Doesn't It Bother You That Obama Is Trying To Gain Access To Private Emails?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
The Obama Administration wants the right to spy on our private thoughts. He's using terrorism as an excuse but at this moment he's trying to get the right to access your Blackberry and your emails.
The Obama administration will seek a new federal law forcing Internet e-mail, instant-messaging, and other communication providers offering encryption to build in backdoors for law enforcement surveillance, The New York Times reported today.

Communication providers, apparently including companies that offer voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services, would be compelled to reconfigure their systems so that police could be guaranteed access to descrambled information.

It could become illegal for a company to offer completely secure encrypted communications--through a protocol such as ZRTP, for instance--if its customers held the keys and the provider did not.

Valerie Caproni, the FBI's general counsel, stressed to the Times that agents would still need a court order to force providers to unlock encrypted data. "We're talking about lawfully authorized intercepts," Caproni said. "We're not talking expanding authority. We're talking about preserving our ability to execute our existing authority in order to protect the public safety and national security."

Read more: Report: Feds to push for Net encryption backdoors | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

I remember when all hell broke loose when the NSA was caught data-mining. Now the White House wants the right to intercept and read our emails and text messages. Is this something you feel comfortable with? He already has the right to disconnect the internet in what he calls an emergency. Now he wants to be able to spy on whomever he chooses.

Google backs Yahoo in privacy fight with DOJ | Politics and Law - CNET News

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News
http://cdt.org/security/CYBERSEC4.pdf

At one time the DOJ had abandoned trying to invade our privacy but as has happened with anything else they've wanted they are now attempting to get it through other avenues. DOJ abandons warrantless attempt to read Yahoo e-mail | Politics and Law - CNET News

First, Obama's a fucking Nazi

Second, he's full of shit because the government already has access to all out email's IM's and everything else once you access the Internet.

Third, Obama's a fucking Nazi

Sickening and unfortunately not shocking. BIG Daddy Gubment wanting in our bizniss again.

The government wants more freedom! Awsome.

If these companies are forced to build a "back door" so to speak, would that not give hackers an avenue to get in there also?

It's the same as a wire tap. with the same requirements.

much ado about nothing.

Says one who does not appreciate privacy and freedom I presume?

Not even close.

I don't give 2 turds in a toilet about big 0.

but this is just paranoid ranting.

It's only about giving the gov the chance to tap into criminals emails. nothing more.

It's the same as a wire tap. with the same requirements.

much ado about nothing.

Says one who does not appreciate privacy and freedom I presume?

I guess you don't understand the wiretap laws and the legal proof of need law enforcement must show to secure a warrant.
Is there the possibility of misuse? Oh course but that is true in all aspects of government. The punishment for such abuse is fairly dire if one is caught. We're in the 21st century, law enforcement is simply trying to keep abreast withing the framework of existing law.

I'm gonna bbm everyone with 'Obama is an asshole', just for the crack of it. How fun would it be for the LEOs to trawl through millions of bbm's saying just 'Obama is an asshole'. LOL

Second, he's full of shit because the government already has access to all out email's IM's and everything else once you access the Internet.

Oh shut up already loonie bird, Obama is not a Nazi.

No, he wants your email because its for the children, right?

But according to you, the government already has access, so what's the problem?

Why would he want YOUR emails? I'm sure they're just as hilarious as your posts.

Unicorn-unicorns-7144016-465-359.gif

Better we should all just keep our Care Bears next to our PCs and hope Tinkerbelle keeps the mean old terrorists off Skype.

Yes. It is quite egregious.

The back doors that technology companies would be required to provide to enable decryption and access make our entire electronic communications system wide open to cyber-terrorism (as well as the inevitable abuse of power by out of control government).

If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear. I said it when Bush passed the Patriot Act (and all the libturds had a coniption fit over that) and I'll say it now.

If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear. I said it when Bush passed the Patriot Act (and all the libturds had a coniption fit over that) and I'll say it now.

That's the issue. It's how technology will have to be made "vulnerable" in order to allow for decryption and access. It's a hacker's dream scenario.

Get ready for much more ID theft on an individual level - and major cyber attacks on our financial system.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This is not akin to the Patriot Act. There is no expansion of government powers. Instead, the government -- in 2010! -- has awoken to the fact that some terrorists might not rely on landlines to communicate. I'm pissed to know they haven't been watching these new technologies before this, but better late than never.

But according to you, the government already has access, so what's the problem?

Homeland Security has had access to emails and everything else posted on the Internet since the agency was first formed following the attacks of 911. They use datamining apparatus that uses a collection of buzzwords which attaches a red flag to potentially harmful national security material. Way back when I was a member of AOL, there was a caveat in their "member agreement" under "privacy" which said basically that "...nothing herein shall prevent the Department of Homeland Security from obtaining access to private accounts..."

So I guess the folks with their panties in a wad over this should continue to be alert to black helicopters overhead. It ain't nuthin' new.

That's the issue. It's how technology will have to be made "vulnerable" in order to allow for decryption and access. It's a hacker's dream scenario.

Get ready for much more ID theft on an individual level - and major cyber attacks on our financial system.

I did see this very serious criticism, boedicca, and I'll admit, I don't understand it. I still say, not listening cannot be the solution...time for some good old American ingenuity, me thinks.

Forum List

Back