Do Only 6% Understand Science?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Here at USMB we are blessed with a dunce who regularly posts that Republicans are anti-science, or a tiny fraction of scientists.....suggesting that the Leftists are deep thinkers, and the cutting edge of raciocination....

Sure would like to see his analysis of the following story:

" BOSTON APPROVES BAN ON SMOKING IN CITY-RUN PARKS"
Boston approves ban on smoking in city-run parks

Seems to me one could not find a less-Republican big city than Boston......

The 'Second-Hand Smoke Scam'....hysteria masquerading as science.

1. Dr. James Enstrom, disputed the epidemiological studies on secondhand smoke in the British Medical Journal:
“ The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed…. Most epidemiological studies have found that environmental tobacco smoke has a positive but not statistically significant relation to coronary heart disease and lung cancer. ” Environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality in a prospective study of Californians, 1960-98 | BMJ

2. What happens when scientists disagree with the Left? Science takes second place to Liberal politics.
“A longtime professor at UCLA, told that he would not be rehired because his "research is not aligned with the academic mission" of his department,… Enstrom, an epidemiologist at UCLA's School of Public Health, has a history of running against the grain. In 2003 he wrote a study, published in the British Medical Journal, in which he found no causal relationship between secondhand smoke and tobacco-related death – a conclusion that drew fire both because it was contrary to popular scientific belief and because it was funded by Philip Morris…. "The significance of this is a threat to academic freedom and it's also a threat to academic science," Siegel said. "If scientists have to produce work that meets a certain view to keep their jobs, researchers are going to stop publishing negative findings for fear of being fired.".” Scientist's Firing After 36 Years Fuels 'PC' Debate at UCLA | Fox News

3. No measure of cumulative lifetime secondhand smoke exposure was ever possible, so the epidemiologic studies estimated risk based not only on an improper marker of exposure, but also on exposure data that are illusory…. More than two dozen causes of lung cancer are reported in the professional literature, and over 200 for cardiovascular diseases; their likely intrusions have never been credibly measured and controlled in secondhand smoke studies. … It has been fashionable to ignore the weakness of "the science" on secondhand smoke, perhaps in the belief that claiming "the science is settled" will lead to policies and public attitudes that will reduce the prevalence of smoking. “ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2007/01/29/AR2007012901158.html

4. Columbia University magazine included this in its “Letters” section, from Dr. Attila Mady:
“The theatrics around the antismoking crusade not only discredit those who resort to fuzzy logic, but also compromise an overall laudable effort to improve public health. There are no prospective case-control studies of smokers. Nor will there ever be, since a properly designed study would require fifty years and millions of participants….Statistics ignore herd immunity and exposure to volatile and particulates since the onset of the industrial age and don’t translate into the real world.”
Columbia Magazine, Spring 2012, p.4.

And, this, particularly significant for Boston's ridiculous park ban......

5. A real laugher is the outdoor smoking ban various nanny-state governments have instituted.
“But no evidence demonstrates that the duration of outdoor exposure — in places where people can move freely about — is long enough to cause substantial health damage…. To make matters worse, in trying to convince people that even transient exposure to secondhand smoke is a potentially deadly hazard, smoking opponents risk losing scientific credibility.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/opinion/06siegel.html

Hypothetically, as many individuals on the Right dislike smoking as do individuals on the Left…why, then, are those on the Left so much more likely to believe that secondhand smoke can seriously hurt their health, and, possibly, kill them?

And why are Liberal cities, governed by Liberal, so much more likely to ban outdoor smoking….?

When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’ Hence…Lock-Step Liberals

As a life-long smoker myself (pipe last few years having quit ciggies,) while I don't like smoking restrictions, I'm sympathetic to non-smoker's rights not to have to smell or breathe in second-hand smoke. While I'm not familar with the science of second-hand smoke, for me it's moot. It's a matter of politeness and consideration for those around me, especially when kids are about. I vividly recall how I often felt being around my Mom and Dad both smokers and it wasn't pleasant. So if a park or other locale wants to forbid smoking, long as there's somewhere I can go I'm ok with it.

Here at USMB we are blessed with a dunce who regularly posts that Republicans are anti-science, or a tiny fraction of scientists.....suggesting that the Leftists are deep thinkers, and the cutting edge of raciocination....

1. Dr. James Enstrom, disputed the epidemiological studies on secondhand smoke in the British Medical Journal:
“ The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed…. Most epidemiological studies have found that environmental tobacco smoke has a positive but not statistically significant relation to coronary heart disease and lung cancer. ” Environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality in a prospective study of Californians, 1960-98 | BMJ

2. What happens when scientists disagree with the Left? Science takes second place to Liberal politics.
“A longtime professor at UCLA, told that he would not be rehired because his "research is not aligned with the academic mission" of his department,… Enstrom, an epidemiologist at UCLA's School of Public Health, has a history of running against the grain. In 2003 he wrote a study, published in the British Medical Journal, in which he found no causal relationship between secondhand smoke and tobacco-related death – a conclusion that drew fire both because it was contrary to popular scientific belief and because it was funded by Philip Morris…. "The significance of this is a threat to academic freedom and it's also a threat to academic science," Siegel said. "If scientists have to produce work that meets a certain view to keep their jobs, researchers are going to stop publishing negative findings for fear of being fired.".” Scientist's Firing After 36 Years Fuels 'PC' Debate at UCLA | Fox News

3. No measure of cumulative lifetime secondhand smoke exposure was ever possible, so the epidemiologic studies estimated risk based not only on an improper marker of exposure, but also on exposure data that are illusory…. More than two dozen causes of lung cancer are reported in the professional literature, and over 200 for cardiovascular diseases; their likely intrusions have never been credibly measured and controlled in secondhand smoke studies. … It has been fashionable to ignore the weakness of "the science" on secondhand smoke, perhaps in the belief that claiming "the science is settled" will lead to policies and public attitudes that will reduce the prevalence of smoking. “ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2007/01/29/AR2007012901158.html

4. Columbia University magazine included this in its “Letters” section, from Dr. Attila Mady:
“The theatrics around the antismoking crusade not only discredit those who resort to fuzzy logic, but also compromise an overall laudable effort to improve public health. There are no prospective case-control studies of smokers. Nor will there ever be, since a properly designed study would require fifty years and millions of participants….Statistics ignore herd immunity and exposure to volatile and particulates since the onset of the industrial age and don’t translate into the real world.”
Columbia Magazine, Spring 2012, p.4.

And, this, particularly significant for Boston's ridiculous park ban......

5. A real laugher is the outdoor smoking ban various nanny-state governments have instituted.
“But no evidence demonstrates that the duration of outdoor exposure — in places where people can move freely about — is long enough to cause substantial health damage…. To make matters worse, in trying to convince people that even transient exposure to secondhand smoke is a potentially deadly hazard, smoking opponents risk losing scientific credibility.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/opinion/06siegel.html

Hypothetically, as many individuals on the Right dislike smoking as do individuals on the Left…why, then, are those on the Left so much more likely to believe that secondhand smoke can seriously hurt their health, and, possibly, kill them?

And why are Liberal cities, governed by Liberal, so much more likely to ban outdoor smoking….?

When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’ Hence…Lock-Step Liberals

Why do Democrat scientists build such crappy infrastructure that it's always crumbling?

Do we still get to bitch about second hand stink?

As a life-long smoker myself (pipe last few years having quit ciggies,) while I don't like smoking restrictions, I'm sympathetic to non-smoker's rights not to have to smell or breathe in second-hand smoke. While I'm not familar with the science of second-hand smoke, for me it's moot. It's a matter of politeness and consideration for those around me, especially when kids are about. I vividly recall how I often felt being around my Mom and Dad both smokers and it wasn't pleasant. So if a park or other locale wants to forbid smoking, long as there's somewhere I can go I'm ok with it.

At the same time, I'm not allowed to ask the stupid people to shut the fuck up and stop wasting air. It would be polite if they would refrain from asking dumb questions, saying stupid shit or acting out like dullards. Yet, i'm forced to endure them or lock myself in at home.

Crazy world, right?

I don't mind telling you that Rogers(Republican Castle) Arkansas outlawed the same two years ago. Also in that city:
You can't smoke in a vehicle with any child under the age of 8.
No smoking in parks, bars, rest, etc.
It is not a phenomena with just the left, but of the right also.

"It's a matter of politeness and consideration for those around me, especially when kids are about."

And there is your conservative side speaking...and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.

But for Liberals......the modus operandi is to outlaw and ban.

And that under the pretension that is is about science.

What could be more anti-liberty, more anti-freedom, more anti-American.

Banning smoking has been the biggest health initiative in my lifetime

The American Cancer Society thanks you

Do we still get to bitch about second hand stink?

OK....you asked for it:

Your heart is full of unwashed socks. Your soul is full of gunk …The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote, “Stink, stank, stunk!”
— How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

But for Liberals......the modus operandi is to outlaw and ban.

And that under the pretension that is is about science.

What could be more anti-liberty, more anti-freedom, more anti-American.

It's the LOLberal way.

Banning smoking has been the biggest health initiative in my lifetime

The American Cancer Society thanks you

See what i mean?

At the same time, I'm not allowed to ask the stupid people to shut the fuck up and stop wasting air. It would be polite if they would refrain from asking dumb questions, saying stupid shit or acting out like dullards. Yet, i'm forced to endure them or lock myself in at home.

Crazy world, right?

Oh....wonderful.....you probably just gave the Liberals another idea....

...to ban or tax "asking dumb questions, saying stupid shit or acting out like dullards"....

...or both.

The whole anti-smoking campaign was begun by businesses that did not want the employee smoking and the business would have to cover their health issues under their medical insurance.

Forum List

Back