Elevated CO2 decreases nitrogen absorption in plants

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
A new paper, and another denier claim bites the dust.

Constraints to nitrogen acquisition of terrestrial plants under elevated CO2 - Feng - 2015 - Global Change Biology - Wiley Online Library

They spent years doing field studies -- that it, growing things on big plots of land outside -- for forest, grassland and cropland habitats. When CO2 levels were elevated, all types of plants were less able to absorb nitrogen, affecting growth and crop nutrition. Adding more fertilizer didn't help.

Increased carbon dioxide levels in air restrict plants ability to absorb nutrients - University of Gothenburg Sweden
---
When carbon dioxide levels in the air increase, crops in future will have a reduced nitrogen content, and therefore reduced protein levels. The study found this for both wheat and rice, the two most important crops globally.

“For all types of ecosystem the results show that high carbon dioxide levels can impede plants’ ability to absorb nitrogen, and that this negative effect is partly why raised carbon dioxide has a marginal or non-existent effect on growth in many ecosystems,” says Johan Uddling.
---

So all those farmers working around here are wasting their money on nitrogen fertilizer? Just how did the scientists increase the CO2 levels? Sounds like a closed system test to me, which always screws up you Faithers.

A new paper, and another denier claim bites the dust.

Constraints to nitrogen acquisition of terrestrial plants under elevated CO2 - Feng - 2015 - Global Change Biology - Wiley Online Library

They spent years doing field studies -- that it, growing things on big plots of land outside -- for forest, grassland and cropland habitats. When CO2 levels were elevated, all types of plants were less able to absorb nitrogen, affecting growth and crop nutrition. Adding more fertilizer didn't help.

Increased carbon dioxide levels in air restrict plants ability to absorb nutrients - University of Gothenburg Sweden
---
When carbon dioxide levels in the air increase, crops in future will have a reduced nitrogen content, and therefore reduced protein levels. The study found this for both wheat and rice, the two most important crops globally.

“For all types of ecosystem the results show that high carbon dioxide levels can impede plants’ ability to absorb nitrogen, and that this negative effect is partly why raised carbon dioxide has a marginal or non-existent effect on growth in many ecosystems,” says Johan Uddling.
---

Hmm, Here are quite a few studies that uptake seems to not be a problem. LACK of N was an issue however.

Cotton plants were grown in late spring under full sunlight in glasshouses containing normal ambient partial pressure of CO2 (32±2Pa) and enriched partial pressure of CO2 (64±1.5Pa) and at four levels of nitrogen nutrition. Thirty-five days after planting, the total dry weights of high CO2-grown plants were 2- to 3.5-fold greater than plants grown in normal ambient CO2 partial pressure. Depending on nitrogen nutrition level, non-structural carbohydrate content (mainly starch) in the leaves of plants grown in normal CO2 was between 4 and 37% of the total leaf dry weight compared to 39 to 52% in the leaves of high CO2-grown plants. Specific leaf weight calculated using total dry weight was 1.6- to 2-fold greater than that based on structural dry weight. In high CO2-grown plants the amount of non-structural carbohydrate translocated from the leaves at night was between 10 and 20% of the level at the end of the photoperiod. This suggests that the plant was unable to utilize all the carbohydrate it assimilated in elevated CO2 atmosphere. While there was a 1.5-fold enhancement in the rate of CO2 assimilation in plants grown in 64 Pa CO2, there was, however, some evidence to suggest that the activities of other metabolic pathways in the plants were not stimulated to the same extent by the enriched CO2 atmosphere. This resulted in massive accumulation of non-structural carbohydrate, particularly at low level of nitrogen nutrition.

Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth II. Non-structural carbohydrate... - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

Study Finds Plant Growth Surges as CO2 Levels Rise

Study Finds Plant Growth Surges as CO2 Levels Rise Climate Central

Current evidence suggests that that the concentrations of atmospheric CO2 predicted for the year 2100 will have major implications for plant physiology and growth. Under elevated CO2 most plant species show higher rates of photosynthesis, increased growth, decreased water use and lowered tissue concentrations of nitrogen and protein. Rising CO2 over the next century is likely to affect both agricultural production and food quality. The effects of elevated CO2 are not uniform; some species, particularly those that utilize the C4 variant of photosynthesis, show less of a response to elevated CO2 than do other types of plants. Rising CO2 is therefore likely to have complex effects on the growth and composition of natural plant communities.

Effects of Rising Atmospheric Concentrations of Carbon Dioxide on Plants Learn Science at Scitable

So all those farmers working around here are wasting their money on nitrogen fertilizer? Just how did the scientists increase the CO2 levels? Sounds like a closed system test to me, which always screws up you Faithers.
They have arrays of perforated PVC tubing that put CO2 into the air in the fields. I don't recall what they call it, but I know they've been doing it for years.

Mamoonbat

Atmospheric Experiments Genesis Park

Whittier-Pumpkin1-300x250.jpg

Reality called, they said you're a "Reality Denier!"

They have arrays of perforated PVC tubing that put CO2 into the air in the fields. I don't recall what they call it, but I know they've been doing it for years.

That contributes to global warming according to you guys.

That contributes to global warming according to you guys.
Not.

Here's a solution:

If everyone who believes that man is destroying the planet does the right thing and kills themselves, the planet will be better off and this country will be better off. If you guys believe you are correct, do the right thing and take yourselves out of the equasion.

So you make respiration easier for a plant and it needs less food (N), no kidding.

That's true. Please make certain to bring that up the next time someone suggests increasing CO2 will end hunger and starvation.

Forum List

Back