Does Your New Vehicle Have a Spare Tire?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Better check.

Tire-660x438.jpg

Seems there may not be one there any more.

Automakers Are Sacrificing the Spare Tire for Fuel Economy @ Not great news: More than a third of new cars now come without a spare tire

agree , I'd also get a spare . Can't see buying a new car that doesn't have a spare . ---------- next time I buy tires I'm buying 'run flat' tires . My little car has a spare but its one of the small emergency type spares .

AGREE , course when you end up with a flat its nice to have a full size spare especially if you are in the weeds , sticks or desert , woods .

Uncle Ferd says dey'll prob'ly...

... offer ya one o' dem donut spares...

... at the price of a regular tire...

... an' den pat ya onna back...

... an' tell ya what a shrewd buyer ya are.

AGREE , course when you end up with a flat its nice to have a full size spare especially if you are in the weeds , sticks or desert , woods .
bottle of fix-a-flat and a 12v compressor go a long way.

seriously, unless you hit something and destroy the sidewall there's no real reason to have a spare.

and i'll go one further - for those who have one, when is the last time you checked the pressure on it?

bottle of fix-a-flat and a 12v compressor go a long way.

seriously, unless you hit something and destroy the sidewall there's no real reason to have a spare.

and i'll go one further - for those who have one, when is the last time you checked the pressure on it?

The problem with fix--a-flat is that they corrode your rims.

Wife's '13 CR-V has a spare, stored under the cargo area in back. Never used.

I had a blowout a few months ago in my Ridgeline (the first flat in many years), and would have been seriously inconvenienced if I had not had a spare tire.

I would just say, I think my triple-A membership (or any national auto club membership) is probably good enough protection, given how rare flats are these days. A "real" spare tire takes up one hell of a lot of space.

I never buy tires without at least pricing the tires available at tirerack-dot-com. In fact, I've never found any tires cheaper, and the only issue I've ever had was one shop over-inflated the tires when they installed them - I guess because they were irritated I didn't buy them at the shop. But now they even suggest where you can take the tires locally to get them installed at a reasonable price.

Why shop anywhere else?

Because they do not sell the truck tires I used, and I can get better prices on car tires locally. (Local tire shop matches online prices.) Last set for my F-350 was $130 each, shipped. The tires for my Cherokee were about $95 each. Tire Rack doesn't even offer the tires my wife uses on her Grand National. (They do not sell that brand.)

My first new car bought 39 years ago didn't come with a spare. I purchased a new car during the 1976 United Rubber Workers strike against the auto makers. To extend their stock of tires and keep car sales rolling the auto companies supplied buyers with IOU's for spares. Dealer sent me a notice in mail about 3 months later that my tire was available.

My car is not new, but it got me to thinking about where the hell my spare was. I didn't remember seeing it when I gutted the van and made it into my hippie van. So I went out and checked underneath. Yep. There it is...under the back bumper beneath the car itself.
Whew!

Almost two years ago, my wife and I were out and about,when our car got a flat tire.

We pulled over, and swapped in the spare, one of those ridiculous undersized spare tires, probably as old as the car (about 17 years at the time).

In less than a mile, the spare rather spectacularly failed.

CSC_8121z2k.JPG

Not long later, we visited a junkyard, where we found a full-sized wheel, matching those that the car already had, and had a new tire installed on it, as a spare. I suppose I should probably check it, once in a while, to make sure it is still properly inflated.

Forum List

Back