the same one who said it can't fight before it dropped a 20-1 kill ratio in Red Flag, and said it wasn't stealthy before we heard they have to turn their transponders on in exercises for the ground radars to find them. I'm slowly beginning to doubt ManOnTheStreet's expertise.

You can look at this in a number of ways.

F-20's ability to penetrate a modern air defense system is broken.
F-20's ability to carry two 2,000 lb class munitions is broken.
F-20's ability to detect threats and targets on a 360 degree optical, RF, and IR spectrum is broken
F-20's electronic attack capabilities are broken
F-20's ability to have a combat radius greater than 300 miles is broken, even with drop tanks

etc. could go on and on. If you look at it just from whether something is broken compared to it's design specs we might as well be flying P-51s.

I suggest we go back to the Newport as long as the other side goes back to the Albatross.

Lead Point Compute
Hey this makes no sense, our expert ManOnTheStreet has assured me that F-35 can't hit a moving target.

Granted he's the same one who said it can't fight before it dropped a 20-1 kill ratio in Red Flag, and said it wasn't stealthy before we heard they have to turn their transponders on in exercises for the ground radars to find them. I'm slowly beginning to doubt ManOnTheStreet's expertise.

You Heathen, you. How dare you suggest such a thing, you ingrate. To doubt the expertise of Menopause would be a grave mistake. Bring back the Curtis Wright Flyer and start all over again.

1701308_-_main.jpg

p1701307.jpg

How would you like the job of driving the truck that was the target?

Career-limiting move, I would say.

Someday the USA will be fighting China.

It will be either because of N.Korea or because of Taiwan. Either way, samee same, G/I.

Our war birds will need to be better than their war birds, if/when we fight China over Asia, such as in N.Korea.

The USA will be based somewhere in Japan, on the ground there.

The N.Koreans and Chinese will fight us over the Inland Sea Of Japan.

Should be a whopper of a war -- very similar to the last Korean War -- which turned into a stalemate for political reasons. Harry Truman was afraid to go for China's jugular. DJ Trump will be afraid to do the same as well -- you can see how he kisses Chink azz now.

More money will be spent on Defense (Defense here having the meaning of Offense).

Infrastructure in the USA will again have to wait.

Last edited:

1701308_-_main.jpg

p1701307.jpg

How would you like the job of driving the truck that was the target?

Career-limiting move, I would say.

Allah will Protect!!

Allah will Protect!!
Those moosleem religious wack-jobs would probably believe you, yah.

:D

Actually, it's a story told by a US Chopper Pilot that trained Iranian Pilots The story goes like this.

The IP turned the controls over to his student pilot. They were going on across a flat stretch. They started to come up a hill. The IP suggested that the new pilot gain altitude to avoid the hill. The Student said, "Allah will Protect". The IP cold cocked the student, gained altitude, went back to the base and immediately quit.

Forum List

Back