Explosion reported at Fukushima #2

Brit Hume is basically saying we should calm down.
It hasn't happened, and still probably will not happen.
I hope he is right.

This is EASILY the worst coverage I've ever seen (and I'm 48). No one seems to know what is going on, and I've been VERY surprised at how many of the MSM networks have to wait for translation from Japanese.

There now seems to be some confusion as to whether it was #2 or #3.

WTF?!?!

The government said #2, and now there is confusion? I think this is HORRIBLE journalism we're seeing. Twitter is actually more reliable so far.

Evacuation of the plant is confirmed by the government.....for now, I guess?

I think it is also important to remember that the media will always reach for the worst situation and make uninformed statements at the same time.

The Japanese governments last statement was that the situation is "not stable"..which doesn't mean a giant radioactive plume will engulf the whole island.
If the outer containment is compromised, OK that is bad, and could be a major problem for years to come...but as I am learning about this...it seems even that will not be a real "holocaust" type of fallout.
A GIANT problem, devastating to the whole area as it just lost it's source of power, and a facility that will be uninhabitable for generations...but if I hear right hear...very, very small chance of a Chernobyl level disaster.

Take a gandor over to DRUDGE:eek::eek::eek::eek:.............been following the DRUDGE Report for years.......never seen this many stories on one topic ever.

IDK......is this alot of media hype or is this perhaps the makings of the greatest disaster in the history of mankind??? Who can tell in this day and age?

By the way...........anybody seen Old Rocks? Only he could be bored by this stuff.......wants to get back to debating temperatures!!!

Who isnt convinced this guy had a giant tree fall on his head in the woods??

Take a gandor over to DRUDGE:eek::eek::eek::eek:.............been following the DRUDGE Report for years.......never seen this many stories on one topic ever.

IDK......is this alot of media hype or is this perhaps the makings of the greatest disaster in the history of mankind??? Who can tell in this day and age?

By the way...........anybody seen Old Rocks? Only he could be bored by this stuff.......wants to get back to debating temperatures!!!

Who isnt convinced this guy had a giant tree fall on his head in the woods??
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

LMAO!!!

I think it is also important to remember that the media will always reach for the worst situation and make uninformed statements at the same time.

The Japanese governments last statement was that the situation is "not stable"..which doesn't mean a giant radioactive plume will engulf the whole island.
If the outer containment is compromised, OK that is bad, and could be a major problem for years to come...but as I am learning about this...it seems even that will not be a real "holocaust" type of fallout.
A GIANT problem, devastating to the whole area as it just lost it's source of power, and a facility that will be uninhabitable for generations...but if I hear right hear...very, very small chance of a Chernobyl level disaster.

I had live feed on from Japanese news and they were saying that the inner containment vessel is breached and leaking. But they don't know if it is leaking liquid or gas. It all depends on where the leak is. If it is leaking liquid then there is no way to cool the fuel. Game over.

They had diagrams provided by the officials and were reporting that radiation had spiked to over 9000microseiverts. I also read that pressure within one of the containments is falling on it's own, no idea what containment that is.

The worst case scenario seems to be widespread contamination of heavier elements with longer half lives than iodine. On an island the size of Japan, one nuclear bomb wide, with 120 million people, well they would be in a world of hurt.

I had live feed on from Japanese news and they were saying that the inner containment vessel is breached and leaking. But they don't know if it is leaking liquid or gas. It all depends on where the leak is. If it is leaking liquid then there is no way to cool the fuel. Game over.

They had diagrams provided by the officials and were reporting that radiation had spiked to over 9000microseiverts. I also read that pressure within one of the containments is falling on it's own, no idea what containment that is.

The worst case scenario seems to be widespread contamination of heavier elements with longer half lives than iodine. On an island the size of Japan, one nuclear bomb wide, with 120 million people, well they would be in a world of hurt.

They apparently have a major core breach. In simple terms, that is NOT good, and it potentially could get a lot worse. Like skeptic says, if that core is leaking fluid, then they can't cool it. It won't go critical, but it will melt down, with the potential for widespread contamination. They won't have the same situation as Chernobyl (no graphite fire to spread the contamination) but a big enough steam explosion will be bad enough. Looks like they are rapidly losing control of this thing; you got any prayers, they need them!

That temp reading quoted earlier had better be wrong, because if it's real, that core is beyond cooling.....

I guess the way to know is to find out is to research how long Three Mile Island took to melt down? Or better yet..........Chernobyl.

So how many people died due to the Three Mile Island meltdown?

Uh. Your reports says that the inner containment vessel had been breached. That's why their is an outer containment vessel.

Yes, the situation is serious, but really, you are over sensationalizing it.

Scanned Churnobyl on Wikki...........the whole meltdown took less than 24 hours. Perhaps the design was way different?

YES!

Chernobyl used graphite for neutron moderation, not water. Graphite burns.

Chernobyl did not have an outer container. The Japanese ones have inner and outer containers.

Chernobyl was bad engineering - and worse management. The lack of an outer container and the burning graphite cause the radiation to spread for thousands of miles. That is not what is going to happen in Japan.

Three Mile Island meltdown also less than 24 hours.............and the design seems earily similar givein the pics.

I think the media is hosing us on this..........didnt the first explosion occur on Saturday?

FLASH..................

Old Rocks is still debating over on the Issac Asimov thread!!!:up:

Potential for the biggest disaster in human history and Rocks is missing in action. A "real' environmentalist.

Try a devout anti-capitalist asshole who couldnt give a flying fcukk about temperatures.......wants total government control of the means of production.

9000sv is 100% fatality. There is no possible survival at that level of exposure. Everything will die, including the dirt (and that sounds funny, but it isn't a joke. It would be infertile for 20,000 years).

Just heard on the news that there may be a fire in Unit #4. Folks, this is just about as bad as it gets. I think the Japanese have lost control of this situation.

Forum List

Back