Disenfranchised Felons???

Wow, MSNBC must really be low on virtually anything substantive to lie, er, uh, talk about.

This shit is supremely funny.

Ex-felons permanently disenfranchised in some states - Video on NBCNews.com

As they should be. That is the law of the land. Any takers on wanting to change it?

Yup.....Democrats.

Supreme Court Sonia Sotomayor wants to give jailbirds the right to vote. It's her opinion that the federal Voting Rights Act can be used to force states to allow voting by currently imprisoned felons. Ms. Sotomayor's dissenting opinion in a 2006 felon-voting case should make senators extremely wary of confirming her for the high court.
Ms. Sotomayor is thus in the position of asserting that Congress can prohibit New York from doing something the Constitution itself specifically endorses. It's as if she thinks black and Hispanic felons are convicted in order to deny them the vote, rather than that they are denied the vote as a result of being duly convicted. Her position ignores the fact that it is the convicts' own actions, their crimes - not any state-based racial discrimination - that make those felons ineligible to vote.

As almost every state has done since the United States was founded, New York forbids currently incarcerated or paroled prisoners from voting. Some states go even farther by prohibiting some felons from voting even after they have served their sentences. New York's law is not so stringent. It only applies to felons still under criminal sentences. It equally applies to all felons, black or white.

There is growing evidence that Judge Sotomayor believes some races are more equal than others."
Democrats want to let convicted felons and felons in prison vote! Do you think this should be allowed or not?

What rational exists to deny a person who paid their debt - served time, and successfully completed parole - of the right to vote?

I could see such a right denied to those convicted of treason, or people like Scooter Libby (oh yeah, he never did pay his debt) or Duke Cunningham and others found culpable in the Abramhof Scandal. I can not see the rational for denying the right to vote when a garden variety felon has been released from prison, the jurisdiciton of the Court and/or a Parole Board.

California’s recidivism rate has fallen to 65.1% during the past year but the state still leads the nation in the percentage of inmates returned to prison within the first three years of release.

California's recidivism rate drops but remains one of the nation's highest | What The Folly?!

What background in the Criminal Justice System in California (or anywhere) do you have?

Are you a complete asshole or a partially obtuse one? I don't have to be. These are the stats complied by those in the know, which leaves you out!

Do "you" personally have anything to refute them?

Try reading all of them smart ass then come back and shoot your mouth off some more and show us how ignorant you truly are.

All the experts are wrong and Catcher in the Rye is a fucking expert.

This my friends is what he calls debate that he accused me of not doing earlier today! Being a smart ass and questioning proven data.

P.S. Don't bother replying to me but feel free to to reply to others. I'm not interested in your pissing matches and your ad hominem attacks that are sure to follow.

Bye...go talk to Truthmatters she's one of your two friends here. :clap2::lol:

This message is hidden because Wry Catcher is on your ignore list.

One less nuisance to deal with. :tongue:

Last edited:
Wow, MSNBC must really be low on virtually anything substantive to lie, er, uh, talk about.

Where do you stand on background checks for gun owners? Should felons be given access to a weapon but not a vote?

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits anyone under indictment for, or anyone who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (in other words any felony) from owning or having in their possession or control any firearm.

California’s recidivism rate has fallen to 65.1% during the past year but the state still leads the nation in the percentage of inmates returned to prison within the first three years of release.

California's recidivism rate drops but remains one of the nation's highest | What The Folly?!

What background in the Criminal Justice System in California (or anywhere) do you have?

Are you a complete asshole or a partially obtuse one? I don't have to be. These are the stats complied by those in the know, which leaves you out!

Do you have anything to refute them?

Try reading all of them smart ass then come back and shout your mouth off some more and show us how ignorant you truly are.

This my friends is what he calls debate that he accused me of not doing earlier today! Being a smart ass and questioning proven data.

P.S. Don't bother replying to me but feel free to to reply to others. I'm not interested in your pissing matches and your ad hominem attacks that are sure to follow.

81 posts per day, it would be hard for anyone to miss you. You're a troll and one with a nasty temper. That said, my background includes 32 years in law enforcement. As for your posts, many will remember this quote, "there are liars, damn liars and statistics".

Statistics play a role in explaining but never tell the whole story. And, it requires some background and intelligence to draw conclusions from statistical data. You seem to lack both a background in the CJS and some intelligence.

But keep on trolling; remember what honest Abe once said, "you can fool some of the people all of the time". Too bad for you not all of us are fools.

Last edited:
Parole violations, in lieu of a new criminal complaint and new trail are cheaper and easier to prove for the standard, "beyond a reasonable doubt" does not apply. At a Morrissey Hearing (see Morrissey v. Brewer, 408 U.S. 471 (1972)) the costs are not only much less than a new trial and a Morrissey Hearing can effectively remove the parolee from the streets (no bail is set); when the violation is found true (no jury) s/he can be returned to prison, forthwith.

Last edited:
As a matter of fairness, ex-Cons should have the right to vote. Then again, as a matter of fairness, picture IDs should be required for voting. I don't think either party is overly concerned with fairness.

Do you have anything to refute them?

Try reading all of them smart ass then come back and shout your mouth off some more and show us how ignorant you truly are.

81 posts per day, it would be hard for anyone to miss you. You're a troll and one with a nasty temper. That said, my background includes 32 years in law enforcement. As for your posts, many will remember this quote, "there are liars, damn liars and statistics".

Statistics play a role in explaining but never tell the whole story. And, it requires some background and intelligence to draw conclusions from statistical data. You seem to lack both a background in the CJS and some intelligence.

But keep on trolling; remember what honest Abe once said, "you can fool some of the people all of the time". Too bad for you not all of us are fools.

So you're a Meter Maid, big fucking deal , Sergeant Drebin :lol::lol::lol:

Recidivism ( /rɨˈsɪdɨvɪzəm/; from recidive + ism, from Latin recidīvus "recurring", from re- "back" + cadō "I fall") is the act of a person repeating an undesirable behavior after they have either experienced negative consequences of that behavior, or have been treated or trained to extinguish that behavior. It is also used to refer to the percentage of former prisoners who are rearrested.

So what do I need your "32 years in Law Enforcement" to tell me that the above doesn't make crystal clear? Or this:

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Recidivism

I don't give a rat's ass what you think of me, my posts or how you interpret or how you choose to spin things.

"Too bad for you not all of us are fools." You aren't in that group, Buford T. Justice.

Refute all the links I posted smart ass or STFU, Chief Wiggum.

And for an asswipe that calls me a troll...you sure go out of your way to reply to me, dumbass flatfoot. 10-4?

BTW, obsess much over people's post count, Marshal Monsanto? Second time today you brought it up. :eusa_whistle:

You want to look at "Stats" on a posters profile page? Take a long hard look at what's been said about you there before you cast stones, Sheriff Rosco P. Coltran!

Like I told you earlier, don't reply. No one is twisting your arm, LT Dangle. Now have a nice life, Barney Fife. :clap2:

Last edited:

As they should be. That is the law of the land. Any takers on wanting to change it?

THAT is NOT the law of the land. It is the law in some parts of the land. In most of the country once you have served your time and exhausted the parol you are either automatically re-enfranchised or may re-apply for voting privilege.

I am an ex felon and nearly all of my civil rights were restored after completing 2 years of parole. Including my right to vote.

Rights should be restored when all debts to society have been repaid. Many convicts I suspect are no different than most of you EXCEPT they got caught.

I am an ex felon and nearly all of my civil rights were restored after completing 2 years of parole. Including my right to vote.

Rights should be restored when all debts to society have been repaid. Many convicts I suspect are no different than most of you EXCEPT they got caught.

I think part of the problem is that people confuse all felonies with heinous crimes. Perjury is often a felony. It's a serious crime, no doubt, but how is society served by disallowing a former perjurer the right to vote or own weapons? Martha Stewart is a felon. What good is done by disallowing her to vote now that her debt is paid?

I think part of the problem is that people confuse all felonies with heinous crimes. Perjury is often a felony. It's a serious crime, no doubt, but how is society served by disallowing a former perjurer the right to vote or own weapons? Martha Stewart is a felon. What good is done by disallowing her to vote now that her debt is paid?

Because she is still a bossy snooty bitch. She didn't learn anything in the slammer. :lol:

Got that right. We're all guilty. Some get caught and some don't.

]

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits anyone under indictment for, or anyone who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (in other words any felony) from owning or having in their possession or control any firearm.

Glad to see someone knows what a felony is. Any crime for which you could (not did but could) have gotten a year or more in prison is a felony. That's a very low bar. Every day people are convicted of felonies and get straight probation. Should someone lose constitutional rights for a "crime" so minor it did not even warrant a single day in prison?

]

Most are returned to prison for parole violations not a crime. PV can be something like not holding a job or traveling outside the state.

[

Where do you stand on background checks for gun owners? Should felons be given access to a weapon but not a vote?

Free people need guns to defend themselves. We need to redefine "felony" at a much higher level so only criminals like murderers and rapists and speeders are classed as felons and denied RKBA.

Forum List

Back