Do the rich earn their income?

The rest came from things like interest, dividends, and capital gains.

I have no doubt that much of the income generated by privileged wealth in this country is 'unproductive'. We have endlessly polluted market dynamics with distorting regulation and state manipulation that usually work to benefit the established interests (those with the wealth and influence to steer policy in their favor).

But outside the corrupting influence of the state, the notion that interest and capital gains aren't 'earned' income is naive. The profit derived from wise investment represents one of the most important jobs that get done in a free economy. That's something anti-market people never seem to get. Even in a state-run, command economy, someone has to make the decisions guiding how we apply our labor and resources. If they do it well, we all benefit. If they do it poorly, we all suffer.

In a free market, the people making these decisions are capitalists. They are the people in charge of deciding which projects are funded, and which aren't. When they make good decisions - we reward them with profits (interest and dividends). When they make bad decisions, they lose their investments, and someone else takes over.

LMAO!!! That sounds dreamy. But when they make bad decisions in America, they get bailed out with someone else's money.:lol:

That's not someone else's money, that's your, mine and the rest of the taxpayers' money. Although one would never know it by the way they spend it, the government doesn't have its own money - not one thin dime.

According to the IRS, the answer is mostly not.

Of the richest of the rich only 6.5% of income was from working, as of 2007. The rest came from things like interest, dividends, and capital gains.

In other words, the kind of income you get without having to wake up in the morning.

Which raises the question: if the rich are consuming without working, who is doing their work for them?

Link

It doesn't matter how they accumulated their wealth; it is theirs, plain and simple. The question is whether they should be taxed on that wealth or income and how much. The argument is whether or not they should pay more than lower income earners due to their good fortune, no matter how they came about that good fortune. For some, it is through hard work, others it is through good fortune, and some it is through inheritance. I am not interested in taking their wealth away from them. However, I do believe that they have a responsibility to contribute to the overall well being of the rest of society if they intend to continue earning and reaping the benefits that such a society has given them.

And no, being the job creators is not enough. They still should pay taxes and a reasonable amount. On another note, not all wealthy people are job creators. Many job creators become wealthy, but that does not mean that all wealthy people are job creators. Many just sock their money away in fairly safe investments and live off the earnings. I don't have a problem with that either, but they should pay a fair share of the tax burden, and their fair share is much greater than a minimum wage worker.

"Fairly safe investments". You mean, like large, stable companies that employ and provide job security for lots and lots of workers? THOSE sorts of fairly safe investments?

Bottom line: wealthy people are ALL job providers in one way or another, unless they've got their money stored in their mattresses.

And listening to people talk about "fair shares" gives me the willies, because it always seems to mean "We're going to punish you for not being a pitiful wage slave like we are".

Yeah, too bad those jobs are in China, and their money stored in stocks not doing anything for the economy.:lol:

Of the richest of the rich only 6.5% of income was from working, as of 2007. The rest came from things like interest, dividends, and capital gains.

In other words, the kind of income you get without having to wake up in the morning.

Which raises the question: if the rich are consuming without working, who is doing their work for them?

Link

I guess that would depend on your definition of "earn". If you define it as "suffering through a shitty job for someone else every day like I do", then no. The point of becoming rich is so you don't have to do that any more.

On the other hand, if you define it as "paying your dues to become wealthy enough to spend your time running your own business and/or managing your investments", then yeah. The vast majority of the rich DO earn their money. It's a known fact that most millionaires in this country are self-made.

You DID know that earnings from your own business are often not filed in the same way as income from a paycheck, right?

File this under "liberal class envy".

You realize that we would not be having this argument if the middle class and lower income earners had benefited even half as much as the super wealthy from increases in productivity over the last thirty years. But the fact is that income for the middle class and lower income earners has pretty much been stagnant while income for the very top has increased dramatically.

There are obviously many reasons for this, but the bottom line is that the super wealthy have lined their pockets at the expense of everyone else. Many companies, especially larger employers used to keep pension funds for employees' retirement. Then they switched to 401K plans where they contributed a significant amount to the employees' plans. Now, most of them have stopped doing that too, and all while their profits continued to increase and made them richer than ever. The workers who made it all possible have been left with very little, but the argument that is thrown in those very worker's faces is that they just aren't working hard enough.

The bottom line is that we wouldn't even be having a discussion concerning redistribution of income if everyone had benefitted from the productivity gains of the last 30 years.

::yawn:: Being poor sucks. It always has sucked. It always will suck. That doesn't make it someone else's fault, or make it right to try to punish others because they AREN'T poor.

You're damned right that the people who have more at stake benefit more when things go well. And there's no reason at all that that should be different. You show up, you work, you go home, you get a paycheck. You screw up, maybe you get yelled at. Possibly you get fired, in which case you draw unemployment and eventually find another job to show up, work, and then go home.

On the other hand, the owner of a company is not only showing up every day NOW, he's also likely shown up every day (and I mean EVERY day, because people starting businesses frequently don't take days off) for a long time now, since back when he was the whole she-bang. He likely invested everything he had to get the business off the ground, maybe even mortgaging his own house to gain start-up capital. Now that he's in a position to have employees, he's got a lot more to do every day than just one narrow, assigned job. He gets to oversee EVERYONE ELSE'S jobs, making sure that the books are kept honestly, the payroll is done correctly, the marketing is effective, the maintenance is taken care of, yada yada yada. If HE screws up, maybe his company loses money this year. Maybe his company goes under, and all his employees are out of work, and his investment is gone.

But it's not enough for you that everyone gains something from increased productivity. No, you have to piss and moan because the guy who has everything on the line is gaining more than you, slogging away in your little cubicle, pilfering office supplies when no one's looking. And you feel compelled to tar everyone in the nation who ISN'T a bored wage slave like you with an insanely broad brush to cover up for the fact that YOU just don't have the gumption to go out and be a success yourself.

It doesn't matter how they accumulated their wealth; it is theirs, plain and simple. The question is whether they should be taxed on that wealth or income and how much. The argument is whether or not they should pay more than lower income earners due to their good fortune, no matter how they came about that good fortune. For some, it is through hard work, others it is through good fortune, and some it is through inheritance. I am not interested in taking their wealth away from them. However, I do believe that they have a responsibility to contribute to the overall well being of the rest of society if they intend to continue earning and reaping the benefits that such a society has given them.

And no, being the job creators is not enough. They still should pay taxes and a reasonable amount. On another note, not all wealthy people are job creators. Many job creators become wealthy, but that does not mean that all wealthy people are job creators. Many just sock their money away in fairly safe investments and live off the earnings. I don't have a problem with that either, but they should pay a fair share of the tax burden, and their fair share is much greater than a minimum wage worker.

"Fairly safe investments". You mean, like large, stable companies that employ and provide job security for lots and lots of workers? THOSE sorts of fairly safe investments?

Bottom line: wealthy people are ALL job providers in one way or another, unless they've got their money stored in their mattresses.

And listening to people talk about "fair shares" gives me the willies, because it always seems to mean "We're going to punish you for not being a pitiful wage slave like we are".

Yeah, too bad those jobs are in China, and their money stored in stocks not doing anything for the economy.:lol:

Yeah, all the jobs are in China. No one works in the United States. We're all unemployed. :cuckoo:

Yeah, all the jobs are in China. No one works in the United States. We're all unemployed. :cuckoo:

No, we are talking about the rich here C, not the small business guy who is getting fucked over by corporate lobbyists paid by the "Rich."

Only the ones who weren't born into it or didn't have it willed to them. If you start with nothing and make great gains, you probably worked your ass for it. If you were born with a silver spoon up your ass, then I guess we all know the answer to that.

Link

It's for damn sure you didn't earn their income. Get over it.
Note to Teabaggers:

That's "....damned sure...".....spelling with-which you should be familiar, before advancing to Jr. High.​

Last edited:

No, we are talking about the rich here C, not the small business guy who is getting fucked over by corporate lobbyists paid by the "Rich."

Okay, now you're just topic-hopping to avoid having to make a real comment.

The 1%ers/high-roller$ expectation is......because they're (actually) gambling, thru their investments, their tax-rates should be given "special" consideration.

How 'bout they get taxed at THO$E rates????

How "stressful" it must be, gambling for a living.

handjob.gif

Link

Most of my income comes from how I have invested my money over the years. Currently, 80% of my income is unearned. If people like you get pissed off because you can't do the same, the solution is simple. Work your socks off, make the right investments and quit your fucking moaning! Nothing in life is free! The sooner you learn that lesson, the better off you'll become!

Link

Are you fucking serious?

If it wasn't for the "wealthy" you wouldn't have a fucking job dummy.

What do you think, businesses just run themselves?? Who the fuck do you believe makes the ultimate decisions in EVERY business in the US??

Oh yeah, thats right the narcoleptic rich guy that owns the business.

Lets also not forget that if people didn't invest our dollar would be useless horseshit.

Of course smart people invest, only a fucking retard wouldn't.

Of course smart people charge interest - why the fuck would they lend a stranger money for free???

The stupidity on the left is stunning....

Last edited:
Since when is investment income "unearned"? When I have to make budget decisions in my job, apparently I am not earning my income.

Investments are certainly earned income - the investor decides which investments to make, makes them, shoulders the risk, etc.. Without those investments, a lot of folks would lose their jobs.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since when is investment income "unearned"? When I have to make budget decisions in my job, apparently I am not earning my income.

Investments are certainly earned income - the investor decides which investments to make, makes them, shoulders the risk, etc.. Without those investments, a lot of folks would lose their jobs.

When the lawmakers decided to use the term "earned income" to refer only to money derived from a paycheck or tips, and "unearned income" for everything else, in order to justify gouging successful people for taxes via class envy.

Absolutely....

Link

Most of my income comes from how I have invested my money over the years. Currently, 80% of my income is unearned.
Gee.....I hope you didn't work-up TOO much of a sweat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQO9xrd234]‪Rolling Dice Slow Motion Web‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

handjob.gif

..... I’ve worked in an economy that rewards someone who saves the lives of others on a battlefield with a medal, rewards a great teacher with thank-you notes from parents, but rewards those who can detect the mispricing of securities with sums reaching into the billions. In short, fate’s distribution of long straws is wildly capricious.”

- Warren Buffett, (Buffett Says ‘Capricious’ Economy Requires Charity (Update1) by Hugh Son, Bloomberg, June 16, 2010 16:17 EDT)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett
As usual, Warren Buffett has put his finger on the fact that the distribution of wealth in America, more often than not, excludes those who have made the greatest contributions to society.

The 2008 recession was largely caused by the unchecked "greed" of the wealthy who abused their position of trust. Unfortunately, it appears that we haven't learned our lesson!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back