Disagreeing with Trump's policy doesn't mean you agree with government handling of immigrants

R

rdean

Over 30 years ago when I worked out in the factory, the company hired a couple of South Vietnamese because the company got money from the government since these guys were basically refugees.

The Government gave them an apartment the government paid for, food subsidies, paid their lights and gas.

So one of the guys started going to the University and was taking the same engineering program I was taking. We graduated at the same time. The government paid for his education and even with the GI Bill (I'm a veteran), I still owed $56,000.

Then one day we were out on the floor and he started talking about what a great country this is. His family and a couple of other refugee families put their money together and bought a shopping center. And he talked about all the money his family and the other families got from the government that allowed them to do this and how they all now have their own houses and blah blah blah. The other people on the floor started looking pissed. So I told him he needs to shut up. And I told him this country doesn't help people that were born here like that. So you telling everyone how you got over and they have to work so hard for much less than what you got is creating hard feelings. So he shut up.

So a couple of years later we both graduated. I became an engineer and he became an international service technician since he spoke English, passable Chinese and Korean, and Vietnamese.

I never really thought about it because I'm a firm believer in "hard work has it's own rewards".

Then, a couple of years ago, a friend of mine came over with a friend of his who had been a refugee from Serbia (I think he said Serbia). He talked about getting an apartment in Chicago on Lakeshore Drive paid by the government and the government paid for his electric and gas.

And then a little bit ago, someone was talking on TV about ME refugees who were stopped and someone was saying, we have a house all ready for them.

While I have a problem with what Trump is doing, I also have a problem with refugee's getting unlimited free stuff. How to tone that down, I don't know. But I also know there is a limit.

While I never asked for anything and have never been in jail, when I was a teen and working at a restaurant as a bus boy, once in a while, I didn't eat for one of the two days off because I didn't have any money. a buck sixty five an hour is not much, even back then. And like I said, I went into the military, used the GI bill to become an engineer and paid off $56,000 in debt and was able to retire early since I don't reach 66 for a few more years.

I don't believe it right to be envious. But what about "fair"?

I think our leadership needs to examine what it means to be an American. Helping refugees is all fine and good, but how far do we go? My friend that brought his Serbian friend over had a heart attack and needed surgery. He lost everything he had during the Bush administration and he was only in his forties. He asked me how he could work so hard for so many years and have refugees come in and get so much and got very little help. Food stamps and a medical welfare card.

So yea, what Trump is doing is wrong. But at the same time. we need to reform our refugee system. Sometimes too much is just too much. How to figure that out, I don't know. But I also know it needs work.

This has needed fixing for decades and the system has avoided it. By design. The question is who does this situation serve? And if all you have is partisanshithead excuses and blame, then I'm afraid you really do not yet comprehend how your own power structure operates and answers to. Hint, it ain't never been "the people".

think of how it'll be for your young kids or other young American kids and millenials that are living in their Parents basements because they also have no money while foreigners are imported into the USA RDean . .

I see Mike and McMullin and Governor Herbert are caving into their LDS masters.

16425961_10208703805334701_2859790667605766174_n.jpg

Over 30 years ago when I worked out in the factory, the company hired a couple of South Vietnamese because the company got money from the government since these guys were basically refugees.

The Government gave them an apartment the government paid for, food subsidies, paid their lights and gas.

So one of the guys started going to the University and was taking the same engineering program I was taking. We graduated at the same time. The government paid for his education and even with the GI Bill (I'm a veteran), I still owed $56,000.

Then one day we were out on the floor and he started talking about what a great country this is. His family and a couple of other refugee families put their money together and bought a shopping center. And he talked about all the money his family and the other families got from the government that allowed them to do this and how they all now have their own houses and blah blah blah. The other people on the floor started looking pissed. So I told him he needs to shut up. And I told him this country doesn't help people that were born here like that. So you telling everyone how you got over and they have to work so hard for much less than what you got is creating hard feelings. So he shut up.

So a couple of years later we both graduated. I became an engineer and he became an international service technician since he spoke English, passable Chinese and Korean, and Vietnamese.

I never really thought about it because I'm a firm believer in "hard work has it's own rewards".

Then, a couple of years ago, a friend of mine came over with a friend of his who had been a refugee from Serbia (I think he said Serbia). He talked about getting an apartment in Chicago on Lakeshore Drive paid by the government and the government paid for his electric and gas.

And then a little bit ago, someone was talking on TV about ME refugees who were stopped and someone was saying, we have a house all ready for them.

While I have a problem with what Trump is doing, I also have a problem with refugee's getting unlimited free stuff. How to tone that down, I don't know. But I also know there is a limit.

While I never asked for anything and have never been in jail, when I was a teen and working at a restaurant as a bus boy, once in a while, I didn't eat for one of the two days off because I didn't have any money. a buck sixty five an hour is not much, even back then. And like I said, I went into the military, used the GI bill to become an engineer and paid off $56,000 in debt and was able to retire early since I don't reach 66 for a few more years.

I don't believe it right to be envious. But what about "fair"?

I think our leadership needs to examine what it means to be an American. Helping refugees is all fine and good, but how far do we go? My friend that brought his Serbian friend over had a heart attack and needed surgery. He lost everything he had during the Bush administration and he was only in his forties. He asked me how he could work so hard for so many years and have refugees come in and get so much and got very little help. Food stamps and a medical welfare card.

So yea, what Trump is doing is wrong. But at the same time. we need to reform our refugee system. Sometimes too much is just too much. How to figure that out, I don't know. But I also know it needs work.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks RDean , back on topic , maybe !! And you aren't envious , all you are doing is seeing how Your tax money is misspent on imported people , mostly third worlders ..

About 15 years ago I was living on the Gulf Coast in the far west Florida panhandle. I bought a home there and lived in an upscale housing community. In the neighborhood was a couple house's owned by Vietnamese families. They were kinda the talk of the neighborhood because both families had moved their cooking stoves into the garage, next to the washer and dryer.

Mind you now, all of the homes where new 3 or 4 bedroom brick, with double car garage and large manicured lawns.

The wives would open the double garage door, squat down asian style while wearing their conical pointed hats, and cook their fish and boil rice for the family meal. Quite the sight for anyone driving thru the neighborhood.

My kids went to school with their kids, so I knew a couple of them. One day one of the Vietnamese boys knocked on my door and asked if I had jumper cables, and he could borrow them because his father's car had a dead battery. I said no problem an gave the cables to him.

A few days later his father knocked on my door and was holding the jumper cables and a bag with about 20 pounds of large fresh Gulf shrimp. In broken english, he said they were a gift for the use of the cables.

We got to talking, and come to find out he and the other family in the the neighborhood were both fishermen and owned big fishing trawlers in Mississippi and Louisiana, and went out catching shrimp and fish several weeks at a time. They had came pennyless to America, but the U.S. government gave them the money to buy the boats, which are very expensive, (hundreds of thousands of dollars), and money for their families to live on.

Long story short, this happened all along the Gulf Coast, and the American fishermen who were still using older boats and equipment. Were at a disadvantage and could barely compete with the Vietnamese and their government subsidized boats and equipment. In fact many American's were driven out of business because of soo many Vietnamese fishermen flooding the industry, and driving the price of shrimp and fish down.

Last edited:
you starting to figure things out eh RDean ??
I'm not sure what your code is, "figure things out", but I figured things out a couple of decades ago.

I also figured out that if you make 22 million in a year, you should be paying 25 to 30% tax on it the same way I do. Not getting a billion and paying nothing for 10 years straight.

Forum List

Back