‘Extreme’ rent control could be coming to California soon

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
After they pass this monstrosity, California will become an empty wasteland. The current stock of housing will decay until the entire state is a slum, and anyone in the middleclass who can will leave for more sensible states.

A costly and potentially bruising campaign is taking shape over rent control in California, with deep-pocketed Los Angeles activist Michael Weinstein bankrolling a proposed November ballot initiative to repeal a state law that sets tight limits on the type of housing covered under local rent control laws.

“Nobody’s fighting for the tenant,” said Weinstein, president of AIDS Healthcare Foundation, who partly funded the Proposition 61, the 2016 fight over prescription drug costs that became the most expensive initiative that year, with total spending at roughly $130 million.

As California confronts a historic housing crisis, low- and middle-income renters are being pushed out, even in cities with some form of rent control.

The disruption is fueling the push by Weinstein and other tenants rights’ activists to overturn a state law that prevents cities and counties from adopting strong rent control laws.

Last edited:
Rent control will be coming to every state. Even small towns are seeing house prices and most importantly rent going through the roof. No cities are immune.

I would also bet new type housing will be coming out similar to the tiny house revolution. You'll see tiny apartments and tiny hotels like they have in Japan. Just large enough to live in. Something has to give because families with children are the ones at most risk of having to sleep on the street.

Rent control will be coming to every state. Even small towns are seeing house prices and most importantly rent going through the roof. No cities are immune.

I would also bet new type housing will be coming out similar to the tiny house revolution. You'll see tiny apartments and tiny hotels like they have in Japan. Just large enough to live in. Something has to give because families with children are the ones at most risk of having to sleep on the street.
Let me get this straight: You believe that rent control actually works? Could you point out some examples where this happened?

What needs to give is all the government regulations states put in the way of new home constrution. Of course, the lib solution is to make everyone suffer.

Rent control ?? Is that anything like telling someone who owns a property, that if they rent it, then they will have to make it available to the poor family on government assistance ??

Let me see now, so you rent to the government dependent/democrat voting family, where as the government makes it as easy as can possibly be for a single mom type family with say 4 to 5 kids (some teens), to rent your place off the tax payers dime, but then what happens next is that they totally destroy the home within two years or less, and destroy the entire neighborhood within 5 years or less.

Then the government and the renters take their hellish tornado somewhere else.

This bullcrap cuts across all lines these days, so please leave race out of it.

People trying to protect their communities, cultures, and assets is understandable always. The government has some splaining to do about how it has gotten away with this type of tyranny over the years now.

No, rent control may be coming to commie states, but not most.

As a landlord of 25 years, I can assure you that limiting our income only limits our ability to maintain and upgrade our rental units and properties. When government is able to control what somebody wants for their product or services, then it's only a matter of time before government controls the price of more and more products and services.

We landlords have no social obligation. I don't owe anybody affordable rent simply because of what they can or cannot afford. I have product and service, I am asking X for my product and services, and you have the option to accept or decline my offer. It's just like taking a job for minimum wage.

If you don't like what landlords are charging for rent, then by your own Fn house.

Rent control ?? Is that anything like telling someone who owns a property, that if they rent it, then they will have to make it available to the poor family on government assistance ??

Let me see now, so you rent to the government dependent/democrat voting family, where as the government makes it as easy as can possibly be for a single mom type family with say 4 to 5 kids (some teens), to rent your place off the tax payers dime, but then what happens next is that they totally destroy the home within two years or less, and destroy the entire neighborhood within 5 years or less.

People trying to protect their communities, cultures, and assets is understandable always. The government has some splaining to do about how it has gotten away with this type of tyranny over the years now.
Rent control is where the government tells you how much you can charge for rent, even if that's below the cost of maintaining the property. Typically the government never allows landlords to raise their rents. As a result, landlods stop maintaining their property or even abandon it, and it becomes unfit for human habitation.

Let me get this straight: You believe that rent control actually works? Could you point out some examples where this happened?

What needs to give is all the government regulations states put in the way of new home constrution. Of course, the lib solution is to make everyone suffer.
New York City did just fine.

The problem when real estate becomes too expensive , regular people/workers can’t afford to live in the city .

The problem when real estate becomes too expensive , regular people/workers can’t afford to live in the city .

And when you control the rents, they can afford to live there - since they will be living in tents.

Rent control is where the government tells you how much you can charge for rent, even if that's below the cost of maintaining the property. Typically the government never allows landlords to raise their rents. As a result, landlods stop maintaining their property or even abandon it, and it becomes unfit for human habitation.

That’s not what happens . They still get a good rent . And the city gets to have school teachers and police officers who normally couldn’t live in the city .

ROFL! Parts of New York City look like it was the target of astrategic bombing campaign.

Rent control is where the government tells you how much you can charge for rent, even if that's below the cost of maintaining the property. Typically the government never allows landlords to raise their rents. As a result, landlords stop maintaining their property or even abandon it, and it becomes unfit for human habitation.

That’s not what happens . They still get a good rent . And the city gets to have school teachers and police officers who normally couldn’t live in the city .
Horseshit. You're a delusional lying moron.

The High Cost of Rent Control

So what is good rent? If the landlord can't decide on what "good rent" is, the government should?

This all reminds me too much of Commie Care. You make X amount of money, therefore the government determines you can afford X amount for healthcare insurance.

Government doesn't ask (or care) what you pay for rent or mortgage. Government doesn't ask or care what your car payments are. Government doesn't ask how much you are paying for your children's college education. Government doesn't ask how much you are paying for past medical bills. Government doesn't ask what you are paying on your credit cards. All government knows is you make X, so you can afford X.

This is the exact same dictatorship kind of thing. Don't ask any questions, just assume that a landlord is making "good enough" money on rent.

So why should that be landlords problems?

Who are these so called REGULAR People you refer to here ??? Is that code talk for people who end up destroying your place, and worse the safety of the community once the tally is assessed and gathered ?? Maybe big cities should be putting in a little hill to climb over before opening the entire city to these so called average people. If can't climb over a small hill, then they sure won't be climbing up the ladder to change that light bulb, paint that trim or fix that shingle if leaking.

The stats and evidence is out there, but it is ignored by most for some very strange reason.

After they pass this monstrosity, California will become an empty wasteland. The current stock of housing will decay until the entire state is a slum, and anyone in the middleclass who can will leave for more sensible states.

A costly and potentially bruising campaign is taking shape over rent control in California, with deep-pocketed Los Angeles activist Michael Weinstein bankrolling a proposed November ballot initiative to repeal a state law that sets tight limits on the type of housing covered under local rent control laws.

“Nobody’s fighting for the tenant,” said Weinstein, president of AIDS Healthcare Foundation, who partly funded the Proposition 61, the 2016 fight over prescription drug costs that became the most expensive initiative that year, with total spending at roughly $130 million.

As California confronts a historic housing crisis, low- and middle-income renters are being pushed out, even in cities with some form of rent control.

The disruption is fueling the push by Weinstein and other tenants rights’ activists to overturn a state law that prevents cities and counties from adopting strong rent control laws.

What's particularly pathetic is that Californians are already flooding into their neighboring States to escape the monstrosity they created ... and they are voting to do the exact same thing to their new States. Nevada is already turning blue. It's incredible. Leftists have an innate ability to never learn from their mistakes

What's particularly pathetic is that Californians are already flooding into their neighboring States to escape the monstrosity they created ... and they are voting to do the exact same thing to their new States. Nevada is already turning blue. It's incredible. Leftists have an innate ability to never learn from their mistakes
turning blue or not,Nevada is nothing like California.....at least were i am at.....

Excellent...... California deserves every left wing policy they vote for..... as you said, California will be like a feudal kingdom...the rich will live in heavily guarded estates, while the poor live in the wastelands....like Mad Max......

Forum List

Back