EPA says it can't pay economic damages from massive mine spill that sent tainted water into Utah

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
EPA says it can't pay economic damages from massive mine spill that sent tainted water into Utah
Denver • The Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday it will not repay claims totaling more than $1.2 billion for economic damages from a mine waste spill the agency accidentally triggered in Colorado, saying the law prohibits it.

The EPA said the claims could be refiled in federal court, or Congress could authorize payments.

But attorneys for the EPA and the Justice Department concluded the EPA is barred from paying the claims because of sovereign immunity, which prohibits most lawsuits against the government.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
And this should be shocking because why? Oh yes they are part of the Government and the Government never has to pay for it's fk ups , but if you were caught doing something you would have a nice stay in the prison system for awhile.

Denver • The Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday it will not repay claims totaling more than $1.2 billion for economic damages from a mine waste spill the agency accidentally triggered in Colorado, saying the law prohibits it.

The EPA said the claims could be refiled in federal court, or Congress could authorize payments.

But attorneys for the EPA and the Justice Department concluded the EPA is barred from paying the claims because of sovereign immunity, which prohibits most lawsuits against the government.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
And this should be shocking because why? Oh yes they are part of the Government and the Government never has to pay for it's fk ups , but if you were caught doing something you would have a nice stay in the prison system for awhile.

What the EPA is really saying is that they can refuse to do what they would fine a private company out of business for doing.

The EPA is now above the law? As I recall a judge just slammed them for this kind of behavior...

“EPA does not get to decide whether compliance with (the law) is good policy, or would lead to too many difficulties for the agency,” Bailey wrote. “It is time for the EPA to recognize that Congress makes the law, and EPA must not only enforce the law, it must obey it.”

Source- Not Tired Of Winning Yet

Because of this behavior, every rule made can be withdrawn by Executive Order as they did not follow the law in making them..

In EPA rebuke, judge orders quick evaluation on coal jobs

Big Government do as I say not as I do and those who run it want more of it. Republicans and Democrats are responsible for its expansion.

Forum List

Back