Did Hillarys Unsecured Email Server Get ProAmerican Spies Killed?

Clinton’s email server did not lead to an Iranian scientist’s death

Despite what you might read on Donald Trump’s twitter feed, the Iranian execution of a nuclear scientist who defected to the United States and then changed his mind was not caused by Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server. The scientist outed himself; it wasn’t Clinton’s fault.

The Iranian government announced Sunday it had executed Shahram Amiri, a nuclear scientist who spent about 14 months in the United States in 2009 and 2010. Senator Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) noted on Sunday’s Face the Nation that Amiri’s case had been discussed by top Clinton State Department officials on emails that passed through her private server.

“I’m not going to comment on what he may or may not have done for the United States government, but in the emails that were on Hillary Clinton’s private server, there were conversations among her senior advisors about this gentleman,” Cotton said. “That goes to show just how reckless and careless her decision was to put that kind of highly classified information on a private server.”

The Drudge Report ran the story with a banner title, “Clinton email led to execution in Iran?” which Trump promptly retweeted without comment to his 10.7 million followers.

<snip>

“The Trump campaign has never met a conspiracy theory it didn’t like. He and his supporters continue to use increasingly desperate rhetoric to attack Hillary Clinton and make absurd accusations because they have no ideas for the American people,” said Clinton campaign spokesman Jesse Lehrich. “It’s pretty remarkable to baselessly claim that Hillary Clinton is responsible for this tragic death.”

<snip>

In 2010, I covered Amiri’s strange case for Foreign Policy magazine and watched in real time as the Clinton State Department struggled to deal with Amiri’s story. When Amiri arrived at the Pakistani embassy, he was asking to be sent back to Iran. He had an elaborate story for how he had gotten there.

According to what Amiri told Pakistani and Iranian officials, he was kidnapped in Medina, Saudi Arabia in 2009, on his way to the mosque, thrown in a van, drugged, and taken the United States. He claimed he never gave any information to the U.S. government and that he was moved around a lot, staying mostly in Arizona and Washington, DC.

For some unknown reason, 14 months into his capture, the U.S. government put Amiri in a cab and had him shipped back into Iranian hands, according to the story Amiri told just before he returned to Iran. He never explained how or why he was able to record Youtube videos during his alleged capture, each of which had different accounts of what happened to him.

U.S. officials at the time told me and many other journalists that Amiri had defected to the United States of his own free will and had helped the U.S. for many years while he was in Iran by providing essential intelligence information about Iran’s nuclear program. The Washington Post reported at the time the U.S. government had paid Amiri $5 million.

Clinton talked publicly about the case at the time. “He’s free to go. He was free to come. These decisions are his alone to make,” she said on July 13, 2010.

There are several possible explanations as to why Amiri decided to go home and face the judgment of the Iranian justice system, which concluded he was a traitor. The Iranian government may have threatened his wife and 7-year old son. He may have hated life on the run. He may have had a change of heart.

But there’s no reasonable connection between the discussion of Amiri’s case on email by Clinton’s staff to Amiri’s eventual execution. There’s no evidence her server was hacked. The Iranians knew all about Amiri well before the emails were released publicly. His kidnapping story never held water and his fate was sealed long before his sentence was carried out.

Add Shahram Amiri to the list of deaths Trump has carelessly speculated that Clinton is responsible for with no real evidence. At least he can’t blame her for the Kennedy assassination; he’s already got a conspiracy theory for that one."

Add Shahram Amiri to the list of deaths Trump has carelessly speculated that Clinton is responsible for with no real evidence.
"No real evidence" = "I will never become convinced because I am a political hack and who gets killed really does not bother me as long as I get my free shit."

Paperview, you dont even make a pretense of having any concern for this hanged nuclear scientist who made the mistake of trusting the US government to protect him from the Iranian Mullahs.
As usual, Bow head doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
I have worked in IT with the federal government for over 22 years, and you obviously dont know jacks shit about how a system is secured under DOD guidelines.

So why dont you just shut the fuck up and stop embarrassing yourself, nitwit?

Add Shahram Amiri to the list of deaths Trump has carelessly speculated that Clinton is responsible for with no real evidence.
"No real evidence" = "I will never become convinced because I am a political hack and who gets killed really does not bother me as long as I get my free shit."

Paperview, you dont even make a pretense of having any concern for this hanged nuclear scientist who made the mistake of trusting the US government to protect him from the Iranian Mullahs.

Iranians believed he was kidnapped out of Mecca. That's why they initially demanded his return. After 14 MONTHS in the US -- and Clinton's statements about being "free to stay or go" -- it would be clear to a moron that he been turned or was always an inbed agent.

For some unknown reason, 14 months into his capture, the U.S. government put Amiri in a cab and had him shipped back into Iranian hands, according to the story Amiri told just before he returned to Iran. He never explained how or why he was able to record Youtube videos during his alleged capture, each of which had different accounts of what happened to him.

FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON?? God -- the stupidity needs fixing.

US should never have approved his return. Especially if the Iranians were demanding that as precondition to Nuclear talks. If you think a single Iranian defector/informer was gonna keep Clinton/Obama from "making history" by bending over to Iran in those talks --- you're an idiot.

The talks were far more important than the ethics or the life. And who the fuck CONFIRMED that he had helped us? And who was the source for us purportedly PAYING him large sums of money?

This ENTIRE deal reaks of cheap politics, loose lips, EPIC incompetency and bungled diplomacy. REGARDLESS of what emails have surfaced. It was Amateur Hour in spyville during her tenure. At least as applied to the State Dept role in returning him...

There are still 30,000 out there. Not counting the ones that WERE HACKED on Sidney Blumenthals private email.

Last edited:

I have worked in IT with the federal government for over 22 years, and you obviously dont know jacks shit about how a system is secured under DOD guidelines.

So why dont you just shut the fuck up and stop embarrassing yourself, nitwit?
There's no fixing Bow man level of stupidity.

That's been clear for a long time.

Iranians believed he was kidnapped out of Mecca. That's why they initially demanded his return. After 14 MONTHS in the US -- and Clinton's statements about being "free to stay or go" -- it would be clear to a moron that he been turned or was always an inbed agent.

US should never have approved his return. Especially if the Iranians were demanding that as precondition to Nuclear talks. If you think a single Iranian defector/informer was gonna keep Clinton/Obama from "making history" by bending over to Iran in those talks --- you're an idiot.

The talks were far more important than the ethics or the life. And who the fuck CONFIRMED that he had helped us? And who was the source for us purportedly PAYING him large sums of money?

This ENTIRE deal reaks of cheap politics, loose lips, EPIC incompetency and bungled diplomacy. REGARDLESS of what emails have surfaced. It was Amateur Hour in spyville during her tenure. At least as applied to the State Dept role in returning him...

There are still 30,000 out there. Not counting the ones that WERE HACKED on Sidney Blumenthals private email.
You reek of desperation and low info.

Trump’s remarkable suggestion that Clinton’s emails led to an Iranian defector’s death

<snip>

“Mr. Amiri has been in the United States of his own free will and he is free to go. In fact, he was scheduled to travel to Iran yesterday but was unable to make all of the necessary arrangements to reach Iran through transit countries. … He’s free to go. He was free to come. These decisions are his alone to make.”

July 14, 2010: Iranian scientist heads homeward in anger

An Iranian nuclear scientist who had disappeared in Saudi Arabia last summer stepped out of a cab in front of Iran’s diplomatic mission in Washington on Monday, asking for a ticket back to his homeland. Shahram Amiri told officials that he had been abducted by U.S. intelligence operatives and had spent much of the past year in Tucson being questioned about Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

July 15, 2010: U.S. paid $5 million to Iranian scientist

The Iranian nuclear scientist who claimed to have been abducted by the CIA before departing for his homeland Wednesday was paid more than $5 million by the agency to provide intelligence on Iran’s nuclear program, U.S. officials said.

Shahram Amiri is not obligated to return the money but might be unable to access it after breaking off what U.S. officials described as significant cooperation with the CIA and abruptly returning to Iran. Officials said he might have left out of concern that the Tehran government would harm his family.

The Pinocchio Test
As can be seen with this timeline of newspaper articles, the defection and then return of Amiri was widely covered in the news media in 2009 and 2010. Iranian officials could have learned everything they needed to know about Amiri’s defection from reading The Post. Moreover, Iran first publicly raised questions about his disappearance. There was little to be learned from the cryptic messages in Clinton’s emails, even if Iran had somehow gained access to Clinton’s server.

Mystery solved! And four more Pinocchios for Donald Trump.

pinocchio_4.jpg

You reek of desperation and low info.

Trump’s remarkable suggestion that Clinton’s emails led to an Iranian defector’s death

<snip>

“Mr. Amiri has been in the United States of his own free will and he is free to go. In fact, he was scheduled to travel to Iran yesterday but was unable to make all of the necessary arrangements to reach Iran through transit countries. … He’s free to go. He was free to come. These decisions are his alone to make.”

July 14, 2010: Iranian scientist heads homeward in anger

An Iranian nuclear scientist who had disappeared in Saudi Arabia last summer stepped out of a cab in front of Iran’s diplomatic mission in Washington on Monday, asking for a ticket back to his homeland. Shahram Amiri told officials that he had been abducted by U.S. intelligence operatives and had spent much of the past year in Tucson being questioned about Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

July 15, 2010: U.S. paid $5 million to Iranian scientist

The Iranian nuclear scientist who claimed to have been abducted by the CIA before departing for his homeland Wednesday was paid more than $5 million by the agency to provide intelligence on Iran’s nuclear program, U.S. officials said.

Shahram Amiri is not obligated to return the money but might be unable to access it after breaking off what U.S. officials described as significant cooperation with the CIA and abruptly returning to Iran. Officials said he might have left out of concern that the Tehran government would harm his family.

The Pinocchio Test
As can be seen with this timeline of newspaper articles, the defection and then return of Amiri was widely covered in the news media in 2009 and 2010. Iranian officials could have learned everything they needed to know about Amiri’s defection from reading The Post. Moreover, Iran first publicly raised questions about his disappearance. There was little to be learned from the cryptic messages in Clinton’s emails, even if Iran had somehow gained access to Clinton’s server.

Mystery solved! And four more Pinocchios for Donald Trump.

pinocchio_4.jpg

You obviously don't care about the unethical and immoral. Only concerned with the politics. OTHERWISE you'd see a LOT of glaring fuck-ups by the Admin in that timeline.

1) Admitting that he was "free to come" and "free to go".. Blowing the guys' cover story about being abducted.. WHO did that? The ClintHag did that.

2) Whoever confirmed that he HELPED US -- signed his death warrant. WHERE did this come from? And WHY is this person not in jail?

3) Whoever confirmed that we PAID HIM --- signed his death warrant. WHERE did this come from? And WHY is this person not in jail?

The State Dept BURNED this guy. The Iranians were threatening his family and AMERICANS were slicing him to the knees to GUARANTEE he'd be prosecuted and executed if he went. That was OUR unethical method of trying to KEEP him here.

"Free to come or go" ???? You're an idiot..

Whoever confirmed that he HELPED US -- signed his death warrant. WHERE did this come from? And WHY is this person not in jail?
It was the CIA not the State Dept.

EXCLUSIVE: Iran Nuke Scientist Defects to U.S.

An award-winning Iranian nuclear scientist, who disappeared last year under mysterious circumstances, has defected to the CIA and been resettled in the United States, according to people briefed on the operation by intelligence officials.

The officials were said to have termed the defection of the scientist, Shahram Amiri, "an intelligence coup" in the continuing CIA operation to spy on and undermine Iran's nuclear program.

the information these aides were discussing in these email chains, was NOT information gotten from the Government's Top Secret System.
FlacalTenn has a solid point here, C4A, in that classified data can come from anywhere, but any person who handles said information is responsible not only for the document but for the information itself. Transcribing the data from a classified document to a nonclassified system using reworded text, is not protecting the information itself which is the primary goal.

But I appreciate the attitude you have of wanting to secure classified information as we discuss how that needs to be done. Too many people are political hacks who really could not care less who gets hurt from careless handling of this material.
Thank you! :)

They never got the information from the classified system from what I understand, they got the info from Blumenthal and didn't even know this info was on theT/S classified system, and for a few of the email chains, they took place PRIOR to the intelligence community gathering it from their resources and adding it to the top secret classified in house system.

It's hard to judge the real situation without all the facts...and a lot of speculating!

Regardless the State department needs to be able to communicate high and low level classified info while on the road and out of the office...there has to be a way to have something like this set up in this day and age but I am about at first grade level at best, when it comes to stuff like this??

she may have screwed up and got this man executed....really? there are people who will vote for this idiot?

Cotton: Clinton discussed executed Iranian scientist on email

Mr. Ram, this has been posted before and this is the content Mr. Cotton is referring to:

""We have a diplomatic, 'psychological' issue, not a legal one. Our friend has to be given a way out," the email by Richard Morningstar, a former State Department special envoy for Eurasian energy, read, according to the Associated Press. "Our person won't be able to do anything anyway. If he has to leave so be it."

Unless Mr. Amiri changed his name to "Our friend" I don't know how anyone can prove that this missive was about him specifically.
Nice try...they knew who he was by that time not what he did....Clinton wrecklessly clued them in

That doesn't appear to be in Mr. Cotton's comments. (Not that Mr. Cotton doesn't have a motive here.) Would you care to verify?

MOST amusing you questioning someone's credibility given your choice of a well-known liar for your avatar. Vividly demonstrating the hypocrisy of Progressives! Here's another one you may use.

warren-tonto.jpg

:badgrin: Guess you had no proof? No big surprise.

No need for further proof. She's no native American and even the Indian tribes have said she is no Indian.

Whoever confirmed that he HELPED US -- signed his death warrant. WHERE did this come from? And WHY is this person not in jail?

An award-winning Iranian nuclear scientist, who disappeared last year under mysterious circumstances, has defected to the CIA and been resettled in the United States, according to people briefed on the operation by intelligence officials.

The officials were said to have termed the defection of the scientist, Shahram Amiri, "an intelligence coup" in the continuing CIA operation to spy on and undermine Iran's nuclear program.

CIA doesn't make public announcements like that. At least not in domestic spy operations. This all happened because Obama/Clinton was struggling to satisfy the Iranians so they could make history with their ill-conceived nuclear negotiations. Rather than protect his alibi and story --- STATE probably got impatient with him and tried to BURN his bridge back to Iran.. Which they did. They signed his death warrant.

He SHOULD have been "detained" by any PRINCIPLED and long term focused Administration.. And they all should have kept their damn mouths shut..

WOW! BREAKING=> Julian Assange Suggests Seth Rich - Who Was MURDERED in DC - Was Wikileaks DNC Source!

On July 8, 2016, 27 year-old Democratic staffer Seth Conrad Rich was murdered in Washington DC. The killer or killers took nothing from their victim, leaving behind his wallet, watch and phone.

Shortly after the killing, Redditors and social media users were pursuing a “lead” saying that Rich was en route to the FBI the morning of his murder, apparently intending to speak to special agents about an “ongoing court case” possibly involving the Clinton family.

Seth Rich’s father Joel told reporters, “If it was a robbery — it failed because he still has his watch, he still has his money — he still has his credit cards, still had his phone so it was a wasted effort except we lost a life.”...

Julian Assange: Whistleblowers go to significant efforts to get us material and often very significant risks. As a 27 year-old, works for the DNC, was shot in the back, murdered just a few weeks ago for unknown reasons as he was walking down the street in Washington.

Reporter: That was just a robbery, I believe. Wasn’t it?

Julian Assange: No. There’s no finding. So… I’m suggesting that our sources take risks.

Last edited:

CIA doesn't make public announcements like that. At least not in domestic spy operations. This all happened because Obama/Clinton was struggling to satisfy the Iranians so they could make history with their ill-conceived nuclear negotiations. Rather than protect his alibi and story --- STATE probably got impatient with him and tried to BURN his bridge back to Iran.. Which they did. They signed his death warrant.

He SHOULD have been "detained" by any PRINCIPLED and long term focused Administration.. And they all should have kept their damn mouths shut..
You gotta love the Right, debunk their GOP scripted lie about Hillary's server with proof that the media reported his spying activities BEFORE any email was written, and they can make up any other conjecture to continue to blame Hillary and that settles it.

Clinton probably got one or more people killed due to her carelessness with the emails and Trump probably had a college/university scam going the bilked money from gullible students.
However, neither will be prosecuted while running for president as they are the only two major players left.
Once one of them has been voted into office by the Electoral College, the loser may and I emphasize may, face some repercussions for past actions.

You gotta love the Right, debunk their GOP scripted lie about Hillary's server with proof that the media reported his spying activities BEFORE any email was written, and they can make up any other conjecture to continue to blame Hillary and that settles it.

I don't give a damn about the emails. I CARE about her ACTIONS. And the actions of this Admin..

Forum List

Back