Does anyone invest in Bitcoin?

Bitcoin blew up again, now well over 5k. Ethereum also climbing, trading at 330 right now.

In the meantime it seems the world is waking up to blockchain

'We are about to see massive disruptions': IMF chief on digital currency future

"We are about to see massive disruptions': IMF's Lagarde says it's time to get serious about digital currency"

Well, no shit, Sherlock. Lol.

"It's time for the world's central banks and regulators to get serious about digital currencies, according to the head of the International Monetary Fund.

Global financial institutions are taking risks by not watching and understanding emerging financial tech products that are already starting to shake up the financial services and global payments system, according to IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde.

"I think that we are about to see massive disruptions," Lagarde told CNBC in a Facebook Live interview on the sidelines of the IMF Annual Meetings in Washington D.C.

Asked whether she agreed with JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon'scomments that bitcoin is a "fraud," Lagarde said it's important to look at the broader implications of technologies like digital currencies.

"I think we should just be aware of not categorizing anything that has to do with digital currencies in those speculation, ponzi-like schemes," she said. "It's a lot more than that as well."

This is an important post.

I notice you ignored this post, which is very important.. . .

Invest in land.

Bitcoin can evaporate if someone turns off the electricity.

See, the thing is, when you follow global politics, the IMF, the BIS, etc., you understand, that THESE are the folks that run the world.

Do you know what the petro-dollar is? These folks that meet at Davos, these are the puppets that formed the global economy at Bretton Woods after WWII, that meet at Bilderburg, etc., the "masters of the universe," as it were, they have a plan, and cryptos were never a part of it for them. These exchange systems allow way to much freedom for the average person, they do away with the need for rulers, institutions and governments.

AGW is NOT about global warming, it is about control of energy, resources, food, etc. Cryptos rely on energy, as does the information economy. If AGW were real, as real as they want the world to think it is, they would have gotten rid of the petro-dollar long ago.

This should give you an indication of how much of a real threat Cryptos are to Agenda 21, and what a long term risk they are to your personal portfolio. The global governments WILL either take control of cryptos, or pull they will pull the plug eventually, count on it. If they have started wars in every nation to take control of their banking systems, what makes you think they will not pull the plug on these if they become a threat to the established monetary order?

Seriously?

22449609_505295926505870_8303107209407837586_n.jpg

Satoshi Nakamoto on the matter

"It would have been nice to get this attention in any other context. WikiLeaks has kicked the hornet's nest, and the swarm is headed towards us."

One of his last posts before disappearing.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.msg29280...

I did ignore that post on the electricity, but only because I found it to be non-serious and intentionally so. In other words I thought the poster was just screwing around.

It is also wrong. It is a decentralized, global network with just under 10,000 nodes running. Nobody and nothing can just "turn off the electricity" unless they want to shut down the entire power grid of the planet and shut down the satellites that are now running nodes as well.

They can make it illegal and maybe they will try to do just that, which would be more on point to the actual discussion you seem to be forwarding.

Thing is, people have been saying this for quite a long time. Could it happen? Sure. Lots of things can happen, and people like Dimon at Chase are definitely going to give it a shot, which I have no doubt about, for the simple reason that it very definitely poses a threat to their absolute control of the system, so I don't actually disagree with you there. Those bastards will "lobby" their congresspeople to the best of their ability I have no doubt.

will they be successful. I don't know. what I do know is that they've been kicking it in the balls since Day 1 and the market is growing, uses are growing, adoption is growing, regulation is forming around it, but nothing to this point indicates a movement to make it illegal.

I'll hold my stuff for now, but I don't ignore the actions of the powers that be either, as I do obviously recognize the threat they pose with respect to these assets and their value.

Uh huh?

Barter your bit coin for food. The transaction requires that the guy who grew the crop has a bit coin account,

We have a binder full of morons.

Totally incorrect, of course. There are now debit cards that can be swiped like any other card, backed by bitcoin or other cryptos, with no difference on the front end whatsoever.

If that doesn't work for you they can be sold instantly to cash as easily as any other liquid asset, such as a stock or cd or whatever, wth that cash then transferred directly into your bank account as would be the case if you sold a stock or anything else.

Btc is up 700+% just this year. Ethereum is up more like 2-3000%.

Laugh at us "morons" all you like. We're laughing all the way to the bank. Lol.

Bitcoin blew up again, now well over 5k. Ethereum also climbing, trading at 330 right now.

"We are about to see massive disruptions': IMF's Lagarde says it's time to get serious about digital currency"

"It's time for the world's central banks and regulators to get serious about digital currencies, according to the head of the International Monetary Fund.

Global financial institutions are taking risks by not watching and understanding emerging financial tech products that are already starting to shake up the financial services and global payments system, according to IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde.

"I think that we are about to see massive disruptions," Lagarde told CNBC in a Facebook Live interview on the sidelines of the IMF Annual Meetings in Washington D.C.

Asked whether she agreed with JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon'scomments that bitcoin is a "fraud," Lagarde said it's important to look at the broader implications of technologies like digital currencies.

"I think we should just be aware of not categorizing anything that has to do with digital currencies in those speculation, ponzi-like schemes," she said. "It's a lot more than that as well."

Invest in land.

See, the thing is, when you follow global politics, the IMF, the BIS, etc., you understand, that THESE are the folks that run the world.

Do you know what the petro-dollar is? These folks that meet at Davos, these are the puppets that formed the global economy at Bretton Woods after WWII, that meet at Bilderburg, etc., the "masters of the universe," as it were, they have a plan, and cryptos were never a part of it for them. These exchange systems allow way to much freedom for the average person, they do away with the need for rulers, institutions and governments.

AGW is NOT about global warming, it is about control of energy, resources, food, etc. Cryptos rely on energy, as does the information economy. If AGW were real, as real as they want the world to think it is, they would have gotten rid of the petro-dollar long ago.

This should give you an indication of how much of a real threat Cryptos are to Agenda 21, and what a long term risk they are to your personal portfolio. The global governments WILL either take control of cryptos, or pull they will pull the plug eventually, count on it. If they have started wars in every nation to take control of their banking systems, what makes you think they will not pull the plug on these if they become a threat to the established monetary order?

Seriously?

"It would have been nice to get this attention in any other context. WikiLeaks has kicked the hornet's nest, and the swarm is headed towards us."

I did ignore that post on the electricity, but only because I found it to be non-serious and intentionally so. In other words I thought the poster was just screwing around.

It is also wrong. It is a decentralized, global network with just under 10,000 nodes running. Nobody and nothing can just "turn off the electricity" unless they want to shut down the entire power grid of the planet and shut down the satellites that are now running nodes as well.

They can make it illegal and maybe they will try to do just that, which would be more on point to the actual discussion you seem to be forwarding.

Thing is, people have been saying this for quite a long time. Could it happen? Sure. Lots of things can happen, and people like Dimon at Chase are definitely going to give it a shot, which I have no doubt about, for the simple reason that it very definitely poses a threat to their absolute control of the system, so I don't actually disagree with you there. Those bastards will "lobby" their congresspeople to the best of their ability I have no doubt.

will they be successful. I don't know. what I do know is that they've been kicking it in the balls since Day 1 and the market is growing, uses are growing, adoption is growing, regulation is forming around it, but nothing to this point indicates a movement to make it illegal.

I'll hold my stuff for now, but I don't ignore the actions of the powers that be either, as I do obviously recognize the threat they pose with respect to these assets and their value.

Uh huh?

Barter your bit coin for food. The transaction requires that the guy who grew the crop has a bit coin account,

Useful currencies have a relatively stable value.
Nobody wants to use one that has massive changes in value.
The crash is gonna be ugly.

The key word is 'useful'.

A roll of toilet paper in Venezuela will buy much much more than a million dollars of bitcoin.

Wrong again.

In Venezuela specifically people are turning to bitcoin and ethereum to deal with their hyperinflation

Big in Venezuela: Bitcoin Mining

CME announces launch of Bitcoin futures trading

CME Group Announces Launch of Bitcoin Futures

Tue Oct 31 2017
CHICAGO, Oct. 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- CME Group, the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today announced it intends to launch bitcoin futures in the fourth quarter of 2017, pending all relevant regulatory review periods.

The new contract will be cash-settled, based on the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate (BRR) which serves as a once-a-day reference rate of the U.S. dollar price of bitcoin. Bitcoin futures will be listed on and subject to the rules of CME.

"Given increasing client interest in the evolving cryptocurrency markets, we have decided to introduce a bitcoin futures contract," said Terry Duffy, CME Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "As the world's largest regulated FX marketplace, CME Group is the natural home for this new vehicle that will provide investors with transparency, price discovery and risk transfer capabilities."

price up on the news, of course.....6300 and rising....

Bitcoin sailed up past 7K yesterday, now trading just a bit under.

It is pulling money from other coins right now on the CME news and an impending fork on Nov 11ish, so prices across the market are falling as traders jump into bitcoin.

IMO, these other coins are trading low right now and some money likely comes back after the fork, although the CME news is a larger issue and may see a broader market shift of money in his space to Bitcoin. hard to say what will happen, of course, although I will likely sit for now and open longs on the others as the fork approaches as I do think we may see a further drawdown on those which will correct back up after the fork....YMMV, of course.

But yeah, 7K. I thought we'd be looking great @ 3K by years end, then a couple of months ago 5K seemed like a nice target. The CME news blew the lid right off of everything though, as here comes the institutional money......

I've been following the Bitcoins ever since they cost $0.1 :) Since they cost $1, I'm constantly biting my elbows :D

In 2014 I mined and trading 0.25BTC, but it was stolen, when the Cryptsy Exchange was hacked :)

yeah, I've been involved since maybe 2011ish. Mined them with ASIC miners when those came out. Now I just trade.

I remember cryptsy. Big Vern or something or other if I remember correctly.

Thankfully I never used cryptsy or Gox, so I avoided those meltdowns. I did get scammed once by an ASIC miner manufacturer, which cost me at the time like 4K or so. They delivered almost 2 years late and the thing worked for like a week before it totally crapped out and the bastards wouldn't do anything whatsoever to support it. That's my only really bad experience in BTC, although I know a lot of people have gotten burned along the way by various scammers- and they're out in force now, that's for sure.

I invested in gold and silver. Held it for several years and lost about fifteen percent. I do like to occasionally take the coins out to look at them, but they have proven to be a bad investment for me.Now my extra money goes into cryptocurrency. In one year I made 7 times my investment in bitcoin. I made 25 times my investment in Ethereum. Investing in cryptocurrency was the best decision I ever made. I encourage everyone to get into cryptocurrency. Open an account at coin base. Buy btc, eth, ltc.
`
I don't necessarily collect tangible gold as a profitable investment. In the absence of technology, gold is a tradeable and universally accepted commodity.

`
`

I invest in gold. Tangible gold. Gold I have immediate access to.
I invested in gold and silver. Held it for several years and lost about fifteen percent. I do like to occasionally take the coins out to look at them, but they have proven to be a bad investment for me.
Now my extra money goes into cryptocurrency. In one year I made 7 times my investment in bitcoin. I made 25 times my investment in Ethereum. Investing in cryptocurrency was the best decision I ever made. I encourage everyone to get into cryptocurrency. Open an account at coin base. Buy btc, eth, ltc.

Yeah, precious metals are not doing well.

Lack of volatility is one reason cited by investors for wanting options for investing in cryptos on the broader markets. If stuff isn't moving, money isn't being made, so crypto is attractive to some investors.

While crypto can be extremely volatile, the ROI for me has been great. It isn't for everyone, which I'm we'll aware of, so everyone has to make their own decisions, obviously, but I think this market is just going mainstream and has a lot of room for growth.

Beyond just the investment element, however, this is interesting stuff that is going to be reshaping our world in many ways. Having some skin in the game keeps me plugged in, curious about developments and prods me to stay informed as all of this develops. that in itself is worth the price of admission, imo.

Interesting stuff, for sure....

Last edited:
Bitcoin up over 8k and seems to have leveled out.

Ethereum back over 400 and appears to be making a run at it's all time high of 414.

Seems that the overall market is booming. Lot of press due to big developments has turned the spotlight on it again. Most coins are up, the majors waaay up. Total market cap is spiking, now over 250,000,000,000

Global Charts | CoinMarketCap

Invest in land.

Seriously?

Uh huh?

Totally incorrect, of course. There are now debit cards that can be swiped like any other card, backed by bitcoin or other cryptos, with no difference on the front end whatsoever.

If that doesn't work for you they can be sold instantly to cash as easily as any other liquid asset, such as a stock or cd or whatever, wth that cash then transferred directly into your bank account as would be the case if you sold a stock or anything else.

What is the difference between bitcoin clicking money into existance and The Federal Reserve.....same scam it seems to me

Invest in land.

Seriously?

Uh huh?

What is the difference between bitcoin clicking money into existance and The Federal Reserve.....same scam it seems to me

One the primary differences when considering supply is that the supply of BTC is controlled and finite. Btc is issued at a set rate over time. Scarcity is also built into the code, with only a pre-established number (21 million) that will ever be issued.

Seriously?

Uh huh?

One the primary differences when considering supply is that the supply of BTC is controlled and finite. Btc is issued at a set rate over time. Scarcity is also built into the code, with only a pre-established number (21 million) that will ever be issued.
Yeah so...........

Seriously?

Uh huh?

Fueri, I can't find any data on how many 'coins' could be classified as out of circulation and how many are being actively traded. Could you see a scenario where the vast majority of BTC is being held forcing the powers that be to issue more BTC thus potentially 'diluting' BTC value?

Uh huh?

Fueri, I can't find any data on how many 'coins' could be classified as out of circulation and how many are being actively traded. Could you see a scenario where the vast majority of BTC is being held forcing the powers that be to issue more BTC thus potentially 'diluting' BTC value?

Fortune estimates the number of lost bitcoin @ 2.7 - 3.8 million

Exclusive: Nearly 4 Million Bitcoins Lost Forever, New Study Says

There could be a scenario where it is decided to issue more. It's code based, so theoretically anything could be done to modify it.

2 things make that either unnecessary or unlikely, imo.

1. A bitcoin can be divided down to 8 decimal places.

Point being, even if price goes to a ridiculous level, let's say a million dollars, it is still divisible down to a penny for transactional purposes and that decimal could be moved out if necessary also.

Supply and demand sets the pricing as in all markets and that should be true here also. There will always be folks looking to sell for whatever reason and as markets develop, such as what is happening right now with the CME and CBOE, that liquidity should be enhanced, so the market is fairly liquid.

2. Change mechanism. To alter the code in a meaningful way, such as altering the number of total put out, 75% of miners have to agree on that change, which is then implemented via fork. It's hard to see how these groups, which hold this asset, and profit from this, could be convinced to devalue it significantly. These are primarily large commercial entities at this point, with major investments in infrastructure, so maybe it's possible, but doubtful. Most corporations don't vote against their own bottom line.

FWIW it's this need for near consensus to implement change which is one of BTC's strengths and potential weaknesses. It's a strength because it's not that easy for a centralized organization to control it, as in this scenario to simply devalue it. Its a weakness because it makes it a much more time consuming and difficult process to improve it, as we saw recently with the scaling debate that went on for a couple of years. This can allow for other, more nimble, blockchains to improve at a relatively faster rate, which could conceivably leave BTC behind in a technical sense, and some (myself included) think this is happening already.

It's more likely, imo, miners would agree to slow issue rate to keep the mining and issuance element running .longer than originally planned than to significantly increase supply, at least in the near to medium term.

So yes, it's possible that more could be issued, but for the immediate future there's not a need that I can see to do that as long as the market has sufficient liquidity.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back