Eczema

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
My son has always suffered from eczema, very bad as a baby/little kid (until we took him off of milk and gluten for 4 years). Now he mainly gets it on his left wrist, side of his left forearm down to the elbow and on the outer part of his left knee. It just started showing up on the side of his left butt cheek too. I use cortisone and it helps tremendously but I have to be constantly checking him. He won't say anything until it's really bad and itchy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of bath soap he should use? He uses Oil of Olay bar soap but I'm wondering if there is a better choice. Google searches are not coming up with anything specific.

Maybe an oatmeal bath? Aveeno makes one. Good stuff. Helps with itching. I think they make an oatmeal-based soap, too.

Ooo, Aveno, I didn't think of them. An oatmeal based soap might help. And if I could get the kid to reduce the water temperature from 'scald my skin off' to merely 'really freakin' hot', it would help too. <sigh>

Maybe an oatmeal bath? Aveeno makes one. Good stuff. Helps with itching. I think they make an oatmeal-based soap, too.

Ooo, Aveno, I didn't think of them. An oatmeal based soap might help. And if I could get the kid to reduce the water temperature from 'scald my skin off' to merely 'really freakin' hot', it would help too. <sigh>
LOL. You could adjust the hot water heater temp to make the scald-my-skin-off temperature unavailable, too.

LOL. You could adjust the hot water heater temp to make the scald-my-skin-off temperature unavailable, too.

lol, true. I like it hot for the dishes and laundry, though.

Honest to God, even in summer he makes the water hot. :rolleyes:

a bath with baking soda helps with the itching....i have psorisis....my derm gave me a new cream that really helps...maybe ask the derm again what may help

i am sorry your son has this

Glycerin soap works well for sensitive or irritated skin. It lacks detergents so it doesn't dry the skin out.

My son has always suffered from eczema, very bad as a baby/little kid (until we took him off of milk and gluten for 4 years). Now he mainly gets it on his left wrist, side of his left forearm down to the elbow and on the outer part of his left knee. It just started showing up on the side of his left butt cheek too. I use cortisone and it helps tremendously but I have to be constantly checking him. He won't say anything until it's really bad and itchy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of bath soap he should use? He uses Oil of Olay bar soap but I'm wondering if there is a better choice. Google searches are not coming up with anything specific.

Dove bar soap, unscented
Get a prescription from the dermatologist for Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1%
Showers/baths luke warm

Personal experience

Dove bar soap, unscented
Showers/baths luke warm

Personal experience

Just got back from the store and bought Aveeno eczema creme and Aveeno body wash. Wasn't sure on the soap but I'll pick up the Dove unscented next time. I think he needs to use soap on the um, stinky parts cause those parts get stinky!

As soon as the weather starts to get cool it gets worse.. . . par for the course. :( Is it odd that it's only on his left side? When he was little it was really bad on the sides of his stomach. He was on prescription Elocon when he was little and that helped some, but once I took him off dairy, milk in particular, it all went away. He drinks milk at lunch now that he's back in school, but over the summer he didn't have any milk and the eczema remained. The youngest has a touch of it and the oldest has allergies and asthma. It's all the hubs fault! lol

Dove bar soap, unscented
Showers/baths luke warm

Personal experience

Just got back from the store and bought Aveeno eczema creme and Aveeno body wash. Wasn't sure on the soap but I'll pick up the Dove unscented next time. I think he needs to use soap on the um, stinky parts cause those parts get stinky!

As soon as the weather starts to get cool it gets worse.. . . par for the course. :( Is it odd that it's only on his left side? When he was little it was really bad on the sides of his stomach. He was on prescription Elocon when he was little and that helped some, but once I took him off dairy, milk in particular, it all went away. He drinks milk at lunch now that he's back in school, but over the summer he didn't have any milk and the eczema remained. The youngest has a touch of it and the oldest has allergies and asthma. It's all the hubs fault! lol

The topical medication I suggested not only gets rid of the itch, but it will get rid of the affected area, also. It's is a mild medication. I have had it for years, and it can be weird, like if I get it on one part of my arm or leg, it will usually end up in the same place on the other arm or leg.

Dove bar soap, unscented
Showers/baths luke warm

Personal experience

The topical medication I suggested not only gets rid of the itch, but it will get rid of the affected area, also. It's is a mild medication. I have had it for years, and it can be weird, like if I get it on one part of my arm or leg, it will usually end up in the same place on the other arm or leg.

I'm going to give the soaps/body wash/cremes a try. If they don't help I'll take him to the derm. OTC cortisone seems to really clear it up. Right now it's down to a dull roar so I'm hoping the body wash and creme help keep it at bay and he can just use the cortisone for flare ups.

I have it too.

The only stuff that works for me is a product called Glysolid.

Amlactin --you can get at most drug stores like Walgreens-- worked for awhile...Then it didn't anymore.

Glysolid At Great Prices ..:: FREE Glysolid Product With Purchase

Dove bar soap, unscented
Showers/baths luke warm

Personal experience

Zoom have you tried occlusion therapy! After his bath put dressing on everthing. I used to get it on my right little finger, palm and thumb. Moisturizers and occlusion therapy and otc cortisone cream is what worked for me. Good look on occluding a butt cheek though.

Last edited:
the hot water stos the itching ....it will itch under the hot water then stop for a while....

people dismiss skin problems as not serious...

the skin is the largest organ the body has

Skin care advice for parents of children with eczema...
icon17.gif

'Bath daily' advice for eczema children
Wed, 29 Jun 2016 - If your child has eczema it is fine to give them a dunk in the bath every day, as long as you apply lots of moisturiser to their skin afterwards, US experts say.
Some experts have said infrequent washing might be better because too much washing can dry out the skin. To try to settle the debate, the US team looked at the available medical evidence. They say while it's best to avoid too much soap, a daily soak is fine. UK experts agree, although they point out that there hasn't been a great deal of research in this area and more studies would be helpful. A proviso to the advice is to "smear" after you've gently pat dried, meaning slap on plenty of moisturising lotion after the bath to seal in the moisture. Bathing can remove surface dirt, irritants and allergens.

Applying specially-designed moisturiser immediately afterwards keeps the skin soft and moist, which will help avoid problems such as infections and dry, cracked skin, they explain in the journal Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. But Dr Ivan Cardona says parents should use their own judgement as well. If daily bathing doesn't appear to help their child's eczema, or they would rather not do it, they can switch to less frequent baths or showers. If their child's condition gets worse they should seek their doctor's advice.

_90139146_thinkstockphotos-475188066.jpg

Amena Warner of Allergy UK said the advice was sensible. But she said daily baths should only last for a maximum of about 10 minutes so as not to overdo it. "Once you get out of the bath pat yourself dry with a towel and moisturise instantly. This can help stop the itch and scratch cycle." Dr Carsten Flohr, an expert at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital and the Evelina London Children's Hospital, has been studying the effects of frequent bathing on skin barrier function. He said daily bathing or washing every other day was fine, but soap, bubble baths and shower gels could irritate the skin and make eczema worse in some people.

Soak and smear

* Use lukewarm water - it's more soothing than hot water, which can sting
* Avoid harsh soaps. Instead use "sparing" amounts of a pH balanced skin cleanser
* Do not scrub the skin clean, wash it gently
* Towel dry by gently patting
*Apply emollient immediately after this - emollients are not the same as cosmetic moisturisers and are designed to be used for skin conditions, such as eczema.

'Bath daily' advice for eczema children - BBC News

Something we discovered .... youngest (now 19) never had eczema until puberty then she started getting it. Also, acne was really bad. Went to a derm (I swear they are useless), who dx'd cleansers and such, low dose antibiotic for a couple of months. Nothing really changed. We did some research, the hormones in dairy (cows are lactating, hence milk, and hormones are high then plus any added in) was the culprit. Took a lot of trial/error and ah, several years of maturing and figuring out how to adult but her skin is soooo much better, as it the eczema. She watches her dairy intake carefully. Sure enough when she eats too much, acne and eczema flair up. Just passing the info along.

My niece has bad eczema from childhood to 24 years old. They went to several dermatologist tried lots of medications and ointments etc. but not much help.
After her graduation from Physician Assistant (RN) her parents sent her to Hawaii with her other sister as a gift. They stayed there for 24 days.
Surprisingly her eczema disappeared and dermatologist could not believed it. Approximately 12 days later after her vacation her eczema is back.
Because of that she moved to Hawaii at age 24 marry and started her own family and live happily after. Just sharing a story.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents on itch relief. I've volunteered building hiking trails for years and I'm very susceptible to poison ivy(but only if I'm in the same county with it). Years ago some one gave me a tube of Rhuli Anti Itch Gel. It has since been bought out (I guess) by Band Aid. Band Aid Anti Itch Gel. Best thing I've found in many years of poison ivy itching.

Forum List

Back