Emergency medical treatment

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by OohPooPahDoo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    One of the main reasons we are required to buy health insurance now is because hospitals are required by law to stabilize a patient in need of imminent life saving care regardless of their ability to pay.

Many Republicans say "well just get rid of that requirement!"

Sounds like a wonderful idea. If you don't live in the real world.

Just last week I found out that health insurance that I paid for my son through my employer did not actually exist. It was a paperwork glitch and both my employer and insurer blame the other. Whatever. Point is, in the ideal Republican world, if my son had an accident or severe illness and needed life saving hospital care immediately - they would have been fine with him dying because a few grown ups messed up some paperwork - even though his father did the responsible thing and bought health insurance for him.

They discount the reality that in the heat of an emergency there are numerous Americans WITH health coverage that might not be able to immediately prove they have it. What about people who get mugged and have their wallet stolen and show up unconscious, the hospital doesn't know who they are? As far as they know - they are uninsured, so in ideal Republican land where hospitals are not required to stabilize patients in danger of losing their lives - its OK just to let them die.

I just think that's fucked. That's all. I was pretty nervous knowing my son's coverage would be denied until the paperwork glitch was fixed, but I was at least comforted by the fact that if he experienced a life threatening emergency, the hospital would be required to treat him even though the insurance company (who I paid money to) would refuse to pay it at first.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,666
    Really? Who exactly says this.

3. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320

I'm confused.

So Republicans think hospitals should be required to provide emergency medical treatment to people who have no health insurance -

but they are opposed to requiring those who can afford health insurance to buy it?

4. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Soggy, what would you suggest? Keep the ability for anyone to come to the ER, get treated, but then not pay for it? Or...get rid of that requirement???

Or...there is a 3rd option. Make sure everyone who comes to the ER has health insurance by req........wait a minute, I aint gonna go there.

5. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Personal responsibility! Sounds like a great idea to Republicans - till it started coming out of a Democrat's mouth.

6. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Wow....Bitchin' borderline implausible lifeboat ethics scenario, dude. :lol:

In the real world, the conscious can get very affordable on-demand medical care at fee-for-service urgent care clinics.

Nice try though.

7. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,676
    I'll start thinking the requirement to have insurance isn't necessary, when ambulances start leaving on the side of the road those who don't. In the mean time those who can afford insurance and don't get it, are as much freeloaders as the "welfare queens" the righties are always complaining about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    try to stay on topic, gomer

9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320

Its implausible that someone could have their wallet stolen in a mugging?

wtf?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,676
    What's "very affordable" about serious and complicated surgeries? Nobody except the Romney-class can afford that out-of-pocket. How many times do you have to get called on the same stupid shit?!?! Think we didn't see that lame explanation the last 100 times you posted it?