Dixie Chicks to Split Up After Grammies?

I don't think they much care about the country music types... their album topped the Billboard charts for months.

It seems, though, that it's pretty low for radio stations to refuse to run advertising for someone's live shows because of their political opinions.

No one I know listens to her any more. I think it's kind of like when Richard Nixon got elected, that quote where someone said 'nobody I know voted for him!' :)

As for their live shows, we actually did have one country station (out of three in the area) doing promos for their Tacoma show. But mostly, the DC's aren't played much at all any more. And that's the radio station's right.

It affects me the same way Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Fox News, and George Bush's college grades affects you ... not one bit...

Good riddance to the Dipsie Twits, country music's biggest embarrassment ...

BTW.... Fleetwood Mac performed "Landslide" one million times better than they ever could

That's no lie .....

José;516561 said:
It would be a mistake to portray Maines as a leftist based on the following quote:

"The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism; Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Maines

In the above statement, Maines is clearly rejecting nationalism as an ideology.

Just think for a moment:

International politics is about conflicts of interests between the myriad of countries in which humans find themselves divided as well as the temporary alliances made by these countries to protect their mutual interests.

Still following me? Good.

Now, if Maines rejects the existence of all nation-states as a principle she cannot be categorised as a right winger or a leftist (at least as far as international politics is concerned).

In order to be placed in any part of the political spectrum (right/left), as far as relations between nation-states are concerned, you have to accept the basic tenet of nationalism:

It is OK for humans to divide mankind in different ethnic/political groups and fight for the interests of its own group when it clashes with other groups’ interests.

This is the fundamental prerequisite one has to fulfill in order to occupy a place on the political spectrum.

Without accepting it you cannot be placed anywhere in the political spectrum, because you lie outside of it.

How could I have a rightist or leftist opinion on the Vietnam War if I don’t even think the parties involved have a right to exist let alone fight to begin with?

If a military conflict arises between, let’s say, the US and Iran, you cannot take sides, if you don’t think these two tribes should exist in the first place.

Neutral comments like the one below would be OK:

“What do I think about the war? I think humans desperately need to grow up and overcome all this insane tribalism that since the advent of the nuclear age threatens not only human lives anymore but our entire civilization and planet.”

It seems to me Maines considers the US to be nothing more than a general geographic location of the place she was born.

And I have to admit that Maines is right from a philosophical point of view.

I think nationalism is a necessary evil. At this moment in the cultural evolution of our species, humans can’t reach a consensus on the laws that should rule the ideal society.

As long as humans in Sweden and humans in Saudi Arabia disagree on the kind of society they wish to live in (secular or fundamentalist), mankind will still have to be divided by national boundaries.

But a necessary evil is still an evil.

Nationalism is based on the same sense of aggressive animal territorialism we can witness in the behaviour of beasts like a pride of lions or a group of chimpanzees patroling, marking and fighting for their territories in the wild.

The sooner humans put to rest these prehistoric trait that still plagues modern human societies the better.

This is one of the reasons I use the expression super patriotic “insert any nationality here” clown so enthusiastically. I think of nationalism as a spoiled child, if left unrestrained, leads any individual to advocate nuclear genocide of millions of innocent people as we can witness on this board itself on a daily basis.

But Maines should be aware of the following:

The speech she made in London criticising the US/Iraq war in 2003 is hardly compatible with the internationalist belief I quoted above.

I would advice Maines to avoid making partisan comments about any tribal conflict, if she wants to remain coherent with her own rejection of nationalism.

In the end she sounds a bit confused and contradictory, making highly partisan comments on tribal conflicts and rejecting these same tribes at the same time.

But let’s not be so hard on the poor young lady, people. Let’s not demmand full ideological coherence from her.

Let’s keep in mind she’s a singer, not a P.H.D. in Sociology : )

So? When they were "just a band," I bought their product. When they chose to misuse their access to the media and public via entertainment to spout political convictions, they opened themselves up to be judged for their activist idealism.

Being an American and rejecting American nationalism is pretty cut-n-dried unAmerican. If you are unAmerican, you don't get my dime. Simple as that.

And in contrast, guess who had the Number One album this year?

Answer: Country singer, Carrie Underwood.
On the strength of her hit, "Jesus Take the Wheel", no less.

-

José;516561 said:
Nationalism is based on the same sense of aggressive animal territorialism we can witness in the behaviour of beasts like a pride of lions or a group of chimpanzees patroling, marking and fighting for their territories in the wild.

The sooner humans put to rest these prehistoric trait that still plagues modern human societies the better.

You and Natalie Maines could not be more wrong about this. For the past century, the West has been trying to do just this, only to find that you can't crush this instinct any more than the hunger, sex and money instincts. "Nationalism" is based on the idea that a nation is its people, and a people are connected by blood and tied to the soil. A nation is not "an idea" or a flag or a boundary on a map. A nation is a people. A common people. To be a patriot is to be loyal to your people.

But ignoring this, or attempting to kill it, results in the same catastrophes that communism brought us. Look at Iraq. We ignore the tribalism there, and pretend that magical "democracy" will fix it. It won't. The tribes are blood tribes.

Look at Yugoslavia. As soon as they took out the dictator, the ethnic groups reverted to natural status.

Natalie Maines doesn't get why patriotism is important because she doesn't even know what it is. She's only off the hook because she does seem to distinguish our country from "where you live," which is pretty accurate, today. It's hard to be patriotic about America when it's run by liberal elites who want it (and you) destroyed, and populated with every race, color and creed, all squabbling and fighting each other and demanding that whites pay up.

It's hard to be patriotic about America when it's run by liberal elites who want it (and you) destroyed, and populated with every race, color and creed, all squabbling and fighting each other and demanding that whites pay up.

Are you saying that a black American who can trace his roots back 300 years in America cannot be as patriotic as you due to his race? The whole idea of America was that it was open to ANYONE who held ideals of trying to make something of themselves. The slate was wiped clean from the old country. Nothing about creed and colour in those ideals far as I know...

Are you saying that a black American who can trace his roots back 300 years in America cannot be as patriotic as you due to his race? The whole idea of America was that it was open to ANYONE who held ideals of trying to make something of themselves. The slate was wiped clean from the old country. Nothing about creed and colour in those ideals far as I know...

Hey Grump/Jili, did you hear that wooshing sound? That was the sound of William's point rushing over your head...... too bad you don't have the intellectual capacity to get it without turning it into a racist accusation(good indication of not having a clue). I would try to explain it to you but really, I don't think you could possibly understand (your last sentence proved that).

Hey Grump/Jili, did you hear that wooshing sound? That was the sound of William's point rushing over your head...... too bad you don't have the intellectual capacity to get it without turning it into a racist accusation(good indication of not having a clue). I would try to explain it to you but really, I don't think you could possibly understand (your last sentence proved that).

Was it a racist accusation? You sure about that? Thanks for not trying to explain it to me. I have enough problems dealing with morons in real life without having to put up with one rambling on a messageboard...:cool:

When, never I imagine, will celebrities realize, that when it comes to their opinion, its best to keep it to themselves.

Most are wingnuts without a clue, all they do when they open their collective mouth is make the point.

Those that have been involved in the political process, and actually know how to put two sentences together, that also list celebrity as their occupation, know how to speak to important issues.

The Dixie Chicks have never learned that small point, and at this point it doesn't look like they ever will.

The hard part for me? What other occupation allows people with questionable intelligence, and more questionable talent to actually make a good living? Wonder how they would do in Iran?

When, never I imagine, will celebrities realize, that when it comes to their opinion, its best to keep it to themselves.

Most are wingnuts without a clue, all they do when they open their collective mouth is make the point.

Those that have been involved in the political process, and actually know how to put two sentences together, that also list celebrity as their occupation, know how to speak to important issues.

The Dixie Chicks have never learned that small point, and at this point it doesn't look like they ever will.

The hard part for me? What other occupation allows people with questionable intelligence, and more questionable talent to actually make a good living? Wonder how they would do in Iran?

Celebrities have every right to open their mouths, just like anybody else. If people want to listen to them, that's another thing.

Quite a few celebrities are very intelligent. I love it how people who are not celebrities just live to bring them down. Jealousy maybe?

For every dipshit like Kid Rock, Pamela Anderson or Paris Hilton, there is a Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman or Oprah Winfrey...

Celebrities have every right to open their mouths, just like anybody else. If people want to listen to them, that's another thing.

Quite a few celebrities are very intelligent. I love it how people who are not celebrities just live to bring them down. Jealousy maybe?

For every dipshit like Kid Rock, Pamela Anderson or Paris Hilton, there is a Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman or Oprah Winfrey...

Agreed-----they have every right to open thier mouths and look as stupid as everyone else. Problem is that celebrities are jealous of the politicians for horning in on the spotlight that used to be reserved for "stars" .

I'll agree with you on your first point, to a degree.

A FEW celebrities are intelligent, most people, that don't care a hoot about celebrities, myself included, don't "live" to bring them down. They take care of that all by themselves.

Any YES Jodie, Natalie, and Oprah are ALL interesting celebrities, your point?

while I guess I won't care too much about them breaking up, I do like some of their songs. One is "GodSpeed" which I put on a CD of soft music that I made for my oldest before he was born-that song was word for word how I felt about my boy, even before he was born. I put it on the cd for my youngest too. I also like the one, i think it's called "Earl", and a few others. After they opened their mouths, it was hard for me to listen to the songs, but I still like to. I just don't buy their music anymore.

While I know that many celebrities I like, are lefties, as long as they don't open their mouths and start getting preachy, I still enjoy their work. Such as Johnny Depp. I know he's a lefty, but he doesn't say anything publicly, using his status to make himself seem more important. Thus, I enjoy his work to the fullest. Same with a few other actors.

While I know that many celebrities I like, are lefties, as long as they don't open their mouths and start getting preachy, I still enjoy their work. Such as Johnny Depp. I know he's a lefty, but he doesn't say anything publicly, using his status to make himself seem more important. Thus, I enjoy his work to the fullest. Same with a few other actors.

Johnny Depp could start quoting from Mao's little red book, and I'd still want to see his perfect mug on the big screen. ;)

I don't think they much care about the country music types... their album topped the Billboard charts for months.

It seems, though, that it's pretty low for radio stations to refuse to run advertising for someone's live shows because of their political opinions.

Disagree. When they are using the forum for entertainment where fans are paying to hear their music, it is wrong of the Dixie Chicks to abuse that access to the media to spout their political beliefs.

And it is stupid to spout political beliefs that go against the generally held beliefs of people who support that genre of music. It amounts to professional suicide.

They did ok even after the event. People seem to think they were taught a lesson. All the interviews I saw after the event showed they had no regrets.

C'mon, Grump ... you know better. Defiant, youthful pride to hide the hurt. I guarantee you they have plenty of regrets. They can't get airtime nor live venues in their home state and we were by far the ones who put them on the map and lined their pockets the most.

They just refuse to accept the fact that they did it to themselves, plain and simple.

Bu Bye Dixie Hasbeens........

Go cry over in another Country, America doesnt care anymore........
I'm sure they will accept your whining and anti patriotism Somewhere...

I did like their music when they first came out......

But I also have decided, I WILL NOT support these idiots any longer with my hard earned money.

Sorry Charley... Chicks......
That's just how the Real World Works.......

My Choice, My Decision..

My..... isn't America Great..............

Ride off into that hasbeen sunset.....:eusa_boohoo::badgrin: :eusa_clap:

Forum List

Back