Doesn't It Bother You That Obama Is Trying To Gain Access To Private Emails?

Not even close.

I don't give 2 turds in a toilet about big 0.

but this is just paranoid ranting.

It's only about giving the gov the chance to tap into criminals emails. nothing more.

Criminals, as classified by the government. The problem I have with this kind of thing is that it opens the door to abuse. Remember how all hell broke loose earlier this year because the DHS sent out a memo saying that law enforcement needed to be leery of "extremist" groups like the Tea Party? What if the current government suddenly decided they were a threat to the government or were enemies of the state and abused this law to begin dipping into their private communications simply because they didn't like their political agenda? It could be used as a tool to intimidate political opposition. Conversely, a Republican administration could abuse it in the same manner towards anti-war protesters or unions.

Our privacy rights have been eroding away rather quickly since 9-11 by both Republicans and Democrats in the name of security. We are headed in the direction of a police state. It may take a while to get all the way there, but make no mistake about it. That's where we're going.

It's the same as a wire tap. with the same requirements.

much ado about nothing.

I would love to print up all of the screams from Libs here when Bush got caught Data-mining communications leaving this country.

Obama wants to set it up so a judge can get a request on his blackberry for a search on anyone. The level needed to get a warrant....if you want to call it a warrant....will be so low that just about any request will be granted within minutes and because this guy is untrustworthy I suspect he's gonna be reading love letters of political enemies and using it against them in elections.

much ado about nothing.

I would love to print up all of the screams from Libs here when Bush got caught Data-mining communications leaving this country.

Obama wants to set it up so a judge can get a request on his blackberry for a search on anyone. The level needed to get a warrant....if you want to call it a warrant....will be so low that just about any request will be granted within minutes and because this guy is untrustworthy I suspect he's gonna be reading love letters of political enemies and using it against them in elections.

No, mudwhistle. No law enforcement agency can get a subpoena from a judge off a text message to the judge's blackberry...there has to be a signed, written affidavit of probable cause. The change in law concerns the subpoena power over the text messages of investigated persons, not the manner of seeking investigative power from judges.

Yes. It is quite egregious.

The back doors that technology companies would be required to provide to enable decryption and access make our entire electronic communications system wide open to cyber-terrorism (as well as the inevitable abuse of power by out of control government).

I think you are right

How many rights or just plain civil liberties are some of you willing to give up in order to acheive American foreign policy goals and slowly erase your cultural identity? Just curious.

much ado about nothing.

No, mudwhistle. No law enforcement agency can get a subpoena from a judge off a text message to the judge's blackberry...there has to be a signed, written affidavit of probable cause. The change in law concerns the subpoena power over the text messages of investigated persons, not the manner of seeking investigative power from judges.

I know that. That is the way the law is now. But what Obama's DOJ wants is to be able to get in touch with a judge 24/7 and get a warrant.

Don't you give a fuck that they're gonna be reading text mgs of anyone they feel warrants investigation? That's a long list. Tea Party members, returning Iraq war vets, anyone who votes GOP or shows the tendency to do so? I mean...the guy says Fox News is destructive to America. What does that mean? Does he consider them a security risk?

Everyone admits there is the potential for abuse. That is a major understatement.

Last edited:

I know that. That is the way the law is now. But what Obama's DOJ wants is to be able to get in touch with a judge 24/7 and get a warrant.

Don't you give a fuck that they're gonna be reading text mgs of anyone they feel warrants investigation? That's a long list. Tea Party members, returning Iraq war vets, anyone who votes GOP or shows the tendency to do so? I mean...the guy says Fox News is destructive to America. What does that mean? Does he consider them a security risk?

Everyone admits there is the potential for abuse. That is a major understatement.

Yes, it is troubling. But mudwhistle, the potential to abuse power has always been there...all that has changed it the real life ability to monitor 'net based communications. We cannot afford to ignore them.

What else was there to do?

How many rights or just plain civil liberties are some of you willing to give up in order to acheive American foreign policy goals and slowly erase your cultural identity? Just curious.

Your solution is that the CIA should pretend the 'net does not exist?

I think this involves the FBI not the CIA.

I wonder why you feel that if Bush was in the White House he wanted to invade your privacy but now that some radical revolutionary asshole and his communist cronies want to spy on us you have no friggen problem with that. I would be willing to bet you were one of those bitching about the NSA story.

You're really losing credibility on this. I wouldn't accept this from anyone much less Obama.

The danger in this is Obama right now can't destroy the lives of your average person because he doesn't know who they are.....he has to go after the ones that surface and embarrass him in public. Once he gets the right to read our private thoughts and our exchanges with our friends he can track us down and be at our door in short order and nobody else will even know it's happening.

Last edited:

I wonder why you feel that if Bush was in the White House he wanted to invade your privacy but now that some radical revolutionary asshole and his communist cronies want to spy on us you have no friggen problem with that. I would be willing to bet you were one of those bitching about the NSA story.

You're really losing credibility on this. I wouldn't accept this from anyone much less Obama.

I did whine about the Patriot Act, you are right. I wasn't on USMB then, though. I was less than thrilled when Obama made no move to repeal any provision of it. I have no idea what "the NSA story" might be.

I still don't hear you proposing any solutiuons, mudwhistle. How does the CIA/FBA/whatnot monitor communications on the 'net without this new law?

Yes, it is troubling. But mudwhistle, the potential to abuse power has always been there...all that has changed it the real life ability to monitor 'net based communications. We cannot afford to ignore them.

What else was there to do?

I think now is not the time to grant this power.

Obama has communists running things in his Administration....people that are less the scrupulous. I don't think trusting this guy is wise.

There are other ways to spy on folks....he doesn't need the power to spy on all of us under any circumstance he deems fit.

I did whine about the Patriot Act, you are right. I wasn't on USMB then, though. I was less than thrilled when Obama made no move to repeal any provision of it. I have no idea what "the NSA story" might be.

I still don't hear you proposing any solutiuons, mudwhistle. How does the CIA/FBA/whatnot monitor communications on the 'net without this new law?

There was a major flap about the NSA a few years ago. Maybe you need to Google it.

The solutions are already in place. That is why they keep catching these idiot domestic terrorists in the planning stage. They give them a fake bomb and bust them when they plant it.

This is not a solution. This is an invasion of privacy. Obama is sneaking around trying to get these powers. Usually he proclaims something is a crisis and then he slams us with massive regulations labeled to be reform measures. This time he's sneaking around trying to do it on the sly. If you knew the kind of people he has working for him and the people he seems to want to associate with you'd never even consider this. He's personally not the greatest risk. It's the rotten people that will be implementing this that I worry about.

Last edited:
this isn't something new. the government has been doing it for ages. bush did it now obama is doing.

quite frankly if the government want to read my emails then so be it. i dont have anything to hide. although they may get bored of reading my email subscriptions from south beach and apple.com

Forum List

Back