Earmarks banned in senate

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Earmark spending: Earmark spending ban ends political battle - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington — The long congressional battle over specially-directed earmark spending came to a quiet close Tuesday as the Democratic chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee announced a two-year ban on the practice.

The decision to prohibit earmarks reflects the political stalemate that arose as President Obama vowed to veto any legislation with the congressionally-directed spending. Republicans had already agreed to abandon the practice.

"The handwriting is clearly on the wall," said Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), the chairman of the powerful Senate Appropriations Committee. "The president has stated unequivocally that he will veto any legislation containing earmarks, and the House will not pass any bills that contain them. Given the reality before us, it makes no sense to accept earmark requests that have no chance of being enacted into law."

• Banned
its stand alone bills now folks.

You either support something or you dont.

The Rs are going to have a huge problem with this one.

If they spent as much time cutting actual spending as they do pointing fingers at who has the most earmarks, the deficit would be done with

Earmarks are small change. Go after Military, Social Security and Medicare ...thats where the money is

If they spent as much time cutting actual spending as they do pointing fingers at who has the most earmarks, the deficit would be done with

Earmarks are small change. Go after Military, Social Security and Medicare ...thats where the money is

I'd hardly say it was small potatoes

And you still shy away from things such as entitlement handouts when mentioning cuts... laughable, but typical

Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi who promised to reform earmarks prior to the '06 election?
Wasn't it the GOP victory that actually made it happen?

Democrats promise.
Republicans deliver.
There you have it.

And you still shy away from things such as entitlement handouts when mentioning cuts... laughable, but typical

Here ya go.......go at it

U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png

Earmarks are 1-2% of the total budget

Last edited:

And still it's not small potatoes... and still, no call for eliminating spending on entitlements to the entitlement junkies

I don't understand this logic. "Since it's only 1-2% why bother cutting it, just spend it (even though we don't have it)". 3.5 billion is small potatoes? Who knew. :rolleyes:

Does this mean Congress Critters get to vote on things like money being spent on tunnels for turtles to cross the road so they don't get run over by cars? This will make for some interesting reading. Imagine, during a political campaign some bozo calling out another bozo cause he didn't vote to spend money studying the sex behaviors of monkeys.:lol:

Does this mean Congress Critters get to vote on things like money being spent on tunnels for turtles to cross the road so they don't get run over by cars? This will make for some interesting reading. Imagine, during a political campaign some bozo calling out another bozo cause he didn't vote to spend money studying the sex behaviors of monkeys.:lol:

No...things like tunnels for turtles were not earmarks...they were actual articles in the stimulus law.

The party in power will find a way to make earmarks not look like earmarks.

This is just another game our congress is playing for image purposes.

So much of our defense psending and such is not earmarks?
Ie if a certain weapon is made in a certain state.
I recall something about buying military cargo planes the military did not even want.
Alabama or Georgia seemed to have been involved as I recall.

Earmark ban is absolutely nothing more than a public smoke and mirrors trick to produce to the gullible that "we are cutting spending".
YOu can remove 100% of earmarks and not only will gov't spending not decrease by one dime - it is likely t will increase.

I recall something about buying military cargo planes the military did not even want.

Thats where the real earmarks are along with military bases. Smart Defense Contractors spread the money around so that a little is spent in each state

Thats where the real earmarks are along with military bases. Smart Defense Contractors spread the money around so that a little is spent in each state

I watched bodies fall when people opted for death over pain from the heat of fire.
I dug in the pit looking for survivors for 3 days finding nothing but rebar and dust.
I saw first hand how vulnerable even the strongest nation can be in this world.

I turn to my government to protect my family as I can not do it alone. I need very little else from my government.

I do not have a problem with defense spending at all.

And still it's not small potatoes

Comparatively, it is. And I'm pretty sure that was his point, that there are much larger areas where more meaningful cuts can be made.

and still, no call for eliminating spending on entitlements to the entitlement junkies

This shows that nothing you say on the issue has any important meaning. You obviously have some kind of deep seeded hatred and bias on the matter. You probably know very little about how entitlements are spent, and no meaningful understanding on their effects on the economy as a whole.

And still it's not small potatoes

Comparatively, it is. And I'm pretty sure that was his point, that there are much larger areas where more meaningful cuts can be made.

and still, no call for eliminating spending on entitlements to the entitlement junkies

This shows that nothing you say on the issue has any important meaning. You obviously have some kind of deep seeded hatred and bias on the matter. You probably know very little about how entitlements are spent, and no meaningful understanding on their effects on the economy as a whole.

Actually, I believe your response shows how little you know or understand as it pertains to conservatism.

It is not rocket science that taking money from those that make money (taxes) and giving it to those that make less money will help the economy.

However, it does not mean that it is what is in the best interest of the country long term.

Conservatives believe the less you giove someone, the more drive they will have to get it themselves.

And the more drive each indvidual has, the more drive we have as a country.

We know the benefits of entitlements.

We just beleive there is a better way.

Forum List

Back