• No.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
You wnt to learn to write as in short stories novels etc? The first step is to start reading. That's not my idea either, that comes from Dean Koontz. And write, jot down ideas and then think about how it would work out and how best to say it. If you know nothing about grammar learn something quickly. If your grammar isn't at least decent you'll never get an editor or much of anyone else in the publishing biz to read it. And obviously if they don't read it it won't get published. This place isn't the best place to practice because most of us here give grammar and spelling a pass unless you really piss us off.

You've got to hook them within the first two paragraphs if you are a newby. Publishing is a business if you don't have name rec, you aren't going to get a lot of lee way generally.

Does reading USMB 'count' as reading?

I say it does.

Just like in most novels out there, here you see the good the bad and the ugly.

Shame the (insert your anti-deity here) and tell the truth, I'll admit to adding my 2 cents to each category.

-Joe

Last edited:
I consider anything that requires a degree of concentration, reading. I don't think reading USMB posts count. Although I have to say some people's posts based on good research are highly elucidating.

You can only read a specific book so many times before it's no longer interested, and most people don't enjoy every single book out there (I only read three authors and a few unknown ones). The internet is one huge, never ending, always changing, living novel. Hell, one could get more sci-fi, fantasy, drama, and comedy online than anywhere else. So yeah, anything on the web is considered reading.

You can only read a specific book so many times before it's no longer interested, and most people don't enjoy every single book out there (I only read three authors and a few unknown ones). The internet is one huge, never ending, always changing, living novel. Hell, one could get more sci-fi, fantasy, drama, and comedy online than anywhere else. So yeah, anything on the web is considered reading.

I LIKE the way you're thinking!

-Joe

I'm not a "reading snob."

I'll read anything, even the boring newsletter my condo ass. sends out! :eek:

I have learned all kinds of things on here from other posters, be it silly stuff like funny names for body parts, to how corrupt this world can be.

This place is as entertaining as a lot of things people read, it has a lot of chapters of various subjects, and characters that either piss you off or you start to care for!

I'm not a "reading snob."

I'll read anything, even the boring newsletter my condo ass. sends out! :eek:

I have learned all kinds of things on here from other posters, be it silly stuff like funny names for body parts, to how corrupt this world can be.

This place is as entertaining as a lot of things people read, it has a lot of chapters of various subjects, and characters that either piss you off or you start to care for!

As long as you never stoop to reading the boring ass letter your condo sends out. :lol:

-Joe

I'll take the title of reading snob, gladly.. There's some people's crap here I just won't waste my time on. When the only response you have (continuously) for something that someone posts is "Seriously?", you learn to stop reading, and start bypassing. For starters, about 100% of the Conspiracy Theory forums. :cool:

I'll take the title of reading snob, gladly.. There's some people's crap here I just won't waste my time on. When the only response you have (continuously) for something that someone posts is "Seriously?", you learn to stop reading, and start bypassing. For starters, about 100% of the Conspiracy Theory forums. :cool:

We have a Conspiracy Theory Forum?!?

:eusa_think:

Cool!

-Joe

We have a Conspiracy Theory Forum?!?

:eusa_think:

Cool!

-Joe

Snob! ;)

Considering how bad the grammar and spelling is here at times I'm not entirely sure it would count.

The main reason you read other works is to learn something of writing styles which helps over time with developing your own. Hit your local library too. I suspect it likely has a few dozen books on the subject not a few of which may contian valuable tips as to where you can go to get published and minimum acceptable words etc for a given publisher.

Are you kidding----the USMB crowd knows everything about anything. What else you could possibly read that hasn't been said here ? Anyone who doesn't read it is getting dumber by the moment and isn't having nearly as much fun. I shocked I tell ya! :lol:

Dang Dis, you're missing out not reading the CT Forums!

Without reading them, how else are you going to know that 9/11 was an inside job, there really were no men on the moon, aliens and humans have been mixing their genes since B.C., Prince William is really the anti-Christ, The Rockefellers are the head of the Illuminati, and under the Denver Airport the Masons meet to plan to take over the World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without reading them, how else are you going to know that 9/11 was an inside job, there really were no men on the moon, aliens and humans have been mixing their genes since B.C., Prince William is really the anti-Christ, The Rockefellers are the head of the Illuminati, and under the Denver Airport the Masons meet to plan to take over the World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh GREAT----now you blew the ending for me !!:evil:

Considering how bad the grammar and spelling is here at times I'm not entirely sure it would count.

The main reason you read other works is to learn something of writing styles which helps over time with developing your own. Hit your local library too. I suspect it likely has a few dozen books on the subject not a few of which may contian valuable tips as to where you can go to get published and minimum acceptable words etc for a given publisher.

Sometimes the best lessons are negative lessons - as in what not to do.

-Joe

oh GREAT----now you blew the ending for me !!:evil:

The Mean Old USMB Software said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dilloduck again.

Bummer, Dude!

:popcorn:

-Joe

Eh? Eots brings the "common knowledge" to every thread outside the CT forum. :D

Forum List

Back