Do Americans favor the creation of a public health insurance?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by DavidS, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    One poll says: Yes.

Now, who believes the polls, right? I mean polls are done by mostly left-leaning organizations, right?

Not this one.

Okay, so this was a poll done by a conservative group that supports public health insurance, right?

No. This poll was done by a conservative group and PAID FOR by private health insurance companies.

Well, then the results must be very close, right?

No. This poll shows that over 80%, that's right, over 80% of Americans support the creation of public health insurance.

New Poll Shows Tremendous Support for Public Health Care Option | OurFuture.org

The 2009 Health Confidence Survey: Public Opinion on Health Reform Varies; Strong Support for Insurance Market Reform and Public Plan Option, Mixed Response to Tax Cap | EBRI

Eighty-three percent of Americans favor and only 14 percent oppose “creating a new public health insurance plan that anyone can purchase” according to EBRI, a conservative business research organization. This flatly contradicts conservatives’ loudest attack against President Obama’s plan to provide quality, affordable health care for all.
    The Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) calls itself “the most authoritative and objective source of information” on the issues of employee retirement and health benefits. Founded in 1978, EBRI says it “is the gold standard for private analysts and decision makers, government policymakers, the media, and the public.” And EBRI is funded by many of the largest corporations in America.
    EBRI’s biggest donors include: AT&T, Bank of America, Boeing, General Dynamics, General Mills, IBM, JBMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Northop Grumman, Schering-Plough, Schwab, T.Rowe Price, UBS Financial, and Wal-Mart. EBRI also receives large contributions from the insurance industry, including: Blue Cross Blue Shield, CIGNA, Hartford, Kaiser Permanente, Massachusetts Mutual, Metropolitan Life, Union Labor Life, and UnitedHealth.
    Here’s who paid for the poll, as stated by EBRI:
    This survey was made possible with support from AARP, American Express, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Buck Consultants, Chevron, Deere & Company, IBM, Mercer, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Principal Financial Group, Schering-Plough Corp., Shell Oil Company, The Commonwealth Fund, and Towers Perrin.

2. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    Social Security - the biggest, most complicated, most heavily regulated insurance company in the history of mankind is run by YOUR federal government at less than 1% for ALL overhead and administrative costs.

Don't tell me that We, The People can't efficiently run our own insurance program.

The less money required to send insurance executives to conferences in Cancun and pay bonuses, the more money available to pay claims for beneficiaries who have paid into the system and the cheaper the premiums need to be.

Duh!

-Joe

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  3. trueblue

trueblue Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Are you seriously using social security as the model for how healthcare should be run? Wow. I didn't know that anyone was a fan of social security. Social security has been leaking and flat-out losing money for years. Remember how Al Gore wanted to put it in a lock box? Because the program stinks. We put money in and somehow it disappears. By 2025 or 2030 it is supposed to be all dried up and gone, despite the chunk they take every month from my paycheck and yours. That is why, sir, I seriously doubt overhead costs are less than 1%. And there's no way this federal government can pull of a successful medical program, especially if social security, medicare and medicaid are examples for how they'd like to pull it off.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    Believe it. The administrative costs, ALL of them, including office space, wages, training, computers, heat, lights, the whole shit and shaboodle are less than 1 penny out of every tax dollar collected (just FICA taxes, mind you, not all taxes). The reason? SSA is managed and manned by professionals who are committed to excellence and willing to do the job for a reasonable wage.

SSA is the most efficiently run insurance program ever conceived. That's why the health insurance industry is lobbying so hard to keep their gravy train to themselves - they would fold under the competition.

SSA is solvent until 2035 - 2045 depending on what happens with the economy, and things are looking good for reform because starting in 1984 all newly hired members of congress were covered by SS, and civil service began being grandfathered out. As soon as the old timers like Kennedy are replaced by leadership hired after 1984, you will see Social Security reform cooking nicely on the front burner.

(insert your favorite Deity here) bless the USA!

-Joe

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. foggedinn

foggedinn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Only those Americans who have had to deal with private health insurance.

6. trueblue

trueblue Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Even if what you said was true and the SSA is the most efficient insurance program in the nation, it is still on track to crash, to fail, to run into the ground. That's not the kind of business model I want paying my hospital bills. Still, I gotta call you on this one. Do you have a source for all these claims? Or are you just making this stuff up?

7. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,542
    Then I'm sure you must not allow your parents to accept Social Security or Medicare.

8. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,542
    Yes, I'd heard about this poll too. 80% of Americans in favor of a public option to healthcare is pretty convincing.

9. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    My source is a dear friend who works for the agency and his source is internal training publications, but everything I've said is of public record. SSA is not on a track to crash, it is on track to need changes, which do need to be pushed for by the voters, but having congresscritters hired after 1984 being on Social Security instead of Civil Service helps - An easy way for the voters to help? Dump an Incumbant!

-Joe

10. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,223
    At a long-awaited House subcommittee hearing on Wednesday, health-care professionals made it clear that they believe a single-payer system to be the best and perhaps only workable option for health care reform.

Advocates of single-payer universal healthcare—the system favored by most Americans—continue to protest their exclusion from discussions on healthcare reform. On Tuesday, five doctors, nurses and single-payer advocates were arrested at a Senate Finance Committee hearing, bringing the total number of arrests in less than a week to thirteen.

Baucus's Raucous Caucus: Doctors, Nurses and Activists Arrested Again for Protesting Exclusion of Single-Payer Advocates at Senate Hearing on Healthcare

60 percent of Americans in support of single-payer health insurance, advocates say Congress is excluding the majority of Americans from a critical national debate. Single-payer supporters say politicians are unfairly criticizing the idea as politically unfeasible without even having an open and public dialogue on its merits.