Elizabeth Warren Is Done Listening To GOP Talking Points On The Wealth Tax

Conservatives love to mythologize wealthy people as brave, resolute, patriotic captains of industry who won’t let anything get in the way of their success. At the same time, they also frequently portray the rich as timid little whelps who will instantly grab their balls and go home if anyone tries to pluck so much as a single guilder from their hulking dragon hoards.

And as wealth has been siphoned upward over the past several decades—with the help of a pro-plutocrat political system that continually rewards silver-spoon dipshits for their mediocrity—many in the media have bought into the notion that the wealthy are a special class of people who need to be handled with great care, like a vintage Porsche or a queen bee.

Those poor souls. Pimping daddy’s inheritance ain’t easy you know.
Democrats love to assume rich people are actively making it impossible for them to succeed in life

When you see the donations from rich people and corporations flooding into politics, you may say that is free speech but in a tin pot dictatorship in Africa it is called bribery...

When 1 in 14 people in the last administration were lobbyists, four time the previous one..Then in the last week of the administration they were allowed to go straight back to there . So the rich (people and corporations) have paid operators in government. If this was done companies it would be call corporate espionage...

And what is the outcome, increased wealth divide, harder access to education for middle class, lower environmental standards, lower worker protections,....

But look who at which party is the poster boy for all this... It is the GOP... Democrats aren't innocent but GOP are rampant... Trump was the worst infringer, he talked about swamp but his actions made him worse than anyone.

I never said any such thing. In fact I have been saying all along that we need to get the money out of politics.

A consumption tax and thats it.

Is that on everything that you would purchase or is it more targeted? I have heard and read it in several ways.

On every market transaction

So food as well?
Yup. I believe letting people keep their money and implementing a consumption tax has many benefits. It’s the most progressive tax system, everyone has skin in the game, and it will increase tax revenue. It’s one of those things that make too much sense to ever happen.

Is that on everything that you would purchase or is it more targeted? I have heard and read it in several ways.

So food as well?
Yup. I believe letting people keep their money and implementing a consumption tax has many benefits. It’s the most progressive tax system, everyone has skin in the game, and it will increase tax revenue. It’s one of those things that make too much sense to ever happen.
Oh it will happen but all the other taxes will stay in place.

So food as well?

Interesting, I have never read or heard of this system including food.

So food as well?

Not likely in either account.

So food as well?

That’s what I’m afraid of

So food as well?

They have it in some places in Europe along with other taxes

So food as well?

They have it in some places in Europe along with other taxes

Yikes!!!!

So food as well?

Isn't it already happening?

So food as well?

Not at the federal level.

Conservatives love to mythologize wealthy people as brave, resolute, patriotic captains of industry who won’t let anything get in the way of their success. At the same time, they also frequently portray the rich as timid little whelps who will instantly grab their balls and go home if anyone tries to pluck so much as a single guilder from their hulking dragon hoards.

And as wealth has been siphoned upward over the past several decades—with the help of a pro-plutocrat political system that continually rewards silver-spoon dipshits for their mediocrity—many in the media have bought into the notion that the wealthy are a special class of people who need to be handled with great care, like a vintage Porsche or a queen bee.

Democrats love to assume rich people are actively making it impossible for them to succeed in life

When you see the donations from rich people and corporations flooding into politics, you may say that is free speech but in a tin pot dictatorship in Africa it is called bribery...

When 1 in 14 people in the last administration were lobbyists, four time the previous one..Then in the last week of the administration they were allowed to go straight back to there . So the rich (people and corporations) have paid operators in government. If this was done companies it would be call corporate espionage...

And what is the outcome, increased wealth divide, harder access to education for middle class, lower environmental standards, lower worker protections,....

But look who at which party is the poster boy for all this... It is the GOP... Democrats aren't innocent but GOP are rampant... Trump was the worst infringer, he talked about swamp but his actions made him worse than anyone.

Maybe if you tell us what a perfect world looks like to you?

Sorry but the proposal was for a Flat tax... I am just asking questions about it....

I want to know if Flat tax is a serious suggestion and what would be done to mitigate the pitfalls...

Well, pitfalls like what exactly?

So food as well?

Not at the federal level.

Not a lot. I agree

Excise taxes are narrowly based taxes on consumption, levied on specific goods, services, and activities. They can be either a per unit tax (such as the per gallon tax on gasoline) or a percentage of price (such as the airline ticket tax). Generally, excise taxes are collected from producers or wholesalers, and are embedded in the price paid by final consumers.

Federal excise tax revenue has declined over time relative to the size of the economy. As a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP), excise tax revenue fell from 2.7 percent in 1950 to 0.7 percent by 1979 (figure 1). Receipts temporarily increased because of the crude oil windfall profit tax imposed in 1980, but excluding that tax, (the dashed line in figure 1) revenue was about 0.7 percent of GDP through the 1980s and 1990s. Excise tax revenues as a percentage of GDP gradually declined again throughout the 2000s to roughly 0.4 percent in recent years.

Envy is a terrible thing that consumes most Democrats.

Flat tax, no deductions, includes any capital gains and exceptions only for those making below a certain amount. Problem solved. Would rid of us most of the IRS and certainly a lot of headaches around this time of year. No reason to tax anyone a higher percentage just because they are successful. I am not much into the current progressive tax system either.

The progressive tax system is a communist pillar.
That is used by the every major country in the first world...

By the way Communists don't have progressive tax system...

That comment just showed us your ignorance of the topic and pretty much nothing else...

"

Karl Marx's "10 Planks" to seize power and destroy freedom:

1. Abolition of Property in Land and Application of all Rents of Land to Public Purpose.​
  2. A Heavy Progressive or Graduated Income Tax.
  3. Abolition of All Rights of Inheritance.​
  4. Confiscation of the Property of All Emigrants and Rebels.​
  5. Centralization of Credit in the Hands of the State, by Means of a National Bank with State Capital and an Exclusive Monopoly.​
  6. Centralization of the Means of Communication and Transport in the Hands of the State.​
  7. Extension of Factories and Instruments of Production Owned by the State, the Bringing Into Cultivation of Waste Lands, and the Improvement of the Soil Generally in Accordance with a Common Plan.​
  8. Equal Liability of All to Labor. Establishment of Industrial Armies, Especially for Agriculture.​
  9. Combination of Agriculture with Manufacturing Industries; Gradual Abolition of the Distinction Between Town and Country by a More Equable Distribution of the Population over the Country.​
  10. Free Education for All Children in Public Schools. Abolition of Children's Factory Labor in it's Present Form. Combination of Education with Industrial Production."​

Envy is a terrible thing that consumes most Democrats.

Flat tax, no deductions, includes any capital gains and exceptions only for those making below a certain amount. Problem solved. Would rid of us most of the IRS and certainly a lot of headaches around this time of year. No reason to tax anyone a higher percentage just because they are successful. I am not much into the current progressive tax system either.

Great, Show us a country of a reasonable size who implementing this tax policy...

By the way did you consider social implications to having huge income gap with small selection of massively rich people, an Uber class... So rich they would be effectively above the law...
So rich they would be effectively above the law...is basically what we have now.

Darn!

She was doing such a good job of listening before.

The more one benefits from society's structure, the more is owed to that society.

Because they are.

Forum List

Back