Ex-Blackwater guards seek sentencing delay, cite new info

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The guards are scheduled to be sentenced Monday in federal court in Washington after being found guilty in the shooting deaths of Iraqi civilians in 2007. Federal prosecutors are seeking mandatory decades-long sentences for three of the four — Evan Liberty, Dustin Heard and Paul Slough — and a life sentence for guard Nicholas Slatten, who was convicted of first-degree murder.

With the sentencing hearing just days away, defense lawyers argued that a new witness statement provided by prosecutors this week contradicts the government's case about how the shooting started and calls into doubt the trial's results.
Ex-Blackwater guards seek sentencing delay cite new info - U.S. - Stripes

So, they are going to take the witness statement and slap 'em with it. Now, there is an even longer delay.

The guards are scheduled to be sentenced Monday in federal court in Washington after being found guilty in the shooting deaths of Iraqi civilians in 2007. Federal prosecutors are seeking mandatory decades-long sentences for three of the four — Evan Liberty, Dustin Heard and Paul Slough — and a life sentence for guard Nicholas Slatten, who was convicted of first-degree murder.

With the sentencing hearing just days away, defense lawyers argued that a new witness statement provided by prosecutors this week contradicts the government's case about how the shooting started and calls into doubt the trial's results.
Ex-Blackwater guards seek sentencing delay cite new info - U.S. - Stripes

So, they are going to take the witness statement and slap 'em with it. Now, there is an even longer delay.
It is hard to fight an enemy who wears the same clothes, looks same as the locals and speaks the same language as the locals. How do we know that the policeman did not have resentment for Americans, how do we know the he wasn't involved with underground insurgents (guerrilla warfare) to fight American forces. This whole thing is total bullshit. I am not going guess who is behind it.

This so called police man, was he here in the States for testifying. If not, he should be brought here since the sumbitch is the key witness (I am quite sure false witness that is) Being here, even a mediocre lawyer would shred his "testimony" to pieces. This whole thing is bullshit. Warriors who were sent to harms way being prosecuted and persecuted with bullshit. Even if it happened. Collateral damage. The fucking population should have ratted them insurgents out, but the population is not America friendly, so what's the big hype. Yes, it is a bad thing when there are civilian casualties but nobody prosecutes drone operators do they? I have to puke to see this administration's anti military stance.

I think he was in the US but I am not sure if he is currently.

I am not a fan of hired private armies. At all. There is an exceptionally lengthy history and I do not see any reason to repeat the mistakes of the past. I'm not a fan of Academi.

I am not a fan of hired private armies. At all. There is an exceptionally lengthy history and I do not see any reason to repeat the mistakes of the past. I'm not a fan of Academi.
I am not sure where I read it but they are hiring to fight Boca Haram. Contractors are cheaper since they are not on a perpetual DoD/State Department payroll. When the job is done they are sitting around without pay waiting for the next "job" to surface.

I am not sure where I read it but they are hiring to fight Boca Haram. Contractors are cheaper since they are not on a perpetual DoD/State Department payroll. When the job is done they are sitting around without pay waiting for the next "job" to surface.

That's never been a good idea. In fact, that has proved to be a problem. It's not cost effective and they are generally above the law.

It's not cost effective and they are generally above the law.
Referring to Geneva Convention? Most of them are ex-military mostly work abroad, right?

These Are The World s Most Powerful Mercenary Armies - Business Insider

Go back further. There is a lengthy history. I acknowledge that standing armies present their own problems (historically) but it definitely circumvents the highest bidder and loyalty issues. They go back much earlier but here:
Condottieri - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I don't understand why it is necessary to repeat the same mistakes.

Forum List

Back