Do We Really Get Any Justice From Our Penal System?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
I would argue “No”.
Our current system is short sighted, antiquated, and overly expensive. Additionally one can argue that it violates our own Comstitutional protection against ”cruel and unusual punishment”.
What purpose does a life sentence serve the public, but to be a financial drain, and a burden on our resources. How is branding segment of our populace non participatory citizens for life; not “cruel and unusual punishment? Especially when it comes to non violent offenses?
There must be a better way. A way that works not only to actually mete out justice; but also lessens the burden on the society that must see it through. To this end I think a maximum sentencing guideline would be quite useful. 10-15, maybe even 20 years maximum. Any crime in need of more severe punishment means the death penalty.
Once the sentence has been served the person is welcomed back into society; with all the rights, and privileges due any citizen.
It would lower the expenditure of our criminal justice system, and serve to reintroduce an element of justice.
In a “for instance”... Someone murders your child. A jury has an option of capital punishment, or maximum sentence. If they opt for the death penalty, Justice is served. If they opt for maximum sentencing; the convicted serves his time and is released. His debt to society repaid. If the aggrieved still do not feel Justice was served. They can take the calculated risk of killing the offender whereby sacrificing either a portion of their own free lives, or their own life itself, depending on how they calculate a jury would vote.
Such a system would not only dramatically reduce the cost of our criminal justice system. It would also add something that’s been sorely missing. Justice. Justice for all. Including those who have to pay for it...

Last edited:
I'm voting for public hanging for super-violent/capital crimes.

Hanging's been refined to a science. Long-drop, you sickos, not short! Instant neck break.

Works for me if child predators automatically get the death penalty. On the other hand, for lesser, general sex offenders who don't meet the threshold for the DP, but for whom rehabilitation is a 'gamble', I do see the potential need for separating them from society indefinitely.

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun with my penil system....

oh wait....

That's off topic....

Carry on...

Constitutionally, I see chemical castration as fraught with difficulty. Let's just say that if a male sex offender facing life were to voluntarily & unexpectedly, anatomically castrate themselves in the solitude of their own cell, I might be willing to let fall under the 'mitigating factors' umbrella ... lol. The snuffing out of a human life is a magnitudinously 'awesome' responsibility that should not be trivialized & to be wished on no one!

Last edited:
Works for me if child predators automatically get the death penalty. On the other hand, for lesser, general sex offenders who don't meet the threshold for the DP, but for whom rehabilitation is a 'gamble', I do see the potential need for separating them from society indefinitely.
If it’s deemed they need indefinite separation from society; then simply put them to death. Why burden society with their care, when they’ll never be given the opportunity to contribute to it?

If it’s deemed they need indefinite separation from society; then simply put them to death. Why burden society with their care, when they’ll never be given the opportunity to contribute to it?
As the system is now, I do see your point... Shouldn't we be clever enough as a society to figure out how some may be incarcerated yet (without infringing on our ethical constraints) contribute to society, defray their costs by voluntary trade skills in the production of goods / services? I know there already is something to this effect in place, I just am out of my depth here on this issue, lol.

The day that clicking a computer mouse could land you in a federal prison for 3 decades was the day I lost respect for the penal system in this country.

The day that clicking a computer mouse could land you in a federal prison for 3 decades was the day I lost respect for the penal system in this country.
Long prison sentences are overly expensive, and don’t serve justice. All they do is drain money from the public; and put it in the pocket of the prison industrial complex. We need a reasonable maximum sentence/ or death penalty.

The miscarriages of justice in our system are legion. Look at a person who kills someone getting out in 6 years, vs. Bernie Madoff. He stole millions from millionaires. For that, hell never breath free air again. How is one compared to the other “Justice”?

I'm voting for public hanging for super-violent/capital crimes.

Hanging's been refined to a science. Long-drop, you sickos, not short! Instant neck break.
I’m not too hung up on the method personally. Just as long as it gets the job done. I think all the cockamamie, overly complicated methods of execution we use now are more prone to failure, and more inhumane than the tried and true classics.

Forum List

Back