Ex-ambassadors tell Congress not to dock UN dues

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I think it would be great to hold the UN's feet to the fire... it's corrupt as it is.

--------------------
By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Eight former U.S. ambassadors to the United Nations urged the U.S. Congress on Tuesday to reject legislation that would dock payments to the world body unless specific reform plans were enacted.

The ambassadors, in a letter to Republican and Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives and the Senate, said withholding U.S. dues would be counterproductive, create resentment, build animosity "and actually strengthen opponents of reform."

The letter was signed by Madeleine Albright, John Danforth, Richard Holbrooke, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Donald McHenry, Thomas Pickering, Bill Richardson and Andrew Young.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050614...PY18uSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bW85OXIzBHNlYwNwbA--

gop_jeff said:
I think it would be great to hold the UN's feet to the fire... it's corrupt as it is.

--------------------
By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Eight former U.S. ambassadors to the United Nations urged the U.S. Congress on Tuesday to reject legislation that would dock payments to the world body unless specific reform plans were enacted.

The ambassadors, in a letter to Republican and Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives and the Senate, said withholding U.S. dues would be counterproductive, create resentment, build animosity "and actually strengthen opponents of reform."

The letter was signed by Madeleine Albright, John Danforth, Richard Holbrooke, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Donald McHenry, Thomas Pickering, Bill Richardson and Andrew Young.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050614...PY18uSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bW85OXIzBHNlYwNwbA--

I have nothing but contempt for our state department. Seems to me that they actively work AGAINST the best interests of the United States. They help outsource jobs, they refuse to protect Americans abroad, they are constant apologists and they take any view but the one that serves our nation's interest.

It should not be surprising that a pack of out to pasture state department hacks want their pathetic policy of appeasement to continue. After all, it's worked so well up to now.

gop_jeff said:

--------------------
By Evelyn Leopold

Who cares what EX ambassadors have to say about it?

What I don't understand is why the Bush administration is against it?

Just answered my own question:
The reform measures proposed by the Hyde bill do nothing to limit the function of the U.N. Instead, they work to expand the governing power of the U.N., by attempting to squeeze out some of the inefficiency. The proposed reforms actually strengthen the U.N.’s power to govern.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/lamb061405.htm

Relocate the UN to Paris...or Amsterdam wherever..and stop giving them a penny!
No wait, go with the stop giving them a penny part, but we need to keep a close eye on our enemies, so we just have to let them stay here. I hate it, but I can deal with that.

Mr. P said:
Relocate the UN to Paris...or Amsterdam wherever..and stop giving them a penny!
No wait, go with the stop giving them a penny part, but we need to keep a close eye on our enemies, so we just have to let them stay here. I hate it, but I can deal with that.

Exactly. Screw Albright (a contradictary name if ever there was one) and those other bozos.

Forum List

Back