Economic policy in five words

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Flanders, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Flanders

Flanders ARCHCONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    All of the talk about the economy is the most boring con job in the current campaign season. I work hard to keep the details out of my head. Thank God I never gave Herman Cain’s economic plan an iota of space in my thinking. Does anyone who did dive into the details remember anything Cain proposed? Ditto the rest of them who came and went. The headlines on thousands of articles told me everything I needed to know.

Bottom line: When it comes to the economy do not be fooled into believing there is a difference between Republican economic plans and Democrat economic plans. For all of the economic plans put out by politicians in both parties the federal government’s economic policy can be summed up in five words: Wall Street must not crash. Every economic decision, every scheme to lower retail prices, every tax increase, every bailout, every stimulus package, every increase in the debt ceiling, ensures obedience to those five words.

2. DSGE

DSGE VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How is the government allowing Lehman Brothers to fail consistent with your hypothesis?

3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    when you try to pretend something complicated is simple it means your simple

4. Flanders

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    To DSGE: Because of all of the other bailouts. Bailing out auto companies traded on the stock market is far more telling than is letting one or two Wall Street firms go under. And did you ever ask yourself if Lehman Brothers was so corrupt that bailing it out was not an option? In short: The government decided it was better to amputate a finger than lose an arm. The Bush Administration said as much with “Another Great Depression” scare tactic. From their perspective they were right. In no way does Lehman Brothers discredit my hypothesis.

To Truthmatters: When you try to complicate something that is simple that makes you a liar, and probably a crook or a lawyer. Note that the law is deliberately complicated by lawyers in order to generate income for their profession. Also note that the proverbial “fine print” in contracts, in insurance policies, etc., was invented to complicate not clarify. A government-controlled economy is no different in that it complicates for the benefit of the ruling class. Does seeing it for what it is make anyone simple? Answer: No.

Denying the obvious identifies the deniers as fools.

5. DSGE

DSGE VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30

Ah no it's not. First off, auto companies aren't "Wall St", which is what your hypothesis is about. The entire motivation for the bailouts was the idea of systemic risk. That is, if one large bank goes under it'll cause more failures throughout the entire banking system. They bailed out Bear Sterns. They chose not to bail out Lehman, which was bigger than Bear. At the time it was the fourth biggest investment bank on Wall St. Lehman was allowed to go under and Wall St crashed. That contradicts your hypothesis.

Oh okay so we're adding conditions now? WALL ST MUST NOT CRASH (unless preventing so would involve bailing out a corrupt company). Five words have now become fifteen.

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Make up your mind OP, do you hate caplitalism or democracy?

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Cain is a quitter just like Palin.

He did do a good job of promoting sales of his book though.

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Neither one ever wanted high office.

They wanted high paychecks

9. Flanders

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,575

To DSGE: I am content to let those who might be following this thread decide for themselves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4&feature=player_detailpage]Porky Pig Cartoon Ending "That's All Folks!" - YouTube[/ame]

To Truthmatters: How clever of you. The loaded question!

For your edification see this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/210061-democracy-building.html

For your further edification. I love:

laissez faire also laisser faire (noun)

1. An economic doctrine that opposes governmental regulation of or interference in commerce beyond the minimum necessary for a free-enterprise system to operate according to its own economic laws.

2. Noninterference in the affairs of others.

10. DSGE

DSGE VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well they were always going to anyway. Does that stop you from addressing the contradiction to your hypothesis? :eusa_eh: