Dixie Chicks...Toby Keith /whats the big deal?

lupuman34

Rookie
Aug 9, 2004
She said his lyrics in a specific song were "ignorant"
He responded, rambling about protecting freedom.(everyone does)
Not to forget her criticizing of Prez Bush.
Great... what's great about these country singers having verbal confrontations on politics.

I would appreciate it if someone would explain.
Seems trivial to me.

Toby Keith made the boot in your ass song about kicking the terrorists ass shortly after 9/11. The dixie chicks called him ignorant. They also said they were ashamed to have president Bush be from their home state. Major backlash from her major fan base (you know country music, south, south loves Bush) had them crying censorship and Toby Keith basically laughed.

thats about it.

As far as country music goes both these acts suck ass, neither sing whats generally known as country music, its more like a hybrid adult contemporary. Who gives a rats ass what they say one way or the other much like the Hollywood types. Toby Keith gave up credibility when he rapped in one of his songs, now he's trying to get it back. Lets hear him say some things about gays then will talk.

William Joyce said:
Toby Keith ain't country. He's a Jew-loving, negro-worshipping, anti-white shitrag. Fuck him.

Im sure i could find a number of beautiful women who would love to oblige you with that one:)

I think what he was trying to say was NYC isn't exactly chalk full of country listeners, therefore the opinion of Willie might not be as informed as say someone from Nashville. Just like someone from Nashville their opinion on the best restaurants in Tribeca wouldn't be worth two cents. Now i'm not saying that only country music opinions from Nashville matter but you have to admit not much twang comes out of NYC.

I'd be willing to lay a bet that Willie can't name 10 George Strait tunes off the top of his head and that is an EASYYYYYYY question, would be hard to tell if he could or couldn't though because that is easily findable on the web.

Moi said:
what in the world does NYC have to do with it?
Um, Joyce is from NYC?

And to fend off further questions, the "get a rope" comment comes from an old Pace Picante commercial, wherein they were talking about Picante made in NYC.

OCA:

I agree with you on the general state of country music. It's pretty much indistinguishable from the more mediocre examples of '70s rock - except that someone reminds them to twang or sing about tractors every now and again. It's a shame, because true country music is as uniquely American as jazz or blues. It should be treated with respect, instead of being turned out like a two-dollar whore.

musicman said:
OCA:

I agree with you on the general state of country music. It's pretty much indistinguishable from the more mediocre examples of '70s rock - except that someone reminds them to twang or sing about tractors every now and again. It's a shame, because true country music is as uniquely American as jazz or blues. It should be treated with respect, instead of being turned out like a two-dollar whore.

For sure, Buck Owens ROCKS.

And Willie, and George! And don't forget Tammy, and Dolly, and.....

Merle Haggart, Buck Owens, Hank Wiliams and Loretta Lynn are my favs. I'm not much for country music, but the classic combination of talented musicians, singers and song writers has left a unmatched legacy of country music (IMHO). The old farts knew how to do it properly, and that can be said for most musical genres.

Said1 said:
Merle Haggart, Buck Owens, Hank Wiliams and Loretta Lynn are my favs. I'm not much for country music, but the classic combination of talented musicians, singers and song writers has left a unmatched legacy of country music (IMHO). The old farts knew how to do it properly, and that can be said for most musical genres.

Amen, and, again, amen! I feel that I was spoiled as a young 'un. In rock, for example, you could hear everything from jug band music to 8-piece horn jazz - all of it good, and all of it under the umbrella of rock and roll. Now, the moguls and the marketing majors have taken over, with predictable results (i.e., most popular music sucks).

musicman said:
Amen, and, again, amen! I feel that I was spoiled as a young 'un. In rock, for example, you could hear everything from jug band music to 8-piece horn jazz - all of it good, and all of it under the umbrella of rock and roll. Now, the moguls and the marketing majors have taken over, with predictable results (i.e., most popular music sucks).

It's a formula that generates billions of dollars. What I really hate, is the electronically produced garbage that is supposed to really sound like a real band. I think many bands are missing the the whole purpose of getting together and jamming in a basement - letting the process flow naturally, as is should. That's the stuff you can't re-produced with modern technology.

Forum List

Back