Ethics: Compulsive liars

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by AllieBaba, Mar 12, 2011.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Low self-esteem: This is a hallmark of most people with a compulsive lying disorder. Deep-seated feelings of inferiority drive such a person to fabricate a persona that makes them feel more worthy.
    Other negative personality traits: Compulsive lying is often a secondary impulse related to other personality disorders. Watch for narcissistic and/or manipulative behavior. Inappropriate emotions and impulsive reactions to situations can be another tip off that something is not quite right.
    Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): People suffering from ADHD also demonstrate impulsive behavior, and it's possible for this to escalate into uncontrollable lying if not kept in check.
    Addictions: People with addictions to gambling, alcohol, drugs or other activities also are much more likely to lie compulsively.
    Bipolar Disorder: Sufferers of a bipolar disorder seesaw through periods of depression and mania. Depression is usually accompanied by low self-esteem and feeling like life is dreadful. Mania is the complete opposite, and a person feels like life is grand and nothing can get in the way. Impulsive behavior is common during this period, and it becomes easier to tell a lie than face reality.
    Inability to face reality: Even when confronted with the cold facts, a true compulsive liar will never admit the truth. Attempts to make the person do so will result in further lying and perhaps even emotional outbursts designed to deflect attention from the lying.
    Symptoms of Compulsive Liars - LoveToKnow Recovery

Sky, thy name art LIAR.

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I have compassion for everybody, Sky. I've worked with sex offenders, murderers, the damaged and the hopeless. I have compassion for you.

But I will still call you on lying. It's not a good trait. Nor will I ever condone most of the things you advocate here - namely abortion, bigotry and oppression. You can engage in all the histrionics you like. My compassion does not lead me to enable you r anyone else that engages in harmful practices and ideology. Compassion is not interchangeable with enabling.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Since I actually quite like both of you (despite what Sky thinks), I hope you two can make some kind of peace. It's a message board.... we shouldn't take dramas and conflicts too seriously. At least, I never do. I can bitch slap a mate in one thread, and laugh about it on PM.

As Mal would say.... Peace.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    And Sky you haven't hurt me at all. I resent anyone who will attack others, then claim victimhood, as you so often do. I resent it because it clouds the waters for TRUE victims. People who are really are being targeted, hurt, killed, oppressed. Your false cries of "I'm a victim! Look at me! I can make these proclamations and claim asylum based upon my victimhood!" disgust me because I work with real victims. Such behavior is exploitive and manipulative, and the people being manipulated and exploited include people who are TRUE victims.

5. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    I have to spread rep around or I'd have given you some for this.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    We aren't friends because you're a liar, Sky.

And this post...lol...back to the beginning we go. Yes, you are bigoted. Yes you do advocate for abortion. And yes, you do promote oppression.

Of course you think if you justify it, those definitions can't possibly apply to YOU...but you're wrong.

7. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,651
    From what I've seen, some Christian sects and some Christians have no problem with lying....pretty much every pro-Prop H8 commercial paid for by Christian $$ were lies...proven lies.

So much for their "Thou Shall Not Bear False Witness".

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    We aren't talking about religion, we're talking about compulsive liars. If you want to show evidence of a particular person who compulsively lies, and illustrate that, great. Otherwise...
    red herring.

And Sky, that wasn't an olive branch.

9. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,651

Can't really see you giving anyone an olive branch. That would be....well, never mind.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    No, she said she gave me one. Of course you missed it, it doesn't exist. Another lie.