Every Third Child In Gaza Stunted by Hunger

Saigon,

I see Hamas and the Israeli government as very much alike, they are like each other, they choose fighting as a way to resolve matters, and they, at times, both unlawfully target civilians, they both at times choose to engage in terrorism.

I do not support anyone's killings, whether it be lawful or unlawful (ie terrorism). I support each side talking to one another, I support Diplomacy.

I mostly agree with what you are saying, too.

But what you leave out is the fact that the Occupation is the primary event that keeps the fighting going. East Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza are essentially what is left of what was set aside for a Palestinian State by the UN, the people have a right of self determination to have a state in those lands, a state free of Israeli Occupation, that is pretty clearly established by the intl legal authorities such as the International Court of Justice, either that scenario or Israel gives them equal rights iin one democratic state
(this latter option also effectively gives them their rights of self dtermination, because they become part of a democratic system, like all other residents).

Those Occupied always are oppressed, and the natural tendency is for an occupied people to resist their Occupations.

When we look right now at all of Israel and Palestine, the demographics are interesting, we have about 7 million Jews, 5.5 million Palestinians, and the birth rate of Palestinians has historically always been very high. And we today have both a Jewish and Palestinian population outside Palestine greater in numbers than those inside Palestine.

I also find myself thinking now about what happened in 70 AD, when a people in another time chose fighting, and how all that turned out.

I just started posting here, I do not know if you have been discussing the Palestinian political prisoners/hunger strikers. we are seeing militants more and more choose nonviolence, that is a positive development and this may change everything.

There is a Palestinian football player on a hunger strike right now, 80+ days on his hunger strike, likely on the verge of death, held for over 3 years as an enemy combatant, never charged with any crimes, not allowed visits with his family in Gaza. One cannot help but admire a man choosing such a road to take, I do not even think he is a Christian, but I have never encountered any person who looks more like Jesus.

Nonviolent self sacrifice as a response to Injustice, I think there is power in that, power to change the course of History.

Sherri

Those Occupied always are oppressed, and the natural tendency is for an occupied people to resist their Occupations.

The citizens of an occupying power are not considered "civilians" by the Forth Geneva Convention.

More racist lies.

In occupied territories; ' protection is accorded to all persons who are not of the nationality of the occupying State.

International Humanitarian Law - Fourth 1949 Geneva Convention

No, this is exclusively a failure of the Palestinians. There is plenty of aid available. The Palestinians in Gaza simply put other priorities (like supporting terrorism) first.

While I think Palestinians and the parents hold the primary responsibility for feeding their children, suggesting that it is their fault and their fault alone is grossly simplistic - it reduces a novel to a cartoon.

Issues like roadblocks, bombings and blockades regularly stop the flow of aid, and acts of collective punishment such as crop destruction impede the ability of Palestinians to feed themselves.

No, this is exclusively a failure of the Palestinians. There is plenty of aid available. The Palestinians in Gaza simply put other priorities (like supporting terrorism) first.

While I think Palestinians and the parents hold the primary responsibility for feeding their children, suggesting that it is their fault and their fault alone is grossly simplistic - it reduces a novel to a cartoon.

Issues like roadblocks, bombings and blockades regularly stop the flow of aid, and acts of collective punishment such as crop destruction impede the ability of Palestinians to feed themselves.

And it is not just about aid. It is Israel's long standing policies, in Gaza and the West Bank, to force the Palestinians into the position where they need aid. They were self sufficient before Israel.

There is massive aid and none of the things you mention prevent the Palestinians in Gaza from getting fed. It's simply that they accord a greater priority to fighting Israel.

There is massive aid and none of the things you mention prevent the Palestinians in Gaza from getting fed. It's simply that they accord a greater priority to fighting Israel.

Well, the Israeli occupation is the reason they need aid.

Well, the Israeli occupation is the reason they need aid.

You need professional help for your racist bigotry.

If I was Jewish, you wouldn't catch me in Israel for all the shekels in Tel Aviv. The whole area is a war zone, only fools purposely raise a family in a war zone when there are other options that are safer and better for your children.

You are so ignorant it's amazing! Not even East Jersulem is a war zone. I have been to all parts of Israel including the West Bank. In Tel Aviv you would think you are in any European modernized city. In Jerusalem your walk freely through the streets of an ancient city without fear of anything. Even in East Jerusalem the people their are very friendily (although they see Americans like all foreigners - as $$$$$$$). Israel has some of the best beaches in the world. Even on the West Bank you don't feal nervous, even when you see alot of Arabs walking by. Most of the time the Arabs and the Jewish settlers are working together. Little known fact: Most of the buildings in the Jewish cities in the West Bank were made with Arab labor!

Check the homicide stats! Lowest in the world!
[quotehttp://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/IsraelsMurderRate.html
According to a study conducted by the University of Haifa’s Center for the Study of Crime, Law & Society, Israel’s murder rate is one of the world’s lowest, which shows the murder rate in Israel is declining. The murder rate per 100,000 residents has remained virtually unchanged over the past 28 years, and has declined during the past few years. The study says that the crime rates have to be examined in relation to the population size. From this perspective, the research shows that the number of murders per 100,000 people was 2.35 in 1980 and 2.29 in 2006. This data is low compared to other countries. For instance, in Russia, the number of murders per 100,000 people was 18 in 2004, and in the United States, the number of murders per 100,000 people was 7.5 during the same year.

Problem with Ima is ignorancy. The worse of it is that Ima feels proud and shows it off like its a true fact.

War zone. Pfft. LOL:lol:

The only place people shoot rockets at you or try to blow your bus up... is in a war zone.

:thanks:

You are so ignorant it's amazing! Not even East Jersulem is a war zone. I have been to all parts of Israel including the West Bank. In Tel Aviv you would think you are in any European modernized city. In Jerusalem your walk freely through the streets of an ancient city without fear of anything. Even in East Jerusalem the people their are very friendily (although they see Americans like all foreigners - as $$$$$$$). Israel has some of the best beaches in the world. Even on the West Bank you don't feal nervous, even when you see alot of Arabs walking by. Most of the time the Arabs and the Jewish settlers are working together. Little known fact: Most of the buildings in the Jewish cities in the West Bank were made with Arab labor!

Check the homicide stats! Lowest in the world!
[quotehttp://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_&_Culture/IsraelsMurderRate.html
According to a study conducted by the University of Haifa’s Center for the Study of Crime, Law & Society, Israel’s murder rate is one of the world’s lowest, which shows the murder rate in Israel is declining. The murder rate per 100,000 residents has remained virtually unchanged over the past 28 years, and has declined during the past few years. The study says that the crime rates have to be examined in relation to the population size. From this perspective, the research shows that the number of murders per 100,000 people was 2.35 in 1980 and 2.29 in 2006. This data is low compared to other countries. For instance, in Russia, the number of murders per 100,000 people was 18 in 2004, and in the United States, the number of murders per 100,000 people was 7.5 during the same year.

Problem with Ima is ignorancy. The worse of it is that Ima feels proud and shows it off like its a true fact.

War zone. Pfft. LOL:lol:

The only place people shoot rockets at you or try to blow your bus up... is in a war zone.

:thanks:

Yeah. In Europe you have no terrorist attack and people don't die.

give me a break.

You have never had even half a toe in my country, so you cannot pretend or THINK you know how we live here. Yes, we have issues, but we lead normal lives.

Tel Aviv is the 4th most popular city for tourism, in both Africa and MidEast area, it's the New York of the east, and surely feels like it.

War Zone. Pfft.

Last edited:
none of the things you mention prevent the Palestinians in Gaza from getting fed.

Oh, dear me....this really is some sad posting from you, Art.

Following the takeover, Egypt and Israel largely sealed their border crossings with Gaza, on the grounds that Fatah had fled and was no longer providing security on the Palestinian side.

Blockade of the Gaza Strip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't see that blocking aid from getting through might prevent Gazans from receiving that aid?

none of the things you mention prevent the Palestinians in Gaza from getting fed.

Following the takeover, Egypt and Israel largely sealed their border crossings with Gaza, on the grounds that Fatah had fled and was no longer providing security on the Palestinian side.

You don't see that blocking aid from getting through might prevent Gazans from receiving that aid?

they are allowed to receive food... just not arms.

oh no... israeli's protect themselves from terrorists! how horrible!!

perhaps your concern should be the terrorist leadership in gaza as opposed to what is being done to protect themselve from the terrorist leadership?

you don't know much, do you?

Last edited:
give me a break.

You have never had even half a toe in my country, so you cannot pretend or THINK you know how we live here. Yes, we have issues, but we lead normal lives.

Tel Aviv is one of the 4th most popular city for tourism, in both Africa and MidEast area, it's the New York of the east, and surely feels like it.

War Zone. Pfft.

Absolutely, and bravo, Lipush!!!

Tel Aviv feels very like New York - it's so multi-cultural, such an amazing range of people and languages and places. So mch art, so much culture....it's an amazing centre for tourism. I walk around Tel Aviv and never feel any sense of danger. It's not like being in East Jersualem, where you can sometimes feel threatened.

People who have never been to Israel have no idea at all what it is like there.

Um....you might want to check that. Aid has quite often been blocked, particularly when the Israeli action in Gaza was at its peak.

There is also the issue of the import of products used to make and produce basic foodstuffs...items such as flour and sugar, fertilizer and sprays. Both categories have been regularly blocked, particularly during 2008-09.

Last edited:

That blokkade never stopped food getting in.

Every third child in Gaza stunted by hunger": interview with renowned doctor Mads Gilbert

SK: What is the healthcare situation in the Gaza Strip like now?

MG: As a result of the Israeli siege, there has been widespread development of anemia among children and women due to malnutrition as a result of siege and poverty. Stunting, where a child is more than two standard deviations shorter than what it should be, is sharply on the rise. In 2006, around 13.5 percent of children were stunted. In 2009, 31.4 percent under age two were stunted.

In other words, every third child is less developed than he or she should be. And stunting does not only affect growth. It also affects brain development and the ability to learn. This is a direct consequence of malnutrition. Remember, this is not caused by drought or natural disasters, but a deliberate, man-made lack of food and water, imposed, planned, and executed in the most detailed way by the Israeli government. They even calculate how many calories to let in to Gaza to avoid outright starvation but to “just” cause malnutrition since that goes under the radar of human rights abuses

This article is reported on Electronic Intifada website

So?

Um....you might want to check that. Aid has quite often been blocked, particularly when the Israeli action in Gaza was at its peak.

no. YOU might want to chceck that. nothing is keeping the billions given to the pals away from them.

israeli action in the gaza.

lol.. yeah, how dare they keep people from blowing up their children.

you have zero knowledge of fact... just a lot of whinging about poor pals....

they could have had peace when arafat was alive and they were offered about 98% of what they asked for.

but they don't want peace. and israelis aren't going to lay down and die for terrorists and their idiotic supporters

It is disturbing reading through this thread, how few comments address the fact that children are dying of malnutrition.

I don't care whose kids they are, and I don't care if they are Jewish, Muslim, black or white - given the wealth we have on this planet, it is completely unacceptable that any child should die of malnutrition.

It's a failure for all of us, for all peoples and governments.

It really disturbs me how cheaply people on this thread seem to hold those lives.

I guess a lot of you don't have kids.
I read about the observers in Gaza, the massive aid from the US, UN and all the relief organizations. Doctors Without Borders, all the do-gooders, the IRC. Hell. we could even add the NBA,PGA and NFL. And kids are "stunted with hunger?" With all the aid and comfort the Palis get, this just makes my heart bleed purple piss. Get real.

Forum List

Back