EU GPS is Flakey

An EMP or other devices can take out Satellite, and internet based communications. Yes, the U.S. armed forces are now dependent a lot on technology and computers linking forces to provide Situational Awareness, and munitions delivery. It is a bit scary how dependent they've become. However, there are back ups and contingencies should this technology go down.

However, there are back ups and contingencies should this technology go down.

And they have been tested in the real world and proven to be useable without any electronics?

You know, laser based location devices that replaced gyroscopes are dependent on electronics too, right?

And they have been tested in the real world and proven to be useable without any electronics?

You know, laser based location devices that replaced gyroscopes are dependent on electronics too, right?

Yes, anything electronics based can be taken out, and yes they do have contingencies for that too.

Yes, anything electronics based can be taken out, and yes they do have contingencies for that too.

I hope you are right, but I cannot understand how that can be successfully tested. Too many sources for electronic information means that anyone can cheat the test.

The technology that was replaced by these new technologies are the back-ups, I was a radioman in the USN and we knew that the first thing the soviets [it was the late 70's] would do is knock out our satellites so we would have exercises practicing on the old equipment which ran off of self generated [ie in-house-shipboard] electricity.

Forum List

Back