Difference between England and the UK

B

Blighty

Do Americans actually know the difference between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and England?

From lurking; I've noticed that everyone bar the UK members seem to get English matters confused with British matters.

here's a start:

Tony Blair is leader of the UK not England
The Government at Westminster is the UK government not the English government (England doesn't have a parliment)
England is set to go through devolution to create 12 UK regions including Scotland and Wales. (Scotland,Wales and London already have self rule to an extent)

The major players in the UK government are Scottish (ie, Tony B.liar, Gordon Brown, Jack Straw etc etc)

British is a term which is becoming less and less used in the UK people are prefering to go as English Scottish or Welsh.

Wales is a principality of England (ie another region, what ever goes for England goes for Wales hence English Law, Scotland has Scots Law)

England's being done over by the Scottish contingent (ie, English MP's cant have a say on what goes on in Scotland, but Scottish Mp's can have a say on whats happening in England and Wales!! example Tuition fees, and also Scottish MP opens a toll road in England but he's not answerable to any English voters)

Just Because something is done under the BRITISH banner doesn't mean the English are the major player. As far as I'm concerned Scotland is Licking the balls of the USofA not England or Wales. (Tony B.liar the wanna be Englishman)

(Ps. I've left N.I out on purpose as they dont come under the United Kingdom of Great Britain banner)

When Blair wants to give up a major portion of his power to the EU control, it doesn't really matter WHICH country he represents, does it?

True, but he's given us a Referendum so the people of the UK will decide. (Referendum was confirmed today by the PM on TV)

Personally I would like the UK to become like the US. By this I mean each state has self rule to an extent but major things such as defence, foreign policy etc are dealt with by a central government.

Britain is a strange place the Scots hate the English, the Welsh hate the English, The Scots want away from Wales and England and the English just dont care about either,lol

I think being apart of Europe is vital for the long term future of the UK but the emphasis should be "IN EUROPE but not ran by EUROPE"...Got to give the Scot some credit he's not willing to budge on some things ie TAX, Defence the main things that make us a nation.

The Referendum will be the pivotal point, If it's going to help UK business and the individual etc we should go for it but if it means national citizenship comes after EU citizenship then I'm sorry it's a non starter.

You dont sound very "Ant-US". Maybe this should be in another category. Its far too intelligent compared to most posts that happen in here. I'd hate to lump this in with all of them.

In reply to Insein:

Your right it should of been put in another forum, the only problem I had, was, which one? I'm new so I don't really know what goes on. <<How do I move it?>>

Just to let everyone know especially the American members I'm NOT anti american, sure you piss me off every now and again,lol, I admit admiration on certain aspects.

Ps.. I wasnt putting Americans down with the original thread I was just asking If people understood the difference? and made a few points (Most people around the world including Americans think Britain is another word for England)

This forum will work. While its not speaking about anything against the us, it doesn't deal with the US other than explaining the structure and political involvement between the UK and england. We can put it in General Chat if theres an issue with it.

Forum List

Back