desantis says some slaves may have been taught to be a blacksmith...a good thing!

I have read it. And I have seen at least one interview. Again READ what I wrote before you shoot your mouth off.

And it's most definitely NOT the propaganda line. The propaganda line is that the curriculum is whitewashing slavery. A viewpoint I don't endorse let alone espouse. It's just as dishonest a statement in my view as the statement that I am simply touting a party line.

My argument is purely based on my perception of the average middle schooler. And their inability and uninterest in taking a nuanced view of slavery without some drawing the conclusion that slavery wasn't all that bad. An argument you aren't addressing because your to busy making assumptions about me.
This curriculum is not the end of the efforts to paint slavery in a favorable color. It is the beginning. I am sure red states will take the effort forward. Florida is now be ruled by a dye in the wool fascist. Until the citizens rise up and vote out him and his like, they will continue down his chosen road.

This curriculum is not the end of the efforts to paint slavery in a favorable color. It is the beginning. I am sure red states will take the effort forward. Florida is now be ruled by a dye in the wool fascist. Until the citizens rise up and vote out him and his like, they will continue down his chosen road.
As I said I don't agree with that. I read the actual curriculum. It's very clear that slavery was abhorrent. I hate Desantis. And I completely understand why this would be your conclusion. He is worse than a bigot. He pretends to be a bigot so he can appeal to actual bigots. Having said that the actual curriculum doesn't support the view that this is part of it.

The sentence is ill advised for the reasons I laid out. But I refuse to let my opinion about Desantis cloud my judgement.

Well boy howdy, The College Board African American Studies course includes basically the same thing that the Florida one does: "Once free, American Americans used these skills to provide for themselves and others."

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 11.35.07 AM.png

This shows just how fucked up this country is! For people who actually think slavery was a benefit to African-Americans, I have this to say..

...FUCK YOU!
Slavery WASN'T a benefit to slaves, but SOME slaves learned valuable skills that could provide profits while they were enslaved and helped them make a living after they were manumitted.

desantis says some slaves may have been taught to be a blacksmith...a good thing!​

So, if you teach a slave a skill that only you will profit from….. that is somehow admirable?
In many cases slaves were allowed to profit from their skills by working on their own time. Even while enslaved, slaves farmed for their own consumption and produced items for sale with their skills. Does that make slavery any less horrible? NO.

In many cases slaves were allowed to profit from their skills by working on their own time. Even while enslaved, slaves farmed for their own consumption and produced items for sale with their skills. Does that make slavery any less horrible? NO.

Slaves were also rented out to neighbors to pick crops and provide craft skills.

I believe that men like DeSantis needs a chance. Stop with the propaganda. See where it goes. See if things improve. All it is, is a little time. Education needs to be improved. Teaching about slavery is important. Spending endless hours on it is not. English Language courses, Spelling, Writing, Science and Mathematics is what is the real prize to learn.

Forum List

Back