Easier to outline America’s myriad faults than engage with its triumphs.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Neither coronavirus, the election of Donald Trump, nor the January 6th Capitol riots were the source of this antagonism to 21st-century America, though they provided expedient justification for an otherwise ill-defined, impressionistic prejudice. This broad-stroke anti-Americanism is typified by disdain for the national character (they are brash and lack taste), the contours of its politics (they are susceptible, perhaps even prone, to fits of populism) and its cultural output (bland Hollywood is responsible for artistic atrophy).

This sneering at the United States – particularly potent in Britain but evident in Ireland and much of Europe too – is a modern phenomenon. Twentieth-century America was beloved and feared – celebrated as a bastion of democracy; a national experiment that sought to link its people not by ancient heritage but by civic belonging; a country far from flawless but still a lodestar for old Europe to aspire to. In fact, as Janan Ganesh pointed out in the Financial Times, plenty of countries have heeded the American example: boasting large migrant and naturalised migrant populations, with market economies and no-longer-relevant aristocracies. In short, Europe owes a lot to its weirdest ally.

Neither coronavirus, the election of Donald Trump, nor the January 6th Capitol riots were the source of this antagonism to 21st-century America, though they provided expedient justification for an otherwise ill-defined, impressionistic prejudice. This broad-stroke anti-Americanism is typified by disdain for the national character (they are brash and lack taste), the contours of its politics (they are susceptible, perhaps even prone, to fits of populism) and its cultural output (bland Hollywood is responsible for artistic atrophy).

This sneering at the United States – particularly potent in Britain but evident in Ireland and much of Europe too – is a modern phenomenon. Twentieth-century America was beloved and feared – celebrated as a bastion of democracy; a national experiment that sought to link its people not by ancient heritage but by civic belonging; a country far from flawless but still a lodestar for old Europe to aspire to. In fact, as Janan Ganesh pointed out in the Financial Times, plenty of countries have heeded the American example: boasting large migrant and naturalised migrant populations, with market economies and no-longer-relevant aristocracies. In short, Europe owes a lot to its weirdest ally.

I'm not going to read this because I don't care.

Screw 'em. I'm done with sniveling Europe and their opinions. Really (not aimed at you, just in general).

And I am FAR from alone.

Our allies (such as they now are) no longer trust us. Like many Americans across the political spectrum, this brash, arrogant ignorance that has gripped the country since Escalator Day is conjuring up a phrase that was used quite often many years ago: "The ugly American".

Those of us from across the political spectrum who are horrified at the arrogant ignorance has been exposed about America over these last seven years don't have an answer for them. We're still coming to terms with it ourselves. We really, truly, honestly thought America was better than this.

And now, even worse, conservative judge Michael Luttig makes a great but sad point about our standing: "Never again will the world be inspired by American democracy in the way that it has been since our founding almost 250 years ago." We have abdicated our role as world leader, for no good reason.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I'm not going to read this because I don't care.

Screw 'em. I'm done with sniveling Europe and their opinions. Really (not aimed at you, just in general).

And I am FAR from alone.

It’s not just about that. The Americans do it to themselves. The ones I meet here are almost apologetic in their exchanges with us.

And then there was the nauseating display on stage of Little Steven apologising to theaudience for what America “does”,during one of his overseas tours.

He is a member of Springsteen’s band, so that might explain some of it. And l do like his guitar playing. Sad.

Our allies (such as they now are) no longer trust us. Like many Americans across the political spectrum, this brash, arrogant ignorance that has gripped the country since Escalator Day is conjuring up a phrase that was used quite often many years ago: "The ugly American".

Those of us from across the political spectrum who are horrified at the arrogant ignorance has been exposed about America over these last seven years don't have an answer for them. We're still coming to terms with it ourselves. We really, truly, honestly thought America was better than this.

And now, even worse, conservative judge Michael Luttig makes a great but sad point about our standing: "Never again will the world be inspired by American democracy in the way that it has been since our founding almost 250 years ago."

Nice one, Mac. They hated us well before Trump. George Bush, anyone?

I would love to see the degeneration of your brain on an MRI. Cause: TDS. So sad.

It’s not just about that. The Americans do it to themselves. The ones I meet here are almost apologetic in their exchanges with us.

And then there was the nauseating display on stage of Little Steven apologising to theaudience for what America “does”,during one of his overseas tours.

He is a member of Springsteen’s band, so that might explain some of it. And l do like his guitar playing. Sad.

Those must be white liberals, upper middle class, college educated.

I'm in that category, but reject their borg like thinking. I would never apologize to Europeans for anything except not being a little harsher on Germany after the war. But that's just me I guess.

• Banned
Like many Americans across the political spectrum, this brash, arrogant ignorance that has gripped the country since Escalator Day is conjuring up a phrase that was used quite often many years ago: "The ugly American"

Not so.

The ones over here in Germany, and there are plenty of them, are almost subservient.

And now, even worse, conservative judge Michael Luttig makes a great but sad point about our standing: "Never again will the world be inspired by American democracy in the way that it has been since our founding almost 250 years ago." We have abdicated our role as world leader, for no good reason.
Yet, no one asks." why". The Middle Class was abandoned, poisons in their streets, industries shipped overseas, no Rule of Law as millions illegally enter your country.and work jobs under the table. Your response is that these people follow a Showman. They followed Obama too except he didnt deliver anything for them. The new generation don't care for their country as they view their futures as bleak and their once unique citizenship as accessible to others as an illegal trek across their border. This is the fault of short sighted Western leadership over decades. I just interpret what Im seeing from far away.and what I read in comments on social media.etc. 65% Of Americans don't like the direction thsir country is going in, you expect these people to trust/support the same Establishment politicians?

Last edited:
The Iraq War had caused an obvious, and predictable, dent in international goodwill.

And we didn't stop there.

Our allies (such as they now are) no longer trust us.
Lol. When did they? When you illegally invaded Iraq? When you laid waste to Vietnam? When you helped turn Libya into a collection of warring fiefdoms? When you liberated Grenada?

Forum List

Back