Education – The Future?

The gadgets we use cause certain areas of our brains to strengthen, and others to wane. In that sense, they are not merely tools.

Gadgets are not merely gadgets. They are also things that shape the very brain inside our skulls.

You just described tools. Congratulations.

There was a study a while back asking people to name the colors on the various national flags around the world. One group was given smartphones. The other group had to use memory to come up with the answers. Obviously, the people with the smartphones got more answers correct. ...

Needed a "study" for that, huh? Where was this study published? Your napkin at Denny's?

The brain is a forest. ...

Yours might be in need a a controlled burn. The underbrush is building up and hampering healthy growth.

The wilderness areas of my brain are preserved. I hope so, anyway. It's been my intention all along to preserve them, rather than convert my entire mindscape into a parking lot, condos and golf courses.

Sometimes I need a controlled burn. Usually though, plenty of wildfires are caused by lightening.

I'm writing all this here at USMB because I've soiled my napkin at Denny's with hash brown grease.

I have the impression that textbooks are quite expensive, possibly more expensive when comparing, say, a "loaded" i-Pad with a dozen text books.

It seems logical to me that the next phase of public education would evaluate every kid to see what kinds of teaching are most efficacious FOR THAT KID. Some kids learn by seeing and hearing, some may learn better doing computer games and exercises, some learn some other way. And of course a single kid might learn different subjects differently. With all the money we pour into public education, this doesn't seem like it's too difficult.

Forum List

Back