Electric cars

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Sustainability, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sustainability

Sustainability Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am trying to know how electric cars could be more desirable to own and the public views on the future of electric cars?

2. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    I work for an airline and almost all of our tugs and belt loaders are now electric. They don't hold charges that long, especially in cold weather, I am in Houston so the coldest it got this year was about 23 degrees F. I can't imagine how bad they would be in the North East. Obama can pretend that we are close to getting some where with alternative energy but he is as ignorant about that as he is about the economy. The system the Chevy Volt will use might work but the public is not very bright and I doubt that most will provide the upkeep to keep any system working. The same that have trash cars will have worse alternative fuel cars. They are also very expensive. BMWs Mini Cooper division has come out with a battery operated Mini, it's battery pack is 30,000 dollars. The Honda Hybrid's batteries need to be replaced around 90,000 miles...... 2,500-4,000 dollars.

Meanwhile Obama's tooling around in one of the Air Force Ones while the other is flying around as a dummy, along with a couple of C-5As, they are burning more fuel in an 10 minutes than you and your family will use in your lifetime.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,774
    I have a 2003 Honda Hybrid that I bought in 2002. It has 110,000 miles on it and averages 45 mpg. The battery hasn't been a problem even though the indicator light and my dealer tell me that it needs to be replaced...I think it is actually a problem with the gas cap fitting. I'm thinking of writing to Honda and asking them to extend my battery's warranty to 150,000 miles like they've done in several other states.

Either way, this car has saved me money in the long run and has polluted less...a good deal, IMO.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

Electric cars will make sense when we find some way to produce the electricity tp power them that doesn't contribute to gloabl climate change.

They are obviously no solution if we're polluting to create the electicity they run on.

5. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    One big problem with electric cars are the materials needed to produce them. The mining or production of the materials needed to make the batteries are highly toxic and are quite capable of producing an environmental problem of their own.

6. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    first thing first.....

design one that looks like some first year design moron didn't design it.......

7. MalibuMan

MalibuMan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That and make one powerful enough to pull my boat!

8. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    No shit, the Prius looks like it was designed by a sight challenged(blind), hand held vacuum designer.:lol::lol::lol:

9. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Cars should be electric, and trucks should be run on natural gas. T. Boone is right.

Screw the Arabs.

The Chinese are building electric cars that can be recharged to 75% in 10 minutes. The Israelis are developing a system of switching stations where batteries can be switched out, so the switching stations would operate like filling stations.

10. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    T. Boone Pickens isn't right, he's self-serving. He doesn't tell you that each wind turbine requires oil changes for the gearbox twice a year, and that's 4 barrels of oil a year for that, each. Multiply that times a million, and you got 4 million barrels of oil annually these things need. It's projected that for windfarms to make a dent in demand, there will need to be 4 million of them. That's 16 million barrels of oil needed annually for this "green" alternative.

This doesn't count the FIVE barrels of oil each one has in the transformer at its base. And also doesn't address the fact that these DO leak and sling oil. Great for the groundwater.

They try to sell you on Natural gas as "cheap" right now, or they at least make it appear so. When millions of trucks and other vehicles start using it, it won't be. And he and his buddies will be cleaning up like never before. Plus, if you think wrecks are dangerous now, wait until there's alot of compressed natural gas involved. And let's not tell the dirty little secret of both natural gas and ethanol, while they do burn "cleaner" if all you care about is CO2, they're 100 times worse at putting out the definitely poisonous and definite pollutant, CO (Carbon Monoxide) which is toxic to every living thing on the planet.
    The current US criteria for a sustainable, practical electric car calls for it to be able to go 300 miles between charges. As battery and control technology continues to advance, I can see this happening.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009