Emergency land sell

Your initial statement is false, Queen Elizabeth is the biggest land owner in the world followed by the Russian government, and the Chinese government. The US government is a distant fourth compared with the leaders. That inaccuracy aside, I wonder which one of the big three you are interested in selling off the national treasure to? China already owns a lot of US land whereas Americans are not exactly buying up real estate like hotcakes right now.

If I bought the Great Wall of China, I would probably paint that purple and gold too.

Your initial statement is false, Queen Elizabeth is the biggest land owner in the world followed by the Russian government, and the Chinese government. The US government is a distant fourth compared with the leaders. That inaccuracy aside, I wonder which one of the big three you are interested in selling off the national treasure to? China already owns a lot of US land whereas Americans are not exactly buying up real estate like hotcakes right now.

If I bought the Great Wall of China, I would probably paint that purple and gold too.

Country clubs and cemeteries are the biggest wasters of prime real estate!...Dead people? They don't need buried nowadays...Ecology, right?...Ask Wang, he'll tell you...We just bought property behind the Great Wall...On the good side!

the Land should always remain a part of the National Heritage and is rightfully administered by the gov't for all American citizens.

if Republicans want to pay down the Debt they need only let their 2003 tax legislation expire January 2nd and stop making excuses and senseless proposals for a debt condition they are responsible for creating.

And of course, raising taxes on everyone will come nowhere near close to solving our debt.

There is no individual or nation in the world that owns more land than the US Government. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. Perhaps it is time that this government start selling some of this land to pay down on the tremendous amount of debt that they have given us. I personally prefer that it only be available to American citizens. Think of the value of some of the oil rich land we have accross this country and the enormous amount of money it would bring. Why does this government need so much land?

It is also important to note that it is fairly easy to lease much of that land for oil and gas exploration but under new rules you have to use it or lose it, can't sit on that lease for decades doing nothing as has been the case in the past. The rest of it deemed too environmentally sensitive is a pretty small percentage and a small price to pay to preserve some of the most beautiful country in the world.

sell it to who?

American citizens

While I agree we should sell any assets that are not absolutely necessary, including land, I disagree with your position that the sale should be restricted to any one group. If our goal to generate revenue to pay down debt, we should sell to the highest bidder. I couldn't care less what nationality the new owner of some land in Nevada will be, just that he paid the highest price the market would bear for that land.

I prefer ownership stay in America with the oil rich land and other valuable land uses it could provide many jobs for Americans therefore giving more tax money to pay off debt.

American citizens

While I agree we should sell any assets that are not absolutely necessary, including land, I disagree with your position that the sale should be restricted to any one group. If our goal to generate revenue to pay down debt, we should sell to the highest bidder. I couldn't care less what nationality the new owner of some land in Nevada will be, just that he paid the highest price the market would bear for that land.

I prefer ownership stay in America with the oil rich land and other valuable land uses it could provide many jobs for Americans therefore giving more tax money to pay off debt.

The law says that you cannot discriminate by race or national origin when selling anything.

There is no individual or nation in the world that owns more land than the US Government. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. Perhaps it is time that this government start selling some of this land to pay down on the tremendous amount of debt that they have given us. I personally prefer that it only be available to American citizens. Think of the value of some of the oil rich land we have accross this country and the enormous amount of money it would bring. Why does this government need so much land?

It is also important to note that it is fairly easy to lease much of that land for oil and gas exploration but under new rules you have to use it or lose it, can't sit on that lease for decades doing nothing as has been the case in the past. The rest of it deemed too environmentally sensitive is a pretty small percentage and a small price to pay to preserve some of the most beautiful country in the world.

Oil and gas exploration has been limited by our government on government land. If it were privately owned it would hopefully be easier to use drill which would create so many jobs and take us away from foriegn oil.

The law says that you cannot discriminate by race or national origin when selling anything.
Just ignore the law...Boiking does it all the time and you don't give a shit.

I do not care what race or what country they come from I just want them to be American citizens to purchase the lands.

Oil and gas exploration has been limited by our government on government land. If it were privately owned it would hopefully be easier to use drill which would create so many jobs and take us away from foriegn oil.

Not really, Obama canceled leases that had been unused for a long time, much of those are available but not leased as yet because the oil companies have no intention of exploring for oil in any reasonable time frame. Also the way oil is bought, sold and especially manipulated, domestic drilling is not the answer to either energy independence or lower gas prices, it creates jobs but that's about it.

American citizens

The illegality of refusing to sell to a particular race or ethnicity aside, what makes you think that if land or other assets are sold to an American, that more US jobs will result? You can't tell the American what he must do anything with that asset, it's his. The Japanese certainly buy land in the US...and create jobs for Americans in the process. Ask anyone that works for Honda or Toyota. You get the idea...

Sorry, but if the idea of the Feds selling land is to RAISE revenue, we should sell it to the highest bidder.

The illegality of refusing to sell to a particular race or ethnicity aside, what makes you think that if land or other assets are sold to an American, that more US jobs will result? You can't tell the American what he must do anything with that asset, it's his. The Japanese certainly buy land in the US...and create jobs for Americans in the process. Ask anyone that works for Honda or Toyota. You get the idea...

Sorry, but if the idea of the Feds selling land is to RAISE revenue, we should sell it to the highest bidder.

It's a bad idea anyway, we already have a hell of a lot of land for sale in this country and few buyers, what would be the result of 650 million acres coming on the market?

It's a bad idea anyway, we already have a hell of a lot of land for sale in this country and few buyers, what would be the result of 650 million acres coming on the market?

Depends on the natural resources and other exploitable characteristics of the land. Further, we have many other assets than just land, including thousand of empty buildings. With the kind of debt we're piling up, there is NO reason to sit on assets that could generate much needed revenue. More importantly, we're not just 'sitting' on land, the Feds are acquiring more! With money we do not have of course.

Depends on the natural resources and other exploitable characteristics of the land. Further, we have many other assets than just land, including thousand of empty buildings. With the kind of debt we're piling up, there is NO reason to sit on assets that could generate much needed revenue. More importantly, we're not just 'sitting' on land, the Feds are acquiring more! With money we do not have of course.
There are few pieces of federal land that is not purchasable or if someone really wants it, the government sells land as much as it buys land. The situation where the government buys land to protect it from development is a pretty small percentage, most of it is government land because no one has ever wanted to own it.

There are few pieces of federal land that is not purchasable or if someone really wants it, the government sells land as much as it buys land. The situation where the government buys land to protect it from development is a pretty small percentage, most of it is government land because no one has ever wanted to own it.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but this is counter to my understanding. Are you saying that 30% of the land in America "no one has ever wanted" or is otherwise worthless. What percentage of Federal land is worthless? Do you have a link or any evidence in support of your claim?

Certainly you'd agree that it is asinine for the Feds to be sitting on thousand and thousands of empty buildings. They are worth something! Can we sell those please?

While the government owns huge tracts of land throughout the nation, they also own buildings that are no longer in use that could easily be sold to developers. I bet if one goes to the effort to find out exactly what the government owns, they might find some truly interesting stuff!

All of this land monopolized by the feds in the 11 western states and nobody, but nobody, would want it.

100528_federal_land.jpg

You're either a stone ignoramus or a bold-faced liar....Most likely a pretty fair mixture of the two.

While the government owns huge tracts of land throughout the nation, they also own buildings that are no longer in use that could easily be sold to developers. I bet if one goes to the effort to find out exactly what the government owns, they might find some truly interesting stuff!

They could rent out the East Wing of the White House to GE and Google executives, and have a pay-per-hour rate on the Lincoln bedroom.

Forum List

Back