Eric Holder, IRS officials coached tax-exempt black ministers...

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
Eric Holder, IRS officials coached tax-exempt black ministers on how to engage in political activity

Read more: Eric Holder, IRS officials advised black ministers | The Daily Caller
Attorney General Eric Holder and IRS officials advised black ministers on how to engage in political activity during the 2012 election without violating their tax-exempt status.

Holder, then-IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman, and Peter Lorenzetti, a senior official in the scandal-plagued agency’s exempt organizations division, participated in a May 2012 training session for black ministers from the Conference of National Black Churches at the U.S. Capitol hosted by the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC). Holder spoke at the event.

“We’re going to, first of all, equip them with the information they need to know about what they can say and what they cannot say in the church that would violate their 501(c)(3) status with the IRS,” said then-CBC chairman Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, a Democrat from Missouri. “In fact, we’re going to have the IRS administrator there. We’re going to have Attorney General Eric Holder there…the ACLU.”

--

“[The CBC] had the IRS members there specifically to advise them on how far to go campaigning without violating their tax-exempt status,” George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley told The Daily Caller.

“I viewed the meeting as highly problematic. Eric Holder heads the agency that prosecutes organizations who give false information to the government. The Justice Department coordinates with the IRS on actions taken against not-for-profits. These ministries are given not-for-profit status on the basis that they are not engaging in any political activities. Here, the Obama administration was clearly encouraging them to maximize their efforts by showing them where the lines were drawn in federal case law,” Turley said.

“It is a fundamental precept that cabinet members should not engage in political activities. The most important of those cabinet members would be the attorney general of the United States. To have the attorney general actively advising political allies of the president showed remarkably poor judgment on his part,” Turley told TheDC.

“I believe this session undermined the integrity of the justice department, signaled to other Justice Department officials that the attorney general wants to support these black ministries as much as possible,” Turley said.​
Professor Turley, I disagree. The Obama Justice Department HAS no integrity.

Of course it was Liberal groups that got the help.

This fits in with the past actions and comments by these two departments.

The DOJ saying they will not prosecute any voter intimidation activites where minorities were the offenders and whites the victims and the IRS with their attacks on Conservative groups.

“We’re going to, first of all, equip them with the information they need to know about what they can say and what they cannot say in the church that would violate their 501(c)(3) status with the IRS,” said then-CBC chairman Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, a Democrat from Missouri. “In fact, we’re going to have the IRS administrator there. We’re going to have Attorney General Eric Holder there…the ACLU.”

Since we are talking about "Black churches", I have a question for you. Do you think that some "Black churches" or many "Black churches" may go over the line between pulpit and politics? I'm pretty sure I have read some conservative republicans complaining about that. If that's true (about the churches), I can see the above as a soft way of telling them to "knock it off" and provide them the information they need in order to COMPLY with the 501(c)(3) provisions.

First and foremost I don't have any problem with political activities in churches, it has been a tradition in this country since before our founding for ministers to address political matters and I see no reason to restrain them. After all politics effect the well being of the community and that is the business of the church.

This administration uses the IRS to launch a witchhunt against Tea Party groups while coaching Black Churches on how to skirt the law in regards to Politics.

That's called HYPOCRISY....something this administration habitually practices.

Eric Holder, IRS officials coached tax-exempt black ministers on how to engage in political activity

Who coached the tax exempt white ministers?
No one, apparently. Probably because the congregations of white ministers are predominantly Republican.

And of course, as this Administration has shown us, the purpose of government is to ensure Democrats are elected.

Forum List

Back