Do I have to be gay to marry another dude?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Ragnar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Is it "gay marriage" or "same sex marriage"? Any legal beagles at USMB do any work on the issue, maybe especially in gay friendly States. What about activist for or against gay marriage?

I'm not well informed on the issue and just happened to stumble across the below article the other night. As a right leaning libertarian I don't have a problem with gay marriage or civil unions. I would just as soon see the government not be involved in marriage at all. I've been pretty dispassionate on the topic as a straight guy who's life can't really be affected one way or another. Or can it?

Blog: Same-sex Marriage: No Gay Required

"When applying for a marriage license, there is no box to check, no oath to take, no questions about a person's sexual proclivity. Ironically, the very heart of the "gay marriage" movement -- homosexuality -- gets nary a mention on the marriage application"

Well. "Future legal implications"? I'm not sure. What say you USMB? Can I marry another dude for tax advantages, inheritance, citizenship, etc etc? (once same sex marriage is legal... or is it gay marriage)

2. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUFz0e8NA8]&#x202a;Chuck and Larry&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube[/ame]

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,086
    your tax advantage would only be within the state allowing same sex marriage.... no federal advantage for same sex marriages is given by the federal irs....or for social security given to a spouse....so only within the state will there be advantage/tax wise

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Well, I'm just glad there aren't any straight people who marry for money or other non-holy reasons!

5. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Fine and good but I was looking at the broader questions. I believe gay marriage will be the law of the land, State and Federal, within a decade or so. Will this mean more government bureaucrats determining if our marriages are "frauds"? Will gay marriages receive disproportionate scrutiny?

Ironically the "Chuck and Larry" scenario may be much less comic farce and a little more true life (sans laugh track). It's an aspect of the debate that had honestly not occurred to me in all these years.

6. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    The most prolific, if cliched examples being dirty old men with money marrying much younger female tarts. (presumably an exchange is taking place: money for gross looking sex)

It happens but it's beside the point. The question is should gay marriage require "certified" gays? If so, how is that enforced? (same way as ye olde timey marriage?) If not, what is the point of having marriage law at all.

My thinking is that gays just what the same marriage rights and laws that straight people have. The question is if the government has the will to enforce the laws equally in a very PC dominated culture. Does society have the will to protect gay marriage from same sex marriage?

7. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    You are only gay if you are the passive part when making love.

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,923
    Do I have to be gay to marry another dude?

What's his name? Does he know you're interested?

9. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Hmmm. Well when my lovely bride and I took our vows, I don't recall anyone certifying or even asking whether I'm straight.
    I don't know that anyone would want to pay for a new government agency to go around "certifying" sexual preferences. Would you vote for that kind of spending? I wouldn't. I don't think anyone would.

btw, my lovely bride is much younger than I am and that does not make me gross!!!

10. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I'm already on record as not wanting the government involved in marriage at all. Anyway it would not be some new agency, it would be whoever investigates and "certifies" marriage now. (typically when immigration status is involved etc)

btw, congrats but yeah, it's a little gross. :tongue::tongue: