Did Roberts Change His Mind ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Listening, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Rumors had been circulating in legal circles for weeks that Chief Justice Roberts in particular was under enormous political pressure not to be the vote that would overturn the most significant piece of social legislation passed by Congress in decades. Indeed, in April President Obama took the unusual step of issuing something of a public warning on the subject, saying that he was “confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.”

It is impossible for a lawyer to read even the first few pages of the dissent without coming away with the impression that this is a majority opinion that at the last moment lost its fifth vote. Its structure and tone are those of a winning coalition, not that of the losing side in the most controversial Supreme Court case in many years. But when we get to Page 13, far more conclusive evidence appears: No less than 15 times in the space of the next few pages, the dissent refers to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s concurring opinion as “Justice Ginsburg’s dissent.”

There is one likely explanation for this: The dissent was the majority opinion when those who voted to overturn the entire ACA signed off on sending their text to the printer. In other words, Chief Justice Roberts changed his vote at the very last possible moment.

Did John Roberts switch his vote? - Salon.com

Enormous political pressure to not overturn ?

How in the hell does a CJ bow to political pressure. I don't give a rats ass about the "legitimacy" of the court. If Roberts caved, he should remove himself from the court. We don't need him.

The very idea that we have this sorry assed legislation because he bowed...makes me vomit.

And, I like that the article specfically points out that Obama made those public statements.

Obama...our so-called "Constitutional Scholar"/Moron-In-Chief basically would be guilty of interfering with what is supposed to be a separate branch of government.

But you libs liked that...anything for the victory...You've joined Obama in wiping your asses with the constitution for decades. You might as well have it printed on Charmin so you can make the job easier.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Maybe he was thinking that he was going to take the blame for biggest piece of partisan political sabotage since he allowed corporate control of our national elections. You guys have that, with that you can get all kinds of societal sabotage and chaotic change for the worse. Be glad, republicans will probably still be able to dump huge numbers of poor people from other things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    If he was thinking that....he should quit.

There is no getting around the fact he saved the law from the pathetic arguments of the admin by finding a backdoor for it.

If you are still bitter about Citizens United.....I thought it sucked....you can join PockFace Brown to get it overturned. I think it was bad law. it should be challenged legislatively.

Just like Obamacare.

I guess two wrongs make a right in the world of the left and John Roberts.

4. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Personally I think he was swayed, but then again... it doesn't matter to a hill of beans... we will not know for decades.

5. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    It matters to me that somehow the administration might have gotten to Roberts.

It is clear that Obama was openly challenging them. Besides the fact that he is an arrogant asshole.......he claims to know the constitution....

Mabye the first affirmative action president does not think the constitution applies to him.

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Maybe he should quit, maybe he no longer has the stomach to be a right wing jerk.

7. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Maybe Dick Cheney could take him and Ginsburg duck hunting !

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,041
    Who did roberts receive this enormous pressure from.....?

Certainly not just a statement by the president....

So who was this supposed pressure from, that runs in Robert's circle?

Sorry, that is just too much like a conspiracy projection than anything else....

9. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    I am in full agreement with you, but do you actually think that anyone in office has the balls to stand up to these constitution killing bastards?
    Frankly I don't... look at how they have let Obama and Holder walk all over the rule of law... look at how they are letting Obama thumbs his nose at the border... look at how they let him enforece some laws but not others....

The Repubix do not have the intestinal fortitude to beat a traffic ticket in court.

Yep, it would be nice to know, but that won't happen any time soon.

(I think there will be things come out about this regime many years from now that will be staggering, but thats just me.)

10. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    It is not unusual for judges to fail to meet partisan expectations after they have occupied the position for a while.