Dollar General store staff all quit at the same time leaving sign saying 'overworked and underpaid'

Exactly.

Raise the minimum wage to 15 dollars, and the employees will celebrate their next paycheck.

Then be able to buy only the same amount the next time they shop for food.

Meanwhile, the inflationary pressure of the minimum wage hike will reduce the purchasing power of people on fixed incomes like welfare and social security.

The left's inevitable solution? Another wage hike!
Wage hikes only equal higher prices .. and with a short-term gain of a "fair wage." ... Today's $15/hr will be equivalent to tomorrow's $20-$25/hr ... then it will be the "fair wage" conversation once again.

What is a "reasonable wage," and how would that impact the current pricing that many consumers rely on for their basic needs?
Enough money to pay for college, buy a used car, be able to afford a Big Mac Combo Meal.

Wage hikes only equal higher prices .. and with a short-term gain of a "fair wage." ... Today's $15/hr will be equivalent to tomorrow's $20-$25/hr ... then it will be the "fair wage" conversation once again.
The reason, for that is simply economics. People who are able to find a barcode on a product and hold over the counter scanner are not exactly possessors of a rare skill. They get paid what the market determines they will get paid in terms of real purchasing power, so long as it is in compliance with the artificial minimum wage.

Artificially raise their artificial minimum wage, and they get a very very temporary increase in purchasing power. It lasts about as long as it takes for the money market to react to this reduction in the value of the dollar.

So, I guess they will blow whatever gain they have in the celebratory party for their raises. The next time they want to pick up a few items at the Dollar General before they go home from work, they will be very surprised at the increase in prices. No doubt they will blame their greedy bosses.

The reason, for that is simply economics. People who are able to find a barcode on a product and hold over the counter scanner are not exactly possessors of a rare skill. They get paid what the market determines they will get paid in terms of real purchasing power, so long as it is in compliance with the artificial minimum wage.

Artificially raise their artificial minimum wage, and they get a very very temporary increase in purchasing power. It lasts about as long as it takes for the money market to react to this reduction in the value of the dollar.

So, I guess they will blow whatever gain they have in the celebratory party for their raises. The next time they want to pick up a few items at the Dollar General before they go home from work, they will be very surprised at the increase in prices. No doubt they will blame their greedy bosses.
It is never ending .. those making $20/hr for minimum wage today will inevitably complain it's not a living wage in 5 -10 years... especially with the record high inflation rates we've experienced. It's so democratically tactical instead of strategic, and the low-information voters continue to fall for it.

Why is it that Leftist have the delusion that all businesses have infinite cash resources and are selfishly holding back on compensation to their employees ???

Why is it that Leftist fail to grasp that private and common stock companies owe compensation to their stock holders/investors ???

Why is that Leftist fail to grasp that stocks and bonds, etc. of private, for-profit businesses is what pension funds, IRAs, and 401Ks, etc. are invested in, and growth of these retirement investment funds depend upon profitable operations and growth of what they invest in ???
How does your answer relate to the OP?

Evidently the wages they were paying were insufficient and the employees employed the concepts of capitalism, and left.

Then it will be the $10 Dollar General ... and the cyclical process that $20/hr isn't enough to support basic needs.
When I worked $2 an hour minimum wage in the 70s, I earned enough over the summer to pay for college and buy a used car
I could also afford a Big Mac and Fries

Why can’t you do that today?

Higher prices should result in higher wages

That is the way it has always worked

How long before they start writing about and admitting that millions have died and are dying from Killer Shot consequences ?

No wonder that businesses are short staffed and , for a variety of reasons, are finding it impossible to retain profitability .

This situation will continue to worsen until the true information dam bursts .
But by then it will be too late .

In the meantime, the short sighted will continue to waffle and the Deniers will only add nonsense to the fast approaching economic disaster .

When I worked $2 an hour minimum wage in the 70s, I earned enough over the summer to pay for college and buy a used car
I could also afford a Big Mac and Fries

Why can’t you do that today?
Compounding inflation and increases in providing more with a "living wage", removing concept progressive gains matched to increasing knowledge and skills.

Also the increase in type, variety, and costs of more consumer items such as laptop PCs and smart phones, etc. that were available in the 70s.

And also the drain in dollar value resulting from 40-50 years worth of Guv'mint Deficit and Debt that takes capital(money) out of private sector investment.

What a stupid, loaded question.

The reality is that peope WILL work these jobs. So join us in reality.
They choose to work these jobs .. no one is forced .. join the reality.

Why wouldn't any American working these jobs attempt to better themselves instead of settling for a piss-poor customer service type role? They have all the resources necessary to provide themselves with a much better outcome.

They choose to work these jobs .. no one is forced .. join the reality.

Why wouldn't any American working these jobs attempt to better themselves instead of settling for a piss-poor customer service type role? They have all the resources necessary to provide themselves with a much better outcome.

Or they will walk out en masse like in the OP

Compounding inflation and increases in providing more with a "living wage", removing concept progressive gains matched to increasing knowledge and skills.

Also the increase in type, variety, and costs of more consumer items such as laptop PCs and smart phones, etc. that were available in the 70s.

And also the drain in dollar value resulting from 40-50 years worth of Guv'mint Deficit and Debt that takes capital(money) out of private sector investment.

I dont think anyone is expecting a living wage for a minimum wage job. An apartment, utilities, a car, healthcare, enough to support a family.

But minimum wage should pay for basic necessities that low wage workers need…….college tuition, a car, gas, a room with someone else, a night out at the movies

I could buy those things when I worked minimum wage at $2.10 an hour.
You no longer can

So keep paying them higher wages so they'll end up making $30+ / hour? Brilliant. It's a never ending circle jerk using that brilliant strategy.
Why does the blame for high prices always go to those who make the least and struggle to survive?

Corporate America…..If we don’t have a low cost workforce, we cannot pay our exorbitant executive salaries

Good for them

The Public can survive without a Dollar General
I have one about a mile from my house but have never been in there
I like the idea of a mass walkout rather than individuals making a decision to “Take this job and shove it”

Only way to get management to change is to hurt the bottom line
The only way for small business to survive is to stop raising the minimum wage to ridiculous levels.

Forum List

Back