Eragon

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Hobbit, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I just finished the book in about 4 days. It's quite good, and an easy read. It does borrow a bit from other sources (Tolkein, Star Wars, etc.), but not enough to make it feel like more of 'been there, done that.'

It follows the story of a boy named (tah-dah) Eragon who finds a polished stone in the forest when he's out hunting. Before long, the stone hatches into a dragon, and Eragon becomes bonded to it, communicating telepathically and becoming stronger and able to use magic. He is the first person to do so in hundreds of years, when humans and elves rode dragons and used their power to preserve peace and justice. When the evil king (the only other living rider) finds out about this, though, Eragon has to set out into the world to try to hide from his enemies and refine his talents to use against the king. This is the first part of a trilogy, and thus advances a little slowly, but it's well worth the read if you like fantasy.

I haven't seen the new movie, though, if anyone wants to put forth a view on that (I plan to see it soon, now that I've read the book).

As a side note, the kid who wrote this book was 15 at the time, and when his family read it, they mortaged their farm to get it published (and nearly lost it in the process). The second in the series, Eldest, is also out, and the yet to be titled conclusion is currently being written.

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'm reading this, now, Hobbit! :)

3. Greg Bernhardt

Greg Bernhardt www.physics*****s.com

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've seen the Eldest book in the book store. Thinking of picking it up, but I guess I have to read Eragon first?

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Would you read The Two Towers before reading The Fellowship of the Ring?

*Yes, read Eragon first or you'll be hopelessly lost.

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Well, I'm ALMOST all the way through the book. It's okay. After the Lord of the Rings, I think this one just lacks depth, and from my POV, truth. Too much in there about Eragon being the master of his own fate. But, considering the fact that Paolini was supposedly 15 when he started writing this book, it's pretty good. Interesting plot & lots of action.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    From what ive heard about the movie; its too short and very choppy.

Im not planning to see it until its on video.